Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glowingheart said:
I dont agree with you

its easy to get a job but to progress in a job get promotions etc requires skills

lots of people say that its only networking, influences, etc cause they beleive that once they land everybody will fight to get him

thats the BS that 80% of the immigrants have in the brain ( I Had the same) but i started in the lowest possition in the company that brought me to canada having to do crappy shifts and dealing with a dush manager thatr had no knowledge or talent at all

3 years later I clibed up to be the manager of my departmen got a offer from a competing company doubling my salary

i could of cried back then and said that Canada sucks cause I had toi do 12 hour days divided in 4 shifts or that I was loading trucks at -40 when Im a Engenieer with 20+ years of experience and multiple awards in my career

bu I said I came here to work and prove myself I knew it was not gonna be easy and I did it

now Im supper happy established
I did not say that because I wanted. I said it based on experiences and many experiences. Unfortunately, Canada is NOT US (not for advanced graduate degree holders). People who were lucky to land a job even after these temporarily (survival) jobs don't realize this.
I have seen the case you talked about an electrical engineer with 20years of experience who landed a job in construction. He could not handle the job as I believe his qualifications and experience were not a match. Yes had he been a civil engineer, it would have been better!

The regional manager of that construction company is a crane operator. He does not know whom he hires instead he hires...
They look for who will get the job done which is OK...the few P.E.'s all they know is simple quantity take off ... No intense engineering
They hired few newly graduate engineers with advanced degrees (in different desciplines) non of them stayed at least in that branch...Some were fired, some figured it early and requested to be transfered, some struggled to prove themselves

Then look at highly paid jobs without skills which requires only networking or favoritism. I know many highly paid managers with high school and no skill or qualification...I'll be more specific a guy landed a job for being the boy friend of the owner's daughter...I know he's got a different skill or qualification...

Shaukat57

Nov 3, 2010
Multan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2011
Doc's Request.
Submitted with Application
AOR Received.
29-03-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted along with application
File Transfer...
08-04-2011(RBVO) ,In-process with processing date:18 -o6-12
Med's Request
April 02,2013.
Med's Done....
29-April-2013
Interview........
Waived,Alhamdulillah
Passport Req..
PPR-1 at 09-10-13, PPR-2 at 24-10-13
VISA ISSUED...
On-line Status:Decision Made at 26-10-13
LANDED..........
Planning

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
Dr Eng X said:
I did not say that because I wanted. I said it based on experiences and many experiences. Unfortunately, Canada is NOT US (not for advanced graduate degree holders). People who were lucky to land a job even after these temporarily (survival) jobs don't realize this.
I have seen the case you talked about an electrical engineer with 20years of experience who landed a job in construction. He could not handle the job as I believe his qualifications and experience were not a match. Yes had he been a civil engineer, it would have been better!

The regional manager of that construction company is a crane operator. He does not know whom he hires instead he hires...
They look for who will get the job done which is OK...the few P.E.'s all they know is simple quantity take off ... No intense engineering
They hired few newly graduate engineers with advanced degrees (in different desciplines) non of them stayed at least in that branch...Some were fired, some figured it early and requested to be transfered, some struggled to prove themselves

Then look at highly paid jobs without skills which requires only networking or favoritism. I know many highly paid managers with high school and no skill or qualification...I'll be more specific a guy landed a job for being the boy friend of the owner's daughter...I know he's got a different skill or qualification...
What province is this case from?
If it happens to be in alberta Does he has APEGA"
I tell you the oil and gas sector hires tons and tons of engenieers its a huge markrt here in ab and sask

Im a different type im a sound engenieer so my market is a very small on but it has been good

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glowingheart said:
What province is this case from?
If it happens to be in alberta Does he has APEGA"
I tell you the oil and gas sector hires tons and tons of engenieers its a huge markrt here in ab and sask

Im a different type im a sound engenieer so my market is a very small on but it has been good
Yes Alberta, I am not sure which are you asking about?
All cases are in Alberta. They don't need academic degrees

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
Dr Eng X said:
Yes Alberta, I am not sure which are you asking about?
All cases are in Alberta. They don't need academic degrees
they should register in APEGA and do the tests

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glowingheart said:
they should register in APEGA and do the tests
Believe me some did it is even worse I know few PhD's with APEGA. Then registering for APEGA is not like you take a test and pass. It is not like this, it is like who comes first the egg or the chicken, how can you get experience when you can't get a job. Then APEGA needs fees, membership, continuing practice...etc.

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Can general labour wages cover all of living cost in Alberta ? I heard living cost over there is higher than Ontario and 8 months of winter with -30 to -40 C.... Is that true ?

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
sunsun said:
Can general labour wages cover all of living cost in Alberta ? I heard living cost over there is higher than Ontario and 8 months of winter with -30 to -40 C.... Is that true ?
If you're careful with your spending you'd be fine. We don't have 8 months of winter, last year the first snowfall wasn't until November in Edmonton and we had 1 week at the end of February where temperatures dropped to around -30. It really isn't as terrible as everyone makes out, you just prepare for it!

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canooknic said:
If you're careful with your spending you'd be fine. We don't have 8 months of winter, last year the first snowfall wasn't until November in Edmonton and we had 1 week at the end of February where temperatures dropped to around -30. It really isn't as terrible as everyone makes out, you just prepare for it!
last winter was an exception

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
Dr Eng X said:
yes last year was a warm one but normally in calgary is a week or 2 below 20 the rest is around -15 and its not as bad unless you work as a ski instructor
normally by halloween there is or has been snow on the ground

its true that is more expensive than Ontario but hourly rate is often higher as well

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Dr Eng X said:
Yes, it was a good winter but a normal winter is not 8 months of -30!!!

sunsun

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Some of us are still waiting for their PR process since 8 years ago and desperate (Pre Feb 2008) because CIC has removed 280.000 applicants plus their families . Some of us are just disappointed even they are already in Canada because they have Master / Phd degree but
still working in the field which is not their dream jobs....That's Life.... :'(

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajjj said:
I AGREE WITH U ...THOSE PEOPLES POSTING HERE SO MANY VIEWS .... THOSE PEOPLES R GOT JOBS .......BY REFERENCE .......................UNDERSTAND . ONLY WAY TO GETTING JOB IN CANADA IS NETWORKING NETWORKING AND NETWORKING THAT'S IT AND SKILL AND EXPERIENCE IS NOT MANDATORY IN CANADA
If "ONLY WAY TO GETTING JOB IN CANADA IS NETWORKING NETWORKING AND NETWORKING THAT'S IT AND SKILL AND EXPERIENCE IS NOT MANDATORY IN CANADA", I was wondering how I got two professional jobs (white color) after completing PGD without networking. I got the first job within a month of completing PGD and the second one while I was working on a first one. BTW, I'm an immigrant.

You shouldn't mislead people if you haven't the proper info. You could say that networking is important but it also depends on situation and place.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scorpion_ca said:
If "ONLY WAY TO GETTING JOB IN CANADA IS NETWORKING NETWORKING AND NETWORKING THAT'S IT AND SKILL AND EXPERIENCE IS NOT MANDATORY IN CANADA", I was wondering how I got two professional jobs (white color) after completing PGD without networking. I got the first job within a month of completing PGD and the second one while I was working on a first one. BTW, I'm an immigrant.

You shouldn't mislead people if you haven't the proper info. You could say that networking is important but it also depends on situation and place.
There are exceptions but not many and it is among certain jobs! Would you highlight PGD? More about your career!

Status
Not open for further replies.