+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO NOT COME TO CANADA (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus66052

May 9, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let me see if I can do this with a less emotional tone this time around!

I tried to give a general picture of my experience in the first post. It's time to reveal a few more specifics of my situation: I decided to settle in Toronto because I thought it's the largest city in Canada and hence it must have the largest job market. Whether that's true or not is not my concern here. I applied for jobs spanning a wide range of skills, from unskilled grocery store stocking jobs to Business Analyst position with the big five banks. Of course I scoured the national market for jobs in my preferred occupation (college instructor) but I was certainly under no illusions as to what I could expect when starting over. I came here willing to do any job and go from there.

Of all the jobs I applied for since June 4th, these are the calls I've gotten: a phone call from Wal-Mart for a part-time cashier position in Waterloo (55 miles west of Toronto), a phone call from a Toronto Metro store for a part-time cashier position, and an interview call from a local college in Toronto regarding a contract teaching position with their Math Department for the Fall semester (no other college called me about teaching jobs, even though I applied to a lot of open opportunities from coast to coast, making it clear in my cover letters that I was perfectly willing to move at my expense). I went to all three of these interviews I got hired for all three of these positions but needless to say, I had to decline the Wal-Mart offer because it was a back-up option and I really want to be in Toronto. So, right now I'm working as a cashier for Metro (8-12 hours a week a minimum wage) just to cover grocery costs until my teaching contract job starts next week. Since it's only a one-semester contract, I have no way of knowing whether it's going to be renewed beyond December so this teaching job is no big comfort (I won't know until October whether they'll keep me or treat me like a seasonal construction worker).

When you don't have a permanent job, the uncertain nature of your income keeps eating you alive from inside. You have to always worry about where your next paycheck is coming from, and whether you're going to have to go through the embarrassment of facing your landlord with the message that you don't have enough to make next month's rent. You have to spend your time exploring alternative career options, studying for certificate programs or to otherwise upgrade your skills, or applying to jobs in the hope there's some ray of light at the end of the tunnel. There is no time to taste life. None at all, and even if you do take a short amount of time to do something fun, it won't be nearly as enjoyable as you want it to be because the worries in your head don't leave you alone, not even for a minute. This is not what I imagined my life to be. I didn't dream of being rich, but I did want a stable, full-time, permanent job that paid my bills. I felt proud of my accomplishment of getting permanent residence here, a pride that has vanished in the wind after realizing that it's a status that means nothing here. My relationship with this country has been damaged beyond repair. Even if I manage to get a job that's permanent, I don't think I can learn to love this country given how I get treated here.

I guess part of what makes this hard is that I'm getting older and I expect better from life (even if that's not a fair expectation). I'm going to be 34 years old in two and a half weeks and I'm still no closer to owning a home than I was at 19. When you're 19, it's easier to accept living in a basement bachelor apartment that's someone else's property, and looking for the absolute cheapest prices in the absolute cheapest stores ("poor man stores" I like to call them, e.g. Dollarama, for those of you that are here and have seen them).

I don't know where life will take me in this country. I am exploring a few other career options that are in line with my mathematical training but these will take time to materialize, as will my hurt soul to recover (if ever).

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
^Why are you talking about Pakistan? Why do you assume he's fro
Pakistan????

Anyway Marcus I agree, I am a Canadian who came to this site to get info to sponsor my wife, however I believe Canada is not a good place for educated immigrants. The economy here is pretty weak and consists of largely exporting raw materials ie non value added products. The few good jobs which are available are tough to get and very tough for immigrants. There are huge entry barriers and almost all immigrants find themselves working jobs for which they are over qualified.

Plus its a small market economy which depends on the US ( doing bad right now).

Really educated immigrants should NOT come here unless they have a job offer in hand. If you do be prepared to waste your talents.

Canada is great if you are a refugee from Somalia or Afghanistan etc not for well educated or highly skilled people( unless you can secure a job offer).

dskairon

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/05/2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR 28/01/2011
IELTS Request
Already Sent with Doc's
File Transfer...
In process from 2nd May 2012
Med's Request
05/07/2013
Med's Done....
16/08/2013
Interview........
not recd.
Passport Req..
05/07/2013
VISA ISSUED...
not recd.
LANDED..........
Waiting ....
Dear Marcus

forget the previous posts

I have gone through all your posts in this forum. you are genuinely exhausting your emotions here. As coco pointed out

BE A BRAVE MAN, LIFE IS FULL OF RISKS WHICH ONE MUST MANAGE

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you are getting older. But if don't foresee your future in Canada, you don't have to continue staying in Canada. As long as you maintain your PR obligation while overseas, you are still PR of Canada. Stay positive. It's not that bad!!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
AAL1984 said:
^Why are you talking about Pakistan? Why do you assume he's fro
Pakistan????

Anyway Marcus I agree, I am a Canadian who came to this site to get info to sponsor my wife, however I believe Canada is not a good place for educated immigrants. The economy here is pretty weak and consists of largely exporting raw materials ie non value added products. The few good jobs which are available are tough to get and very tough for immigrants. There are huge entry barriers and almost all immigrants find themselves working jobs for which they are over qualified.

Plus its a small market economy which depends on the US ( doing bad right now).

Really educated immigrants should NOT come here unless they have a job offer in hand. If you do be prepared to waste your talents.

Canada is great if you are a refugee from Somalia or Afghanistan etc not for well educated or highly skilled people( unless you can secure a job offer).
if canada is only good for a somalian or afghan refugee as you say, how come most of its major cities are listed in the world's best cities to live in, highest standards of living ...etc?

this is really confusing, i'm quite close to making the move and really surprised on how people's opinions could vary largely between the 2 extremes, there are people in this forum who think its a great country and offers a good future for immigrants - while others regret being there and feel that moving there was the biggest mistake they ever made....really strange,both those opinions cannot be true....its either a good country or not...but cannot be both :-\?!

I'm starting to wonder how its going to be like - when i move there, but whatever challenges i may face - i'm willing to take the risk with a strong will succeed ...so lets see.

I hope i won't be whining in this post someday!! :-[

hoquejamal

Mar 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
Oct 2010
File Transfer...
In process - 08 March 2012
Med's Request
15 Nov 2012 (issued), 29 Nov 2012 (received)
Med's Done....
Med 04 Dec 2012, Other Doc 10 Dec 2012
Passport Req..
25 Feb 2013, Submitted 26 Feb 2013, Recieved by Visa office 1 March 2013
VISA ISSUED...
9 April 2013
LANDED..........
6 September 2013
Dear marcus66052,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I feel sorry for what you have gone through.
At the same time, it made me think for a while "what EXACTLY is going to happen to us after getting PR in Canada"?

May god be by our side!

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
emamabd said:
if canada is only good for a somalian or afghan refugee as you say, how come most of its major cities are listed in the world's best cities to live in, highest standards of living ...etc?

this is really confusing, i'm quite close to making the move and really surprised on how people's opinions could vary largely between the 2 extremes, there are people in this forum who think its a great country and offers a good future for immigrants - while others regret being there and feel that moving there was the biggest mistake they ever made....really strange,both those opinions cannot be true....its either a good country or not...but cannot be both :-\?!

I'm starting to wonder how its going to be like - when i move there, but whatever challenges i may face - i'm willing to take the risk with a strong will succeed ...so lets see.

I hope i won't be whining in this post someday!! :-[

Look those surveys are just surveys they dont have much practical use for your average immigrant. Yes if someone is coming with 30 million from Hong Kong , then sure Vancouver is a safe and stable place to park your cash. You can't trust those surveys, ask the majority of people in those cities, their not very good in reality. Vancouver has out of control taxes, cost of living, etc... these things aren't really considered in surveys made by snobby magazines.

In terms of refugees, look a refugee from Afghanistan will be willing to do any job. For example I know a wealthy Afghan family in Calgary, came here in the late 80's. When they first came they delivered pizzas and lived in a small government house, now the father and his sons have done very well in the real estate business and the other kids went to University in Canada becoming professionals etc..

However the father was uneducated in Afghanistan, so he was happy to be in Canada delivering pizzas and doing cleaning work. For him Canada was/is paradise, because he was not expecting much.

However an educated doctor or accountant from Turkey or Brazil will not be as willing to take such jobs and will feel depressed if forced to do so.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
AAL1984 said:

Look those surveys are just surveys they dont have much practical use for your average immigrant. Yes if someone is coming with 30 million from Hong Kong , then sure Vancouver is a safe and stable place to park your cash. You can't trust those surveys, ask the majority of people in those cities, their not very good in reality. Vancouver has out of control taxes, cost of living, etc... these things aren't really considered in surveys made by snobby magazines.

In terms of refugees, look a refugee from Afghanistan will be willing to do any job. For example I know a wealthy Afghan family in Calgary, came here in the late 80's. When they first came they delivered pizzas and lived in a small government house, now the father and his sons have done very well in the real estate business and the other kids went to University in Canada becoming professionals etc..

However the father was uneducated in Afghanistan, so he was happy to be in Canada delivering pizzas and doing cleaning work. For him Canada was/is paradise, because he was not expecting much.

However an educated doctor or accountant from Turkey or Brazil will not be as willing to take such jobs and will feel depressed if forced to do so.
I'm a Brazilian PhD Student in Canada. I kind of agree with you. Canada is a nice country, but it is far away from paradise. I love the country, but being an immigrant here is not easy. Even for a western person like me there was a cultural shock, I can only imagine people from other parts of the world that have a lot less in common culture-wise. Also, don't get sick here, going to the doctor in another language is hard, and if you happen to have something serious, it will take some serious talking to convince them. Keep you expectations low when moving here is the best solution. Be aware that they will wants things their way, and you will be in an disadvantageous position to start with. if you can live with that and withstand suffering and depression for a few years, you can turn the things around and be happy. But the start is difficult, after the few weeks were everything is like vacationing.

Aug 27, 2012
TyrusX said:
I'm a Brazilian PhD Student in Canada. I kind of agree with you. Canada is a nice country, but it is far away from paradise. I love the country, but being an immigrant here is not easy. Even for a western person like me there was a cultural shock, I can only imagine people from other parts of the world that have a lot less in common culture-wise. Also, don't get sick here, going to the doctor in another language is hard, and if you happen to have something serious, it will take some serious talking to convince them. Keep you expectations low when moving here is the best solution. Be aware that they will wants things their way, and you will be in an disadvantageous position to start with. if you can live with that and withstand suffering and depression for a few years, you can turn the things around and be happy. But the start is difficult, after the few weeks were everything is like vacationing.
Canada is better than Brazil? What do you study here? You can't explain your illness in proper English?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
english bulldog said:
Canada is better than Brazil? What do you study here? You can't explain your illness in proper English?
It is better in some aspects and much worse in others. You may not know, but Brazil actually receives many immigrants. I had a serious condition. I work in the medical field, It was not a simple flu my friend. It is hard to make them believe that you may have something more than flatulence sometimes.

chandi2564

Star Member
Oct 14, 2008
colombo
Category........
Visa Office......
colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21/01/2010
Doc's Request.
09/07/2010
Nomination.....
no
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
IELTS Request
sent with full docs in 09/07/2010
Med's Request
12/01/2012
Med's Done....
29/01/2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26/04/2012
VISA ISSUED...
30/04/2012
LANDED..........
hoquejamal said:
Dear marcus66052,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I feel sorry for what you have gone through.
At the same time, it made me think for a while "what EXACTLY is going to happen to us after getting PR in Canada"?

May god be by our side!

yeah me too..................

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
@Marcus, one can really read the sadness in your words. Don't give up buddy. The good news is you have this contract teaching job which is your preferred occupation. It could just be what opens many doors for you. So keep your head up and do the best job you can. Take sometime to build networks and contacts. With some Canadian experience on your resume, you will definitely have more interviews.

Aug 27, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
@ Marcus, one can really read the sadness in your words. Don't give up buddy. The good news is you have this contract teaching job which is your preferred occupation. It could just be what opens many doors for you. So keep your head up and do the best job you can. Take sometime to build networks and contacts. With some Canadian experience on your resume, you will definitely have more interviews.
Adjunct teaching is a really crappy job, no better than his cashier's job. It pays something like $2k per class.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
May be so, but the point here is to look at the glass "half-full" not "half-empty". At least it's in his field and with a good reference or recommendation from the school, he could land a better job.

english bulldog said:
Adjunct teaching is a really crappy job, no better than his cashier's job. It pays something like $2k per class.

Aug 27, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
May be so, but the point here is to look at the glass "half-full" not "half-empty". At least it's in his field and with a good reference or recommendation from the school, he could land a better job.
It seems OP doesn't even have a PhD, so it's almost impossible in Canada to get even a continuing lecturer position without a PhD considering the number of unemployed Canadian PhDs. I don't know where he's from and where he got his MA. But it seems he worked as a cashier before in the US. So he'll have to look for the same kind of jobs here. I think he is even lucky if he gets a $2k per class adjunct teaching gig here. He doesn't have a clue how the Canadian academia works. I'll say he's delusional if he thinks he can get a decent teaching job at a Canadian university with only an MA. An MA is a worthless degree not only in Canada but also in the US. An MA in math? Are you kidding me? Do you know even a large percentage of Canadian MBAs and JDs are unemployed?

Status
Not open for further replies.