Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
Getting a good job in Canada is very hard. I was BORN here and I still found it incredibly hard. In fact, my first full time job was when i moved to Japan to teach english. The Canadian job market is ROUGH. Personal connections are very important. Nepotism is rife. Forget about applying for any trade union job unless you know people who are in the union.

But there are opportunities. The trades are a great field to go into. Plumbing, electrician, power engineeing, all of these trades pay well and theres job openings, especially in the north and in Alberta. I moved from Vancouver to Edmonton and found it much easier to get work in Edmonton. Then after I had 2 years experience, i moved back to Vancouver and had no trouble at all because I had experience.

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steerpike said:
Getting a good job in Canada is very hard. I was BORN here and I still found it incredibly hard. In fact, my first full time job was when i moved to Japan to teach english. The Canadian job market is ROUGH. Personal connections are very important. Nepotism is rife. Forget about applying for any trade union job unless you know people who are in the union.

But there are opportunities. The trades are a great field to go into. Plumbing, electrician, power engineeing, all of these trades pay well and theres job openings, especially in the north and in Alberta. I moved from Vancouver to Edmonton and found it much easier to get work in Edmonton. Then after I had 2 years experience, i moved back to Vancouver and had no trouble at all because I had experience.

Thanks for sharing steerpike.

hitting first job in toronto for a new immigrant in the same field is quite challenging n excessive importance is given to networking, which is not healthy. this networking is back lash on new immigrants, introverts and also on people who prefer limited network or people cannt afford extended network bec of time or people who r lacking networking skills.additionally i noticed that union is playing major role in certain fields n this union is controlling several things within the system.honestly these r not good for canada's growth.beacuse of these there is high possibility that ordinary stones will b picked n diamonds will b neglected.there is no harm in picking pebbles but precious stones sdnt b missed.

jnathan

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Sheng Chiu
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21st Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
10th March 2010
AOR Received.
10th June 2010
IELTS Request
provided
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS: 12th October, 2010
Med's Request
Withdrawal Request sent....Was waiting for files to return....instead of returning the files, VO sent the MR !!
Med's Done....
28 May 2012
Passport Req..
24 July 2012
1st they are picking up Canadians
2nd they are picking the Canadian experience class , even a High school drop out ignoring a PhD migrant from outside
3rd Dreams are being shattered with no job at all.
How would one get Canadian experience ?? how weird !! many employers are even hiring new landing immigrants, making them work for a few weeks and then they say " look I am not satisfied with your performance". Fired with no money at all.

Reactions: einsteino

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
2nd they are picking the Canadian experience class , even a High school drop out ignoring a PhD migrant from outside
How would one get Canadian experience ?? how weird !! many employers are even hiring new landing immigrants, making them work for a few weeks and then they say " look I am not satisfied with your performance". Fired with no money at all.
U hv made good analysis,this is happening fact.

Imagine,phD holder ( if ever successful)working in par with high school drop.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jnathan said:
which comes first the chicken or the egg?
This problem is facing Canadians with advaned degrees as well. Mostly they move out of Canada. Then we read articles about the migration brains....
art2012 said:
U hv made good analysis,this is happening fact.

Imagine,phD holder ( if ever successful)working in par with high school drop.
I know an advanced degree holder who worked for training (free) then at the end they were not satisfied with his performance!!!

Reactions: einsteino

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Being asked to do training for free is a red flag...I would steer clear of that. That's why it's important to ask for an official letter of your job offer to be sure you know what you are getting into before you sign it.

There is a hidden job market for sure i.e. job openings that are not advertised. Even if you already work for the company, you still have to know the right people to get such offers.

My suggestion for new immigrants or PhD holders is to find something that pays the bills while looking for the dream job and volunteer in areas of interest as the chances of meeting people in your field/profession are higher. Join Linkedin and network.

jnathan said:

PQR

Champion Member
Jun 25, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2013
News Release — Canada welcomes largest number of parents and grandparents in almost twenty years

Up to 35,000 parents and grandparents to be reunited with families

Mississauga, November 5, 2012
— After the first year of the Action Plan for Faster Family Reunification, major progress has been made in reuniting families more quickly and reducing the backlog of Parent and Grandparent (PGP) program applications, Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney announced today.

The 2013 Levels Plan, which was tabled last week, includes the admission of 25,000 parents and grandparents for the second year in a row, for a total of 50,000 between this year and next. This is a 60 percent annual increase from 2010 and the highest level in nearly two decades.

The Action Plan also took immediate steps to address a backlog of PGP applications that had ballooned to approximately 165,000 applicants, with wait times stretching to an unacceptable eight years. By the end of this year, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) expects to have reduced the backlog by about 20 percent. Of the applications cleared from the backlog, the majority met the requirements of the program and have been approved.

Furthermore, there has been strong uptake of the new Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, which allows parents and grandparents to visit Canada for up to two years at a time. The Super Visa is very popular, with over 10,000 Super Visas being issued since its launch in December 2011, and the acceptance rate is high at 87 percent.

“We listened to Canadians who told us the old program with eight-year wait times just didn't work,” said Minister Kenney. “The Harper Government's actions to fix the old broken program are working. Given the popularity of the Super Visa and planned permanent admissions of 25,000 in 2013, we expect to reunite up to 35,000 parents and grandparents with their families next year. This is a significant achievement and the highest number in nearly two decades.”

On March 23, 2012, CIC launched national public consultations on the redesign of the PGP program. Minister Kenney hosted roundtables with stakeholders and public online consultations were launched. The online consultations ran until May 25, 2012, and received a total of 6,444 responses, the highest number of responses ever received by CIC through an online consultation. A detailed summary of the results of the online consultations will be available shortly on CIC's website.

For the PGP program to be sustainable, it must be redesigned to avoid future backlogs. The redesigned program must also be sensitive to fiscal constraints, bearing in mind Canada's generous public health-care system and other social benefits.

“As we work to dramatically reduce the backlog and wait times, work on the redesign of the PGP program is progressing well,” added Minister Kenney. “As promised, within the next year we expect to launch a modernized PGP program, one that ensures that future applicants are processed quickly and that the program operates on a sustainable basis.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PQR said:
News Release — Canada welcomes largest number of parents and grandparents in almost twenty years

Up to 35,000 parents and grandparents to be reunited with families

Mississauga, November 5, 2012
— After the first year of the Action Plan for Faster Family Reunification, major progress has been made in reuniting families more quickly and reducing the backlog of Parent and Grandparent (PGP) program applications, Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney announced today.

The 2013 Levels Plan, which was tabled last week, includes the admission of 25,000 parents and grandparents for the second year in a row, for a total of 50,000 between this year and next. This is a 60 percent annual increase from 2010 and the highest level in nearly two decades.

The Action Plan also took immediate steps to address a backlog of PGP applications that had ballooned to approximately 165,000 applicants, with wait times stretching to an unacceptable eight years. By the end of this year, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) expects to have reduced the backlog by about 20 percent. Of the applications cleared from the backlog, the majority met the requirements of the program and have been approved.

Furthermore, there has been strong uptake of the new Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, which allows parents and grandparents to visit Canada for up to two years at a time. The Super Visa is very popular, with over 10,000 Super Visas being issued since its launch in December 2011, and the acceptance rate is high at 87 percent.

“We listened to Canadians who told us the old program with eight-year wait times just didn't work,” said Minister Kenney. “The Harper Government's actions to fix the old broken program are working. Given the popularity of the Super Visa and planned permanent admissions of 25,000 in 2013, we expect to reunite up to 35,000 parents and grandparents with their families next year. This is a significant achievement and the highest number in nearly two decades.”

On March 23, 2012, CIC launched national public consultations on the redesign of the PGP program. Minister Kenney hosted roundtables with stakeholders and public online consultations were launched. The online consultations ran until May 25, 2012, and received a total of 6,444 responses, the highest number of responses ever received by CIC through an online consultation. A detailed summary of the results of the online consultations will be available shortly on CIC's website.

For the PGP program to be sustainable, it must be redesigned to avoid future backlogs. The redesigned program must also be sensitive to fiscal constraints, bearing in mind Canada's generous public health-care system and other social benefits.

“As we work to dramatically reduce the backlog and wait times, work on the redesign of the PGP program is progressing well,” added Minister Kenney. “As promised, within the next year we expect to launch a modernized PGP program, one that ensures that future applicants are processed quickly and that the program operates on a sustainable basis.
Wow! they Fixed the system...it is good they realized it was broken...but what does that do? Did they fix the core immigration system?

vicky_si

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Filed 28 May '13 ..PER 17 aug' 13
IELTS Request
Sent
File Transfer...
21 Oct.2013
Med's Request
27 Nov. 2013
Med's Done....
7 dec 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28 Nov. 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
Planned 7 July 2014
Hi ,

The posts here scare me and at times assure me that there is light at the end of the tunnel but in either case make me rethink about my decision to relocate to Canada.

I have been researching a lot on FSWC program and plan to apply for PR when the program starts again accepting applications in early 2013 under FSWC from New Delhi, India. However there is one major hurdle for me wherein I seek support of you all experienced veterans and members.

I'm an Electronics and Communication Engineer by studies and my current filed of work is technical consultancy, mainly focussed at Audio Visual designing for corporates, High end Hotels etc.

I'm currently working as Technical Director at a technology consultancy firm and my profile includes
-driving the complete business,
-Design AV/IT systems for our clients,
-be up to date with latest technologies in the field and
-motivate team members to keep up and design accordingly,
-Handle day to day interaction with clients,
-ensure project deliveries in terms of designs,
-develop tender documentation on behalf of our clients and help them selecting appropriate vendors etc.

Essentially work as a consultant (selling our brains and not supplying or installing or repairing anything).

My Dilemna starts here.. When I start looking at the Jobs categories, the only fields I find Audio Visuals mentioned is technicians, Repair personnel, Broadcasting professional, TV repairs etc, which are all mainly labour jobs, and nowhere is there an option of a designer in this category.

Can any of the esteemed members here throw some light on this market and Job options available... It would be good if someone can highlight the regions where such openings may be available and how wise can this decision of relocation be if someone is from this industry....

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vicky_si said:
Hi ,

The posts here scare me and at times assure me that there is light at the end of the tunnel but in either case make me rethink about my decision to relocate to Canada.

I have been researching a lot on FSWC program and plan to apply for PR when the program starts again accepting applications in early 2013 under FSWC from New Delhi, India. However there is one major hurdle for me wherein I seek support of you all experienced veterans and members.

I'm an Electronics and Communication Engineer by studies and my current filed of work is technical consultancy, mainly focussed at Audio Visual designing for corporates, High end Hotels etc.

I'm currently working as Technical Director at a technology consultancy firm and my profile includes
-driving the complete business,
-Design AV/IT systems for our clients,
-be up to date with latest technologies in the field and
-motivate team members to keep up and design accordingly,
-Handle day to day interaction with clients,
-ensure project deliveries in terms of designs,
-develop tender documentation on behalf of our clients and help them selecting appropriate vendors etc.

Essentially work as a consultant (selling our brains and not supplying or installing or repairing anything).

My Dilemna starts here.. When I start looking at the Jobs categories, the only fields I find Audio Visuals mentioned is technicians, Repair personnel, Broadcasting professional, TV repairs etc, which are all mainly labour jobs, and nowhere is there an option of a designer in this category.

Can any of the esteemed members here throw some light on this market and Job options available... It would be good if someone can highlight the regions where such openings may be available and how wise can this decision of relocation be if someone is from this industry....
Canada is NOT for advanced degree holders, sorry but that is based on what I have seen (several cases). Canada doesn't have advanced R&D or advances to support those skills.
People who even tried to (downgrade) find jobs in technical found difficulties...some will even take a 6month diploma and look for jobs

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
marcus66052 said:
I'm going to be 34 years old in two and a half weeks and I'm still no closer to owning a home than I was at 19. When you're 19, it's easier to accept living in a basement bachelor apartment that's someone else's property.....
I'm 40 years old in 2 months' time. We moved to Canada last year. Owing to the UK house market crippling us we came over here with no equity left so we are having to start over.

We are living in a basement suite, and I am no closer to owning a home than I was at 19. So you've already got 6 years' head start on me :)

And you know what, it doesn't really bother me a bit :) We are going to be saving hard over the next couple of years to be able to get a 20 to 25% deposit on a house, but even then we may not buy it depends on the house market situation. Owning a house is certainly not something I am in a rush to do.

Wayne.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cappuccino said:
Owning a house is certainly not something I am in a rush to do.

Wayne.
But there are lots of people who are in rush owning a house. I've seen on the first day of home sales of new housing developments, some homes were gone and sold already. Probably love at first sight :D

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Well my story is quite different and might not apply to a lot of people, but I think the "do not come to Canada" threads are unnecessary and based on people that had bad experiences.

You read all the time that Canada does not value international education and credentials (including US degrees) but for me it was quite the opposite, I got a job on my first resume I sent, prior even having my passport back and within a week. For me (emphasis added) Canada seems to be an amazing land of opportunity.

So what was my recipe for success (if you want to call it that)? Dedication, research and preparing yourself for the challenge.

I started looking at employers in my job field almost a year before getting my Visa. I was very organized and created a list of the ones that where of interest. After my research, I targeted my resume to the exact employer I wanted to work for and given my hard work and dedication I got a call the very next day I sent my resume for an interview. I spent many days preparing for my interview and doing mock-ops with colleagues and friends. I had a "study guide" with possible Q&A's I might get. Obviously, I did not get any of the questions I prepared for, however I went very confident into the interview because of all the preparation I had done.

It is an arduous task to find a job in a new country and overall I just think that people should be prepared, work hard, and not give up. You can send a million resume's and become a resume spammer or really target your resume and effort for what you really want. Do your work, study your industry and then strategically decide where you should apply. But most importantly, start early!

Good luck to everyone and never loose hope!

Rod

vicky_si

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Filed 28 May '13 ..PER 17 aug' 13
IELTS Request
Sent
File Transfer...
21 Oct.2013
Med's Request
27 Nov. 2013
Med's Done....
7 dec 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28 Nov. 2013
VISA ISSUED...
7 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
Planned 7 July 2014
Dr Eng X said:
Canada is NOT for advanced degree holders, sorry but that is based on what I have seen (several cases). Canada doesn't have advanced R&D or advances to support those skills.
People who even tried to (downgrade) find jobs in technical found difficulties...some will even take a 6month diploma and look for jobs
Thx Dr. Eng for your view..... Still researcching...

Another question ... What is the reaaction of companies in canada if i send out my resume to them mentioning in the cover letter that the PR is in process (assuming that the PR process to complete is about 6 months away).. How do they respond... Will they outrightly reject the application or give an intimation that please apply after you have PR and we may consider... Or there are chances that they call in for an interview on seeing the credentials...

I know i may sound too optimistic at times, but pardon me, as i want to explore every aspect of this concern....

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
vicky_si said:
Thx Dr. Eng for your view..... Still researcching...

Another question ... What is the reaaction of companies in canada if i send out my resume to them mentioning in the cover letter that the PR is in process (assuming that the PR process to complete is about 6 months away).. How do they respond... Will they outrightly reject the application or give an intimation that please apply after you have PR and we may consider... Or there are chances that they call in for an interview on seeing the credentials...

I know i may sound too optimistic at times, but pardon me, as i want to explore every aspect of this concern....
My fiancé sent out a couple before we landed, but heard nothing. He sent new letters once we arrived (some to the same companies as before) and received responses.
I would suggest spending the time looking into companies that you are interested in an tailoring your CV to them so that once you arrive you can mail them straight away

Status
Not open for further replies.