+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I tell the truth about my income and how

swervetech69

Star Member
Nov 10, 2011
Maybe i shouldnt have gotten so offended. Heres the story. I am still a permanent residnet, the governmend did cancel my healthcare, and im fine with that. I do pay taxes in Taiwan have health care ect . My Taiwan employers lie to the Taiwan government about my salary so i was wondering wheather to say this on my sponsor application because i have no way to show this extra income, no one is trying to ripp off the Canadaian government here. I have checked from many sources, and I do have to file for taxes for the time i was out of Canada when i return. No I wont be double taxed since I can prove i paid taxes here. Who would go abroad to work if it meant youd have to pay taxes? My salary is so low here, even if i somehow couldreport all of it, I wont be taxed again in Canada. This was verriafied by the Canadian consulate here, my moms tax lawyer and about a dozen friends that went back to Canada before me.

cleo

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2011
AOR Received.
23-03-2011
File Transfer...
08-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
09-11-2011
I worked in China for 4 years and had to pay my own health insurance. I have the facts straight. I didn't know you were making a low salary because most Canadians working in Taiwan teach English and most make a pretty high salary. If you make a low salary of course you don't have to pay taxes. There are more benefits to being Canadian than just health care. It also means you can sponsor your spouse to live with you in the best country in the world. And I'm not saying you are taking advantage of our system, but many do, and you can't deny that. The taxes I pay , go to many services including those for new immigrants. I'm sorry you took offense to my comments.

swervetech69

Star Member
Nov 10, 2011
No harm done. Id disagree that any English teachers make a high salary though. On paper i made about 15 k a year, in reality maybe 20 at most in a good year, i defnitly wouldnt call that a high salary. And dont forget people that lived abroad for a while likley did pay taxes in Canada for years before they moved away. I have known dozens of teachers in Asia and have never heard of one that had to legally pay taxes in both countries. Canada has tax treaties with countries. I have a wife here, residency card, no property or income in Canada, no health care, and have been gone for 6 years. I didnt declare non residency but with all the evidence i have it basically makes me a non resident for tax purposes. Just didnt like being called irresponsible or a liar. For the sake of clairity of others ill post what happens when i do file when i go back in one month.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
swervetech69 said:
My Taiwan employers lie to the Taiwan government about my salary so i was wondering wheather to say this on my sponsor application because i have no way to show this extra income,

No, it only confuses things, for no gain for anyone. (1) You aren't defrauding Canada of taxes by declaring the lower salary, because you are not considered a Canadian taxpayer while in Taiwan. (2) If you don't have children, I believe that $15 K of income is enough to satisfy CIC that you won't be coming to Canada and immediately go on welfare (but verify this; if not, then go to whatever lengths you need to to prove $20K of salary; perhaps your school would give you a letter, and if it won't, just explain the salary difference in your cover letter to the application). In any event. you earned income as a teacher of English, which is not available to you in Canada unless you certify as a teacher. You'll probably have to outline plans for another source of income.

But who says you must file Canadian tax returns for the years you were abroad in Taiwan? Logically, if you are a non-taxpayer, you don't have to file tax returns. I was a non-taxpayer as of 2003, and when CRA asked me for my 2004 tax return, I explained I had left Canada in 2003 (severing financial ties). CRA then acknowledged that I was a non-taxpayer, and did not ask for any more tax returns. So, when I return to Canada, I will not be expected to file tax returns for 2004 et seq.

no one is trying to ripp off the Canadaian government here. I have checked from many sources, and I do have to file for taxes for the time i was out of Canada when i return. No I wont be double taxed since I can prove i paid taxes here. Who would go abroad to work if it meant youd have to pay taxes? My salary is so low here, even if i somehow couldreport all of it, I wont be taxed again in Canada. This was verriafied by the Canadian consulate here, my moms tax lawyer and about a dozen friends that went back to Canada before me.