+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I qualify for OHIP through Family Sponsorship?

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Hi. I need advice on OHIP or any other advice if we do not qualify for OHIP.

I am a Canadian citizen sponsoring my wife in-Canada. The application was sent out in late October, 2014. The waiting period for in-Canada sponsorship is about 15-18 months... so my wife will not be Approved In Principle anytime soon. Recently the government introduced new laws allowing her to apply for open work permit, which we did about a week ago. The reason we need OHIP is because we are pregnant and my wife needs OHIP before its time to deliver, otherwise we have to pay everything out of our pockets.

I can only imagine how expensive healthcare in Canada is (I have a valid OHIP and being fairly healthy myself I do not spend much on healthcare out of my own pocket), but I've been told horrible stories about it if we have to pay for it ourselves. Looking at the OHIP qualification at health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx in the Am I eligible for Ontario Health Insurance? section, nothing really fits our situation, closest being our spouse sponsorship application you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada;. I don't think we qualify here because we have not been approved in principle and do not have a confirmation from CIC. However, there is a curious point in the What immigration documents must I present to confirm my immigration status as an Applicant for Permanent Residence (previously called an Applicant for Landing) when applying for Ontario health insurance coverage? section, which states one of the following points to qualify: CIC Immigration document such as a Work Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit or Study Permit with note in the “Remarks Section” that indicates that you have applied for permanent residence;

Since we applied for the Open Work permit, but have not received Approval in Principle; does this mean we can apply for OHIP?
Is there another way we can apply for OHIP or speed up AIP process to get one so that we do not go bankrupt delivering a baby?

Thanks for any advise.
Yuriy

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

See this post http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html;msg2518001#msg2518001.

You can also look into getting a midwife. I believe from what others have posted on here that they provide free care regardless of OHIP coverage and immigration status.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

See this post http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/important-ohip-eligibility-info-for-all-pr-applicants-residing-in-ontario-t56695.0.html;msg2518001#msg2518001.

You can also look into getting a midwife. I believe from what others have posted on here that they provide free care regardless of OHIP coverage and immigration status.
Note that link is for someone who has applied outland.

For inland, I believe you must have either AIP or the OWP in hand, before you can qualify for OHIP. And even then, i'm not sure if you still need to go through a 3 months waiting period.

And I will second the recommendation to get a midwife. Their services throughout pregnancy are free to everyone even if you don't have OHIP coverage. And if you do a home birth and not require hospital, there would be no cost for delivery either. Would just need to pay for things like blood tests and ultrasounds during pregnancy. And midwives are also able to deliver at hospitals, but the total costs you would pay would be much cheaper.

Midwives also offer better and more personal support during and after the pregnancy, vs an OB. So for that reason many people even with OHIP (like my wife and I) used a midwife. As such they are in VERY high demand in many cities in Ontario, so it's best to see if you can secure one the second you find out you're pregnant, else you could find yourself on a waiting list. So start calling around to the midwife offices closest to you asap, and see if any are taking patients based on your expected delivery date.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Rob_TO said:

For inland, I believe you must have either AIP or the OWP in hand, before you can qualify for OHIP. And even then, i'm not sure if you still need to go through a 3 months waiting period.
I thought OHIP was much the same for inland and outland? Living in BC, I'm not that familiar with OHIP.

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Rob_TO said:

And I will second the recommendation to get a midwife. Their services throughout pregnancy are free to everyone even if you don't have OHIP coverage. And if you do a home birth and not require hospital, there would be no cost for delivery either. Would just need to pay for things like blood tests and ultrasounds during pregnancy. And midwives are also able to deliver at hospitals, but the total costs you would pay would be much cheaper.

Midwives also offer better and more personal support during and after the pregnancy, vs an OB. So for that reason many people even with OHIP (like my wife and I) used a midwife. As such they are in VERY high demand in many cities in Ontario, so it's best to see if you can secure one the second you find out you're pregnant, else you could find yourself on a waiting list. So start calling around to the midwife offices closest to you asap, and see if any are taking patients based on your expected delivery date.
OWP - we already applied for that and the waiting time should be around 4 months. That's what I was wondering, having OWP but no AIP, can we apply for OHIP?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canuck_in_uk said:
I thought OHIP was much the same for inland and outland? Living in BC, I'm not that familiar with OHIP.
No, both ways have different requirements you need to show to register for OHIP.

jtg0d said:
OWP - we already applied for that and the waiting time should be around 4 months. That's what I was wondering, having OWP but no AIP, can we apply for OHIP?
Yes once you have your OWP in hand you can register for OHIP.

As I said though, what I'm not sure of is if you need to wait an additional 3 months waiting period after getting your OWP, or if OHIP counts your time already in Canada as waiting period. Others that have gotten OHIP with OWP on this new pilot program will need to advise.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Rob_TO said:
No, both ways have different requirements you need to show to register for OHIP.

Yes once you have your OWP in hand you can register for OHIP.

As I said though, what I'm not sure of is if you need to wait an additional 3 months waiting period after getting your OWP, or if OHIP counts your time already in Canada as waiting period. Others that have gotten OHIP with OWP on this new pilot program will need to advise.
I suspect that those who gotten OWP under the pilot, they may have to wait 3 months after getting OWP to get coverage since they have not gotten AIP stage to confirm official start date for 3 month wait. OHIP will use either OWP or AIP date whichever is the earliest date for start qualification 3 month wait.

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
screech339 said:
I suspect that those who gotten OWP under the pilot, they may have to wait 3 months after getting OWP to get coverage since they have not gotten AIP stage to confirm official start date for 3 month wait. OHIP will use either OWP or AIP date whichever is the earliest date for start qualification 3 month wait.
Thank you all for your advise.
This is great news indeed! We should be getting OWP in about 4 months, and even with 3 months wait period we should be ok... unless the baby decides to join the world sooner. Is this info certain though? Did anyone actually get OHIP with OWP without AIP? We could get by paying for tests and such, its the hospital stay and delivery that scare me.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
jtg0d said:
Thank you all for your advise.
This is great news indeed! We should be getting OWP in about 4 months, and even with 3 months wait period we should be ok... unless the baby decides to join the world sooner. Is this info certain though? Did anyone actually get OHIP with OWP without AIP? We could get by paying for tests and such, its the hospital stay and delivery that scare me.
the pilot program OWP has a specific code on it so that applicants can apply for OHIP before getting a job. AGain, there may be a 3 month wait period until it's activated.

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
Ontario seems to be one of the few provinces that requires a three month wait for immigrants.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
bigredmoose said:
Ontario seems to be one of the few provinces that requires a three month wait for immigrants.
it's not just immigrants, it's anyone who moves to ontario from another country or province (even canadian citizens). i'd imagine it is to limit abuse of the system and having people move to ontario, just to get healthcare, then leaving as soon as they receive it. Ontario is not the only province that does this. I believe quebec, nova scotia and others also have a wait period. I'm pretty sure the wait time is standard in the majority of provinces, and a province with no wait time is actually the minority?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bigredmoose said:
Ontario doesn't have any issues with immigrants if that is what you are implying. The 3 month wait applies to everyone. PR and Canadian who moved to Ontario from another province or country. Those who move from another country are at a disadvantage as they don't have any coverage for 3 month period. Whereas those from another province will still get coverage for 3 months while waiting. Provinces do cover medical care in other provinces for 3 months outside their province. So if a relative came to visit Ontario from Alberta or nova Scotia, the relative will get medical coverage while in Ontario.

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
screech339 said:
Ontario doesn't have any issues with immigrants if that is what you are implying. The 3 month wait applies to everyone. PR and Canadian who moved to Ontario from another province or country. Those who move from another country are at a disadvantage as they don't have any coverage for 3 month period. Whereas those from another province will still get coverage for 3 months while waiting. Provinces do cover medical care in other provinces for 3 months outside their province. So if a relative came to visit Ontario from Alberta or nova Scotia, the relative will get medical coverage while in Ontario.
no, no - I'm not implying anything. I just know that most other provinces, a PR can get health coverage from the time they land. Not so in Ontario.

Moving from between provinces however, most provinces seem to have a 3 month waiting period, but you maintain the coverage you had from the province you just left.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jtg0d said:
The info on applying for OHIP when you get OWP is certain.

However the info on getting your OWP is most certainly not certain. Stress the words "should". Despite what CIC says on their website, the actual time it takes you to get OWP can be quicker or slower as their processing times can change at anytime.

Also since you didn't submit OWP with your initial PR app, your wife does not have implied status. Does she have valid visitor or some other status here right now? This "may" affect your OWP application.

I would still strongly advise you to get a midwife if you can.

jtg0d

Mar 16, 2015
Rob_TO said:
The info on applying for OHIP when you get OWP is certain.

However the info on getting your OWP is most certainly not certain. Stress the words "should". Despite what CIC says on their website, the actual time it takes you to get OWP can be quicker or slower as their processing times can change at anytime.

Also since you didn't submit OWP with your initial PR app, your wife does not have implied status. Does she have valid visitor or some other status here right now? This "may" affect your OWP application.

I would still strongly advise you to get a midwife if you can.
Hmm, I've spoken with the CIC rep before we submitted our sponsorship application several months ago. I believe that person explained to us that implied status takes effect when we submit the sponsorship application and before the final decision is made. That's why we did not renew my wife's visitor status, which expired in Nov 2014. Oh man, were we mislead/misunderstood? How is this going to effect our OWP and/or sponsorship application?