+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to use the physical presence calculator?

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
I am trying to figure out online application for Canadian Citizenship. I am Canadian permanent resident and meet all the residence obligations (including my 1095 days of physical presence in Canada as a PR). However due to unavoidable reasons, I have to leave Canada somewhere in the middle of August 2023.

Now, while trying to figure out the online application, under the “Physical Presence Calculator”, it asks for the days one left Canada in the last 5 years from the date of submitting the application. See pic below :

Now the issue is that it also asks for RETURN date (to Canada) which is mandatory. Since I am currently in India and not sure of my return date for Canada, I am not sure what should I put in this section. Also it won’t even allow to leave it blank (see the second picture below). Also there is not option to provide any sort of explanation in regards to this (no additional box, space etc).

Is there a work around this issue? As to how can one complete the application in such scenario?

Thanks.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am trying to figure out online application for Canadian Citizenship. I am Canadian permanent resident and meet all the residence obligations (including my 1095 days of physical presence in Canada as a PR). However due to unavoidable reasons, I have to leave Canada somewhere in the middle of August 2023.

Now, while trying to figure out the online application, under the “Physical Presence Calculator”, it asks for the days one left Canada in the last 5 years from the date of submitting the application. See pic below :

Now the issue is that it also asks for RETURN date (to Canada) which is mandatory. Since I am currently in India and not sure of my return date for Canada, I am not sure what should I put in this section. Also it won’t even allow to leave it blank (see the second picture below). Also there is not option to provide any sort of explanation in regards to this (no additional box, space etc).

Is there a work around this issue? As to how can one complete the application in such scenario?

Thanks.
Oh you are back seriously https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-canadian-citizenship-online-from-india.821615/
btw did you complete the cybersecurity assessment before applying for citizenship https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-application-from-india.792023/

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Do I need the physical presence calculator :

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do. ?

Or I just enter the days only on my online account for citizenship? Do I need to link my online account to the external website of Physical Presence Calculator?

Thank you for your kind assitance.
like @forw.jane mentioned you can complete this section within your online application.
Providing details about the Physical presence in Canada is only required for adults. For minors applying with adults this is not required.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@serious_indian if you really really really want a workaround, just put the day you will send the application there, and add an explanation letter saying that you're sending your application from India, just put that return date there to be able to finalize your application, and that the last day should be removed from your physical presence calculation.
There are people in this forum who said they got their citizenship after they applied outside Canada, but no idea how it would go in your case. Do it at your own risk...

serious_indian

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
The thing is that I want to be 100% true and accurate with my application to avoid getting into any legal consequences or risk of loosing Citizenship down the line. The second best alternative is to fill and mail the paper based application to Sydney. The paper application includes a 4 page Physical Presence form (cit0407e-2) that’s need to be signed. In the form there are columns to list absence from Canada in last 5 years from the date of application.

See pic -

Now here I noticed that in the “Date Returned to Canada” I can add any text (for instance, can mention "still in India"), and in the Reason for Absence I can write the reason and also mention that I am still outside Canada and have not returned yet. In the second line I can also mention that I am enclosing a special letter in which I will state that I have Calculated my absence from the day I left Canada to the date I sign this application (as I am still out of country).

I think that should make it full proof with honest representation.

Naru

Oct 4, 2023
The thing is that I want to be 100% true and accurate with my application to avoid getting into any legal consequences or risk of loosing Citizenship down the line. The second best alternative is to fill and mail the paper based application to Sydney. The paper application includes a 4 page Physical Presence form (cit0407e-2) that’s need to be signed. In the form there are columns to list absence from Canada in last 5 years from the date of application.

See pic -

Now here I noticed that in the “Date Returned to Canada” I can add any text (for instance, can mention "still in India"), and in the Reason for Absence I can write the reason and also mention that I am still outside Canada and have not returned yet. In the second line I can also mention that I am enclosing a special letter in which I will state that I have Calculated my absence from the day I left Canada to the date I sign this application (as I am still out of country).

I think that should make it full proof with honest representation.
I am in a similar situation. Do you know if that is confirmed for them to still consider the application if you put "Still in India"?