+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to provide job responsibilities letters from all my employers

Tejashree.t27

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
Hi,

I have recentlysubmitted my documents for permanent residency.And I have 1+ yearCanadian experience and 5+ years back in my home country.
While submitting my application I have provided the responsibilities letter from my Canadian employer and my other existing documents from my old employers such as service letter however these service letter do not include my responsibilities.
And after reading some threads I am now confused if I need to produce the responsibilities letter from my old employers as well.
And if yes then do I need to provide the same letter for each of the employer or since the maximum experience on the portal is 3 or more years the. Just the previous employer letter would suffice (as I worked for them more than 3 years)

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
For CEC, only eligible experience within the past 3 years before you submit a PR application would count. You need employment reference letter for every work experience if you are claiming points from that experience.

Tejashree.t27

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
Thank you so much.. if I understand correctly my old employer for whom I worked for 3 years should suffice right
For CEC, only eligible experience within the past 3 years before you submit a PR application would count. You need employment reference letter for every work experience if you are claiming points from that experience.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Thank you so much.. if I understand correctly my old employer for whom I worked for 3 years should suffice right
If you were invited and applied as a CEC candidate, your foreign experience won’t be counted, because eligible experience under CEC needs to be Canadian. If that’s the case, the documents submitted in support of the foreign experience shouldn’t matter. Only your Canadian experience will be evaluated against eligibility.

If you were invited and applied as a FSW candidate, and are claiming points from the foreign experience that you had, then you do need to have reference letter to back up the foreign experience, and it needs to include your job duties/responsibilities… same requirements for a regular reference letter

Tejashree.t27

Star Member
Feb 13, 2020
I got ITA under CEC however I provided my foreign experience for which I received few points too. I remember when selecting foreign experience there were three option and the last one was if the experience is 3 or more than 3 years so I chose that. Based on which I am assuming that they only take up to 3 years of past foreign experience into account while calculating point is my understanding correct?

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I got ITA under CEC however I provided my foreign experience for which I received few points too. I remember when selecting foreign experience there were three option and the last one was if the experience is 3 or more than 3 years so I chose that. Based on which I am assuming that they only take up to 3 years of past foreign experience into account while calculating point is my understanding correct?
I’m not aware of the fact that foreign experience can be used to meet CEC requirements, so I don’t know if the 3-year limit applies to foreign experience. But for Canadian experience under CEC, then, YES, only the past 3 years before you submit a PR application are valid.

novemberrain

Sep 6, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
9-11-2022
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
If you were invited and applied as a CEC candidate, your foreign experience won’t be counted, because eligible experience under CEC needs to be Canadian. If that’s the case, the documents submitted in support of the foreign experience shouldn’t matter. Only your Canadian experience will be evaluated against eligibility.

If you were invited and applied as a FSW candidate, and are claiming points from the foreign experience that you had, then you do need to have reference letter to back up the foreign experience, and it needs to include your job duties/responsibilities… same requirements for a regular reference letter
This is partially incorrect. I was a CEC with 1 year or Canadian experience and 1 year of foreign experience. It's totally okay to claim your foreign experience when you are applying under CEC

Reactions: Shmiler

novemberrain

Sep 6, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
9-11-2022
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
Yes, you are correct! Maximum point for foreign experience is only with 3 years. If you have more than 3 years of experience, the point would be the same as having 3 years

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada

Edit: I was wrong at the beginning. Foreign experience CAN be counted towards eligible work experience.

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
Just to clarify for people looking at this thread. If you are under CEC stream then foreign work experience can give you extra points. The foreign work experience does not need to be consecutive and can be in different NOCs, as long as it totals over 1 year. For instance, you work 8 months in 2021, and 5 months in 2019 in different jobs. You can claim one year foreign work experience. Points max out at 3 years and the jobs need to be teer 1-3.

Note that this is NOT the case for FSW, where it needs to be minimum 1 year full time with no gaps, primary NOC, and is a whole other subject.