+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to apply for open work permit with my application?

Chrisanya2321

Jul 31, 2020
I am a worker in Canada and my work permit expires in September 2021. I will be sending my file for PR under spousal sponsorship this month ( August 2020).
Do I need to apply for open work permit along with it?

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
I am a worker in Canada and my work permit expires in September 2021. I will be sending my file for PR under spousal sponsorship this month ( August 2020).
Do I need to apply for open work permit along with it?
If you have a secure job, you should consider to apply OWP with you application. Now processing time is significantly delay, need more than 12 months to wait for PR, and OWP will come first it will keep your status in Canada. Nobody know they may change their policy next year by withdraw owp for sponsorship.
But you also can save your money for owp application.
Think twice.

Chrisanya2321

Jul 31, 2020
If you have a secure job, you should consider to apply OWP with you application. Now processing time is significantly delay, need more than 12 months to wait for PR, and OWP will come first it will keep your status in Canada. Nobody know they may change their policy next year by withdraw owp for sponsorship.
But you also can save your money for owp application.
Think twice.

Thank you so much for the information. If I did not hear from them before my WP expires, can I apply later?

Chrisanya2321

Jul 31, 2020
Yes but the processing time is ridiculous. Honestly you might as well just do it at the same time.
Alright. Advice taken. It makes sense to apply now with everything going on with the processing time. Thank you so much for your help. Just one more question, do you know for how long the work permit be valid?

gchan

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Alright. Advice taken. It makes sense to apply now with everything going on with the processing time. Thank you so much for your help. Just one more question, do you know for how long the work permit be valid?
I am not sure if there is official policy but I heard others on the forum say theirs were valid for 2 years (from the date it was eventually issued). Of course it is also limited by the validity of your passport.