+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I meet the Permanent Residency Obligation ?

Mr.Gill

Jun 26, 2013
Hi
I am looking for answers to my 8 questions regarding my Permanent Residency Status

Question 1. Do I qualify on Number of days Criteria ?
I landed on 17th August 2010 as landed immigrant after my wife sponsored me. I got my Landing immigration papers on 17th August 2010 but I got my Permanent residency card in mid of October 2010 (around 17th or 18th october 2010). Expiry date on my PR card says (5th October 2015)
Then I left for India on 3rd Nov 2011 due to family problem and then came back to Canada on 28th November 2011
Then I left for Delhi on 22nd September 2012 and Since then I am in Delhi. I have certain family issues and don't know how soon I will be able to travel to Canada or not.
So my number of Days in Canada,
in 2010 =137
in 2011= 341
in 2012 = 266

Total number of Days from date of Landing = 744 days

Question 2 . My biggest question is "Will Immigration canada will calculate my days from my date of landing (i.e 17th August 2010) OR from the day when I received my PR card in mid of October ?

Question3. How much maximum time I can stay outside Canada and still keep my PR status?

Question 4. If I meet the number of days criteria then when is the best to renew the PR Card (is it by the end of 4th year or should I do it now) ?

Question 5. Can I renew my PR Card from India or do I need to be present in Canada for that process?

Question 6. Can they mail the PR card to Indian address or can it be mailed only on Candian address?

Question 7. Can my wife stop or disturb the PR renewal process since we are in dispute in Indian Court?

Question 8. How can I apply for certified true copy of my Landing Paper as I don't have them (my wife has stolen them) ?

Looking forward to hear from you people very soon..

Thanks & regards

Gill

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mr.Gill said:
Hi
I am looking for answers to my 8 questions regarding my Permanent Residency Status

Question 1. Do I qualify on Number of days Criteria ?
I landed on 17th August 2010 as landed immigrant after my wife sponsored me. I got my Landing immigration papers on 17th August 2010 but I got my Permanent residency card in mid of October 2010 (around 17th or 18th october 2010). Expiry date on my PR card says (5th October 2015)
Then I left for India on 3rd Nov 2011 due to family problem and then came back to Canada on 28th November 2011
Then I left for Delhi on 22nd September 2012 and Since then I am in Delhi. I have certain family issues and don't know how soon I will be able to travel to Canada or not.
So my number of Days in Canada,
in 2010 =137
in 2011= 341
in 2012 = 266

Total number of Days from date of Landing = 744 days

You already qualify for your first 5 years as a PR counting from your landing date. However, because it is a rolling 5 year period after the first 5 years, you need to be aware that after you get your PR card renewed, you must make sure you always have 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years at any time. After you get to your 5 year PR anniversary, the moving 5 year window will start to exclude the first days you stayed after landing and these days must be replaced with new days in Canada.

Question 2 . My biggest question is "Will Immigration canada will calculate my days from my date of landing (i.e 17th August 2010) OR from the day when I received my PR card in mid of October ?

Both. The first criteria is the first 5 years after you landed and after that it will be any rolling 5 year period.

Question3. How much maximum time I can stay outside Canada and still keep my PR status?

Up to 1095 days outside in a 5 year period are allowed.

Question 4. If I meet the number of days criteria then when is the best to renew the PR Card (is it by the end of 4th year or should I do it now) ?

You can not apply to renew it until it is 6 months or less away from expiring. For your renewal, immigration will take into account that you have or still can meet the 730 day requirement in your first 5 years or if you are already a PR for more than 5 years, if you meet it in the past 5.

Question 5. Can I renew my PR Card from India or do I need to be present in Canada for that process?

Your renewal application needs to come from within Canada but it is not a set in stone criteria that you must be in Canada yourself.

Question 6. Can they mail the PR card to Indian address or can it be mailed only on Candian address?

They may mail it to a Canadian address or request that you pick it up. They will not mail it outside Canada.

Question 7. Can my wife stop or disturb the PR renewal process since we are in dispute in Indian Court?

If your wife reports that you do not meet the residency requirements or that you have committed a crime, it may delay your renewal application.

Question 8. How can I apply for certified true copy of my Landing Paper as I don't have them (my wife has stolen them) ?

Apply here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp