+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to surrender Indian passport before applying for e-visa to India ?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
No specific reason really. My assumption was that Person of Indian Origin now with Canadian citizenship can only apply for entry visa prior to having OCI. I will look into details for e-visa instead. Thanks for the suggestion.
If you want to apply OCI from India you need entry visa. If you have plans to comeback better go with e-visa and then apply for SC, OCI later.

Ethen

Apr 12, 2024
Ottawa
I am also in a similar situation. I got canadian citizenship in Jan 2024 and Canadian passport in Mar 2024. I have booked my tickets to india in July 2024.
But right now BLS/Indian High-commission is not accepting the aplication for surrender certificate due to fee change. And they have no idea when they would accept it.
Since I dont have clarity on SC, I wont be able to apply/get Entry visa (45 days processing time) or OCI .

Being an Ex-Indian can I apply for e-Visa ? I tried to fill up the application form and looks like e-Visa is not for Ex-Indians passport holders.
Because the following questions are tricky and doesnt apply to Indian passport holders.
1) Have you ever visited India before ? Yes/No
Answer should be Yes as I was an Indian for almost 30 years.Then it needs following information
2) Last India Visa No/Currently valid Indian Visa No. :
3) Type of Visa :
4) Place of Issue :
5) Date of issue :

So what am I suppose to enter for 2,3,4 and 5 ?
Can someone who has already applied and got it, please confirm ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am also in a similar situation. I got canadian citizenship in Jan 2024 and Canadian passport in Mar 2024. I have booked my tickets to india in July 2024.
But right now BLS/Indian High-commission is not accepting the aplication for surrender certificate due to fee change. And they have no idea when they would accept it.
Since I dont have clarity on SC, I wont be able to apply/get Entry visa (45 days processing time) or OCI .

Being an Ex-Indian can I apply for e-Visa ? I tried to fill up the application form and looks like e-Visa is not for Ex-Indians passport holders.
Because the following questions are tricky and doesnt apply to Indian passport holders.
Answer should be Yes as I was an Indian for almost 30 years.Then it needs following information
3) Type of Visa :
4) Place of Issue :
5) Date of issue :

Yes you can apply for evisa
No should be your answer
Not applicable since it’s your first time applying for Indian as a Canadian passport holder

sumitp731

Jun 26, 2018

3) Type of Visa :
4) Place of Issue :
5) Date of issue :

Did you apply for E-visa? I need to know procedure.

Ethen

Apr 12, 2024
Ottawa
Did you apply for E-visa? I need to know procedure.
No I havent applied for E visa.
I am traveling to India in the month of July. So I will try for SC and then OCI. If I am not able to get it by June last week , I will apply for E visa.
I believe it is quite fast and doesnt take more than 72hrs.
If you have any question while filling up the form, you can email "indian-evisa@gov.in ". They respond very fast and are very helpfull.
Thanks.