+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to let the Ministry of Transportation/Health know that my status changed to Citizen?

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
Hi everyone...

Do I have to let the Ministry of Transportation/Health know that my status changed to Citizen?

Or can I continue using my OHIP?

If someone knows the answer, I would appreciate you help before I waste half a day going to the Service Ontario...

:)

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
When I land and became a PR CBSA officer explicitly instructed me to change the SIN and OHIP card.

Nothing like that happened during the citizenship application process. Local MP and Elections Canada are informed, and that's it. I don't think you need to inform anyone else.

I am thinking about mentioning this to the HR at my company.

It would be interesting to get other opinions.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone...

If someone knows the answer, I would appreciate you help before I waste half a day going to the Service Ontario...

No need to inform them. Continue using your DL and OHIP as usual.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Hi everyone...

Nothing changes regarding drivers licence or health insurance. You don't need to inform either of these authorities.

When I land and became a PR CBSA officer explicitly instructed me to change the SIN and OHIP card.

Nothing like that happened during the citizenship application process. Local MP and Elections Canada are informed, and that's it. I don't think you need to inform anyone else.

I am thinking about mentioning this to the HR at my company.

It would be interesting to get other opinions.
If the HR of your company is run according to legal standards, HR is not even allowed to track if you are a citizen or a permanent resident. All they are allowed to track is if you have a SIN that doesn't start with a 9 or not. Your SIN doesn't change when you become a citizen. If your employer ever asks you if you are a Citizen or a PR, they are not following labour laws. They can only ask you "are you allowed to work in Canada without restrictions, yes or no? Prove it with your SIN"

See this link below, its seems Service Ontario may want to update your file with the status change:

https://discuss.settlement.org/topic34646-updating-immigrationcitizenship-status.aspx
This update refers to a change from temporary to permanent immigration status, not to the change from PR to citizen.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
This update refers to a change from temporary to permanent immigration status, not to the change from PR to citizen.
If you checked the link which i shared earlier, its discussing a status change from PR to Citizen not from temporary to PR.

Nevertheless, i don't disagree...i would probably only update them only when its time to renew the health card.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
If you checked the link which i shared earlier, its discussing a status change from PR to Citizen not from temporary to PR.

Nevertheless, i don't disagree...i would probably only update them only when its time to renew the health card.
I read the link. But I'm not referring to what they claim in that forum which is wrong. They quote the Service Ontario forms and are reading them wrong. The change in immigration status is not about obtaining citizenship.

But I guess we agree anyways :)