+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I apply from outside Canada or inside Canada?? Please Help!

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
I have been doing a lot of research on family class sponsorship and cannot find a definite answer to our situation... Can someone please help me?

I am a U.S. citizen married to a Canadian citizen- we live in Chicago. We are hoping to move back to Canada, to the Calgary area.

My question is this: Would it make more sense to start the application now, from outside Canada? If we do start it now and then move to Canada, how can I move there legally without a PR?? I know that I can't do it by a visitor visa, but can I apply for a temporary resident visa? I have also heard that I can go as a tourist and stay 6 months, but what happens when 6 months are up and I don't have my PR yet? Can I apply for an extension?

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Okay, I just looked more at the cic website and I do not need a temporary resident visa to go to Canada. It sounds like I can move there while I am still in the midst of applying for permanent residency...does that sound right??

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
What you need for the long run is a permanent resident visa. Your wife will sponsor you, of course.

In the short run, you are allowed to visit Canada as a tourist for up to 6 months. You don't need a TRV.

Also, just so you know, if you show up at the border with your wife, a household full of goods, and asking for a 6-month tourist visa, you won't get it. It'll be very clear that you're trying to move, and they'll deny your tourist visa based on that fact.

So when you cross, be discrete about your long-term agenda. Come prepared with a reasonable tourist itinerary.

failingmemory

Jul 30, 2007
My husband (Canadian) and I came across and had no trouble. HE moved everything (remember when going through customs to state that you are returning to Canada with your PERSONAL belongings so that you do not have to pay tax on them) in one vehicle and my children and I came through in another as visitors.

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
So, would it be better to move up there and apply for permanent residency within Canada? Or would it just be easier for me to wait here in Chicago while I apply in the U.S.?? My husband (Canadian) thinks as his wife I would automatically be able to enter Canada with him to move there...Maybe we should talk to a lawyer, even though our situation is very straight forward (no kids, no previous marriages, no criminal record, etc.)

I am really confused and I don't want to do anything illegal--I want this to go smoothly!!

Thanks for ANY help!!

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
npierce said:
So, would it be better to move up there and apply for permanent residency within Canada? Or would it just be easier for me to wait here in Chicago while I apply in the U.S.?? My husband (Canadian) thinks as his wife I would automatically be able to enter Canada with him to move there...Maybe we should talk to a lawyer, even though our situation is very straight forward (no kids, no previous marriages, no criminal record, etc.)

I am really confused and I don't want to do anything illegal--I want this to go smoothly!!

Thanks for ANY help!!
The above posters gave you pointers to help you make your decision. I do understand your reason for being cautious with your immigration needs, but there is nothing illegal with those pointers already given. :)

You said your husband thinks that you can enter Canada automatically just by being married to him, as he is Canadian - sorry, but his country's law does not say so.

As a U.S. citizen, you can enter Canada without a visa, as long as you have proof of your U.S. citizenship, and you are initially entitled to stay in Canada for 6 months. While in Canada, you can always apply for an extension to your stay at least 30 days before your entry permit in your passport /travel document expires.

OPTION 1
If you process your application while you are now in the U.S., it means that you will have to be physically present in the U.S. for at least 4 to 8 months so that CIC can communicate with you until the process is completed. If you are not physically located in the U.S., then you will always face the possibility of missing communications from CIC as well as deadline dates for any further documentation from you, and /or the interview date; all of which can lead to your application being rejected at some point in time for non-response on your part. And then, you will have to start the process all over again.

So far, on an average, applicants outside of Canada have reported at least 5 months for completion under Family Sponsorship - check this site: http://trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/

OPTION 2
If you process your application while you are in Canada as a visitor - to include any extended stay - then the completion of the process - it has been said - takes longer usually, 7 to 8 months or even more, and this is based on the varied experiences of other spousal applicants within Canada. If you choose to go this route, pay attention to the language given in the 2 options from CIC on "Maintaining Your Legal Status in Canada" until your application is processsed - see this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289E10.asp

OPTION 3
Otherwise, feel free to retain a Canadian lawyer, and have him or her help you to process your application while you are now in the United States, not when you are in Canada. Most lawyers these days communicate with clients by email, and make sure you retain one that will accommodate this type of communication so that you will always know when CIC needs something from you.

After your lawyer, who is now your representative, sends in your application, you can follow your husband to Canada as a visitor and you can always extend your stay. Always remember to inform your lawyer about any new physical address, whether in the U.S. or Canada. And if your lawyer needs to send any CIC communication to you, he/she can send it to your U.S. or a Canadian address, if that will be the case.

However, if you need to attend an interview, it will have to be in the U.S., at any Canadian Consular office that is the closest to the physical U.S. address you give to your lawyer initially.

If you are going to use this route, Option 3, make sure that you take with you to Canada, all of your life's personal portfolio to include things like birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc. just in case CIC requests for them again, for reasons only known to them, that way, it curtails the number of times you will be required - except for the interview - to come back to the U.S. just for documents. And believe me, you will have to come back for any documents, if need be.

FINAL WORDS /ADVICE
One more thing, and I know you've done your homework, but I've known of applicants who did not do the sponsorship application the right way when applying outside of Canada. Make sure you do yours the right way. The sponsorship application consists of 2 different applications that should be sent in together to the Case Processing Center in Mississauga, Ontario. The 2 appliations are: (1) Your husband's spousal application, which he completes; and (2) Your Permanent Resident application, which you complete. Later on, the Mississauga office will contact you or your lawyer, if you retain one, in order to inform you (or through your representative) which Consular office in the U.S. will be responsible for your application.

Anyway, if you end up using a lawyer, your application will be done the right way.

The process of immigration involves a lot of options for applicants and the fact that options are available does not make these options seem illegal - they are what they are - options.

So, now that you know your options, feel free to verify them by consulting a reputable Canadian lawyer; and go from there, if you wish it so.

We are here to help one another. Hope we've helped you so far :)

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Thank you, especially to Libra for your thorough response...

Right now I think I am most worried about making sure we choose the right option for us. I am hoping my husband's company will help us out with the costs of a lawyer so that will ease the burden a bit. I am still confused but hopefully there will be more clarity as this process goes on.