+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do canadian immigration officers phone your current employer

ronnygracias

Mar 3, 2011
I would like to know if the immigration officers would contact my current employer, I am currently working for a private equity advisory firm, and before this i was working in a hotel as a restaurant manager. I don't mine if they call my previous employer, but i cannot say the same with my current employer. If you take the pointing system, my former experience gives me the points i need and the current does not. your advise would be really helpful. Let me know if there is a way of requesting them, not to contact my current company.

Thanks

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that by applying for PR you grant CIC, or any Canadian Authority they grant access to (CSIS, etc), to perform checks where they see fit.
So the answer is likely to be that they can contact whoever they wish, without further authorization from you.

I guess you could ask them to not contact your current employer, but it may raise a red flag.

pittabread

Champion Member
Oct 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sometimes they do, sometimes don't. if your case is well prepared and presented normally nobody calls......
luck also matters here if they pick you or not............

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ronnygracias said:
I would like to know if the immigration officers would contact my current employer, I am currently working for a private equity advisory firm, and before this i was working in a hotel as a restaurant manager. I don't mine if they call my previous employer, but i cannot say the same with my current employer. If you take the pointing system, my former experience gives me the points i need and the current does not. your advise would be really helpful. Let me know if there is a way of requesting them, not to contact my current company.

Thanks
They call in to verify for few cases, if you paper work is well done chances are thin that they will call

Requesting them not to check with current employer is not an option

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
ronnygracias said:

Thanks
Hi,

Visa officers can phone your employer and visit your employers too if they want. However it happens rarely, still why take a chance?Look at the recent thread here, about visa officer has visited the workplace- posted by coolguy above

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
ronnygracias said:

Thanks
If you believe that you can get all the points without involving your current employer, then skip it! CIC may call anybody for clarification or may resort to any form of verification! Do not take the chance if you know they will spoil the show for you.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kcsider said:
If you believe that you can get all the points without involving your current employer, then skip it! CIC may call anybody for clarification or may resort to any form of verification! Do not take the chance if you know they will spoil the show for you.
When you say "skip it" what do you mean?

Deliberate omission of facts is misrepresentation.

Kcsider

Jan 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
Baloo

Its possible the current employer does not want him to leave and may discourage CIC if contacted.
Unless CIC has a way of conducting a due diligence test to be able to detect this.
I did not recommend any form of misrepresentation of facts.

aliz

Star Member
Oct 31, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May - 2009
Doc's Request.
July - 2009
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
September - 2009
Med's Request
August - 2010
Med's Done....
September - 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
May 16, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 17, 2011
LANDED..........
May 17, 2011
I agree that we shouldn’t misrepresent CIC

I also applied with arranged employee, as of today we not received any phone call from them.

I am working for non-profit and we were partnered with CIDA and Canadian Government in various project in past.

I submit my medicals and Residence fees in September 2010, and waiting for my PR card

Good luck everyone.

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ronnygracias said:
I would like to know if the immigration officers would contact my current employer, I am currently working for a private equity advisory firm, and before this i was working in a hotel as a restaurant manager. I don't mine if they call my previous employer, but i cannot say the same with my current employer.
Thanks
IO's are free to call/ visit/ ask/ inquire/ verify -> anybody related to your file, maybe in person or through representative, or by interview/phone call...so my Dear these issues were supposed to be sorted out well in advance or before sending your Docs. Once your application goes into process you are not authorise to Guide them or request them about the procedures...Doing this might lead to suspicion and subsequently delay your case...Rest you can Consult seniors..-> Qorax, Leon, Matties <-

...Bobby554

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kcsider said:
I did not recommend any form of misrepresentation of facts.
I did not think you had.

What was the "skip it" comment?

Previous post edited

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thier guidelines categorically say that if you are unable to provide a ref letter from your current employer than put up an explaination in your cover letter. so this explaination tells them that contacting current employer may put a risk to applicant losing his job etc.........and VO avois contacting current employer under those circumstances. however they may try other methods of verifications.

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
ronnygracias said:

Thanks
Yes, there is a chance they call. You better get your case cleared with your employer. However, the VO will be much interested to call the employer for the actual NOC you filed with.

ronnygracias

Mar 3, 2011
Kcsider said:
What do you mean by "skip it"