+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DM to Oath, the actual truth!

Siar

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Here is the explanation provided on the CIC "Online Services" regarding DM:

"Applicant Notified
You will be notified by mail about the decision on your citizenship application.

If you meet the requirements, you will be invited to a citizenship ceremony where you will take the oath of citizenship and receive a certificate of Canadian citizenship.

If you do not meet the requirements, you will be informed in writing."

But, what does DM really refer to? Why waiting so long before sending oath invite (for tha majority that is more than 50% of the time since the application is sent)? Are there any hiden puposes? Etc.
Also, I've heard that even until oath is taken, one can still be able to get RQ. So, What the actual value of the CIC correspondance?

Just wondering.

zineb83

Oct 14, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No one will really know ?! Dm is good and you have to wait for the oath 4, 5 , 6 months the total processing time is 12 months if you are less so it is good it is normal , before it was 24 and more so waiting for the oath 4 or 6 months is fine , it is fine with me

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
I am sure that at the test the officer told you if everything is OK or not. If all is good your test invite will come in about 4-8 weeks from the test.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
The bottleneck in most places is the shortage of Citizenship Judges. Ottawa didn't have one until I checked last.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Here is the explanation provided on the CIC "Online Services" regarding DM:

"Applicant Notified
You will be notified by mail about the decision on your citizenship application.

If you meet the requirements, you will be invited to a citizenship ceremony where you will take the oath of citizenship and receive a certificate of Canadian citizenship.

If you do not meet the requirements, you will be informed in writing."

But, what does DM really refer to? Why waiting so long before sending oath invite (for tha majority that is more than 50% of the time since the application is sent)? Are there any hiden puposes? Etc.
Also, I've heard that even until oath is taken, one can still be able to get RQ. So, What the actual value of the CIC correspondance?

Just wondering.
If you see DM after the interview, rejoice! It is a favorable decision!

CIC need to go through a couple of mandatory steps before a negative decision can be made. As for oath, I guess there must be a backlog. I had to wait six weeks to get an oath invite, and another three weeks to the ceremony.

Reactions: Siar

layla_

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Calgary has 2 or 3 ceremonies each and every week. Yet the wait from Test --> to DM --> to Oath Letter --> To oath date is still exceedingly slow.
And EXTREMELY inconsistent.

I agree - it doesn't make sense why there is such a delay from a status changing from IP to DM (at that point, shouldn't all clearances be completed???), to ECAS being updated, to the actual Oath letters being sent out.... other than "standard" government bureaucracy and workload capacity that is. ;)

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Calgary has 2 or 3 ceremonies each and every week. Yet the wait from Test --> to DM --> to Oath Letter --> To oath date is still exceedingly slow.
And EXTREMELY inconsistent.

I agree - it doesn't make sense why there is such a delay from a status changing from IP to DM (at that point, shouldn't all clearances be completed???), to ECAS being updated, to the actual Oath letters being sent out.... other than "standard" government bureaucracy and workload capacity that is. ;)
Some offices let you take the test first before they check all the securities or before this process has ended, while other offices finish first the security checks before you are invited for the test.

layla_

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Some offices let you take the test first before they check all the securities or before this process has ended, while other offices finish first the security checks before you are invited for the test.
Absolutely. My application was received and went into processing very fast - within a week. Then it took over 5 months to receive a test invite. At my interview the agent told me all was done except for one security clearance. Which makes sense considering it took over 5 months to get to the test stage. DM followed a week later which I would assume means that the final clearance came. Once you get a DM I would assumed all clearances are complete otherwise they can't make a decision on your case.

Siar

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
I'm wondering how or what kind of informations they look for when they do the security clearance? I mean from which service/office/province/country, etc. ? Why does it sometimes take so long?
If someone could tell that, I would sleep less stupid today lol

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I'm wondering how or what kind of informations they look for when they do the security clearance? I mean from which service/office/province/country, etc. ? Why does it sometimes take so long?
If someone could tell that, I would sleep less stupid today lol
I believe it depends on where you are from, your travel history (business or private) and what you are doing job wise. I assume if you travel a lot to countries that are connected to terrorism your security check will take longer. But then...how would I know, it is all guess work.

S

slpmaple