+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DM and Delays

Curious123

Sep 18, 2016
Hi all need help with understanding this process? What does decision made on citizenship applications mean? Does it mean your application is approved? and if so why are some people getting their oaths faster than others? Thanks for the replies

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
DECISION MADE means just what it says. IRCC, or rather the citizenship officer in charge of your case, has made a decision on your application.

Whether that decision is an approval or refusal, my understanding is that depends on what issues they had with your case at the test/interview. If the only issue was the residence requirement, then DECISION MADE means an approval, as citizenship officers can't refuse an application just for not meeting the residence requirement. If they're not satisfied that you meet the residence requirement, no decision is made and your case is referred to a citizenship judge.

Before the new law, officers had to refer cases to citizenship judges for every issue, not just residency (i.e. language proficiency, knowledge of Canada, criminal prohibitions). Now they don't. Officers decide one way or the other on all these issues, except residency.

So if they had concerns on your case other than residence, a DECISION MADE could be a formal refusal. Otherwise, it's an approval.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
Curious123 said:
So a DM can also mean refusal? when and how will I be notified of the decision? Thanks Marcus
Yes, that's what I said, depending on the issues with your application.

When you get the decision letter from IRCC, that I couldn't tell you. If you don't want to wait for the letter, you might try calling the IRCC call centre. They might look at your file and tell you the decision. You'll need your application number when you call them.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Curious123 said:
Hi all need help with understanding this process? What does decision made on citizenship applications mean? Does it mean your application is approved? and if so why are some people getting their oaths faster than others? Thanks for the replies
Some people can get oath letters in 10 days and some get in within 2 months. I don't know the reason why.