+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DL Experience - Driving experience transfer - From Kerala non-chip based, online extract.

ofeida

Feb 10, 2022
Hi all,

I have benefitted from the posts on this forum for the DL process in Toronto. So here is an attempt to give back. I had landed in Toronto with original Indian license (laminated card from Kerala state) but without a DL extract from India so was worried initially. But, thank God, I was able to get it done. So here is what I did.

First, I scrounged the Internet including this forum for the process details. I scheduled an appointment for the G1 test using the online appointment system. This is convenient if you can get the appointment but they fill up fast and are available only for a small time at 12 AM in the night. I had taken it one night because I was awake at that time. It was for beyond two months but eventually ended up using the appointment due to procrastination. This is at 777 Bay Street service Ontario and if you have the appointment, there is no line and you can get the whole process including the G1 test done within an hour. But having visited Mississauga Drive test later, I think it's better to go for the Drive test centers with less lines and get it all done in one go because Service Ontario did not accept my Driver's extract. But if you have a chip based license and the original DL extract signed and stamped from India, this is an option.

At the service Ontario, I told the lady clerk that I wanted to take the G1 written test, transfer my experience, and schedule a G road test. The lady refused to accept my DL extract which I printed online saying a number of reasons. One that extract looks like a scan and not original, even though the online one is verifiable using the QR Code. Second that my license was not on plastic (She meant chip-based I think, mine was on card with a hologram on the back). I just got frustrated trying to convince her and just went ahead with my G1 test. Which I passed. Next week I went to the Mississauga drive test Centre, which has less lines by the way, and gave the same driving extract and the original license and eventually they accepted it. The lady there initially was skeptical and then took the extract and license to another lady who sat on a computer and verified it I think. This was nice on their part. I was also able to schedule the road test from there also. Such a relief!

So here is the deal: what you need ideally, to transfer driving experience from India is the original valid drivers license and the original driving extract with stamp and signature. The drivers license if chip based is good but the non-chip-based card license worked for me too.

The driving extract should ideally be the one we get from Parivahan online with an original stamp and signature on it to show that it's real. But, even without the original stamp and signature, it works at some Drive test centres because they have started verifying it online.

So if you are in India right now, then do two things. One, try to get a chip based plastic licence if it is possible in your region. Two, get DL extract online or from the RTO office but make sure that you get it signed and stamped in Ink. But if you're already here and have a valid card license, then don't worry. Get a DL extract online, print it out, just make sure the details on it like the DL number, name and DOB matches your original Drivers license. Take these 2 things and go to a DriveTest center known to accept it.

So far, from my research I have seen these centers to accept it, maybe we can expand this based on other's experiences:
1. Etobicoke (reports here)
2. Mississauga (they did for me)
3. Brampton (I was told by a friend they do, someone can verify)
4. Toronto Metro East location on Lawrence Ave (3 friends got it done here)

Centers that don't take it:
1. Service Ontario on 777 Bay street. (Especially if you end up with an old lady clerk with white hair. She'll nicely tell you you can take it in a year).

That's about it. Thank you all, the discussions does help.

Reactions: JAS18

ashwinjoe0209

Apr 16, 2022
Hi all,

I have benefitted from the posts on this forum for the DL process in Toronto. So here is an attempt to give back. I had landed in Toronto with original Indian license (laminated card from Kerala state) but without a DL extract from India so was worried initially. But, thank God, I was able to get it done. So here is what I did.

First, I scrounged the Internet including this forum for the process details. I scheduled an appointment for the G1 test using the online appointment system. This is convenient if you can get the appointment but they fill up fast and are available only for a small time at 12 AM in the night. I had taken it one night because I was awake at that time. It was for beyond two months but eventually ended up using the appointment due to procrastination. This is at 777 Bay Street service Ontario and if you have the appointment, there is no line and you can get the whole process including the G1 test done within an hour. But having visited Mississauga Drive test later, I think it's better to go for the Drive test centers with less lines and get it all done in one go because Service Ontario did not accept my Driver's extract. But if you have a chip based license and the original DL extract signed and stamped from India, this is an option.

At the service Ontario, I told the lady clerk that I wanted to take the G1 written test, transfer my experience, and schedule a G road test. The lady refused to accept my DL extract which I printed online saying a number of reasons. One that extract looks like a scan and not original, even though the online one is verifiable using the QR Code. Second that my license was not on plastic (She meant chip-based I think, mine was on card with a hologram on the back). I just got frustrated trying to convince her and just went ahead with my G1 test. Which I passed. Next week I went to the Mississauga drive test Centre, which has less lines by the way, and gave the same driving extract and the original license and eventually they accepted it. The lady there initially was skeptical and then took the extract and license to another lady who sat on a computer and verified it I think. This was nice on their part. I was also able to schedule the road test from there also. Such a relief!

So here is the deal: what you need ideally, to transfer driving experience from India is the original valid drivers license and the original driving extract with stamp and signature. The drivers license if chip based is good but the non-chip-based card license worked for me too.

The driving extract should ideally be the one we get from Parivahan online with an original stamp and signature on it to show that it's real. But, even without the original stamp and signature, it works at some Drive test centres because they have started verifying it online.

So if you are in India right now, then do two things. One, try to get a chip based plastic licence if it is possible in your region. Two, get DL extract online or from the RTO office but make sure that you get it signed and stamped in Ink. But if you're already here and have a valid card license, then don't worry. Get a DL extract online, print it out, just make sure the details on it like the DL number, name and DOB matches your original Drivers license. Take these 2 things and go to a DriveTest center known to accept it.

So far, from my research I have seen these centers to accept it, maybe we can expand this based on other's experiences:
1. Etobicoke (reports here)
2. Mississauga (they did for me)
3. Brampton (I was told by a friend they do, someone can verify)
4. Toronto Metro East location on Lawrence Ave (3 friends got it done here)

Centers that don't take it:
1. Service Ontario on 777 Bay street. (Especially if you end up with an old lady clerk with white hair. She'll nicely tell you you can take it in a year).

That's about it. Thank you all, the discussions does help.

Hello, thanks for the detailed explanation. One of my query is that the DL number in kerala has changed around 2 years back and my DL number which I have in license is mentioned as prev DL number in the extract, did you also encounter same issue and if so, what did you do to rectify it? Basically they just changed the format of the DL number.

Sputhane

May 4, 2023
Hi everybody.
I have my car driving license since 2004, and got it renewed recently to a chip based card, but the new license issue date is showing 2021 date, where as I need to have atleast 2 year experience to show if I get into Truck driving in Canada. If I directly want a G2 license.
The extract also shows only 2021 date, how can I prove my driving years experience??
Any similar cases here, please share your knowledge....

Jul 28, 2022
I gave my G1 knowledge test today at the Stratford, ON test center. The drive test agent there (who was Indian btw), said he cannot add the experience to my license. When asked why, he said he cannot give an explanation. Only his supervisor could and that they were not there today. Anyone know why they would do this? and what is likely the issue?

My license is from Gurgaon, Haryana, India and has a chip with it. The DL extract has a QR code and when I scan the QR code, the DL extract shows up in the web browser.

So frustrated and confused that I could not get a reason and all my years of driving experience have been disregarded.

sahil.amanu

Apr 13, 2021
I took my G1 today from Lawrence, and the clerk didn't allow the Kerala Extract. She said, come back with original driving licence and CHIP card else, sorry.

i dont know what to do now.. Should i order it online and ask someone to post the new extract to me via bluedart or should i go to https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/india-licence/ and apply for a attested driving licence

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I took my G1 today from Lawrence, and the clerk didn't allow the Kerala Extract. She said, come back with original driving licence and CHIP card else, sorry.

i dont know what to do now.. Should i order it online and ask someone to post the new extract to me via bluedart or should i go to https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/india-licence/ and apply for a attested driving licence
Take transit.

SreejushChi

Jan 23, 2024
I am having the same issue. The DL test centre in Kitchener has rejected my DL saying it’s not a Ministry approved Dl license. I had the laminated on from Kerala. They didn’t even accept my DL Extract which had the stamp and sign from my RTO. Any idea for what should be done.. ??

sahil.amanu

Apr 13, 2021
I am having the same issue. The DL test centre in Kitchener has rejected my DL saying it’s not a Ministry approved Dl license. I had the laminated on from Kerala. They didn’t even accept my DL Extract which had the stamp and sign from my RTO. Any idea for what should be done.. ??
the laminated one will get rejected as they wont recognize the same. What you need is the DL extract and "New ATM card type Licence" (Not the cheap laminated one MVD was issuing).

I had got the same last day. Going to drivetest tomorrow to add my experience. Hopefully (kandariyaam)

SreejushChi

Jan 23, 2024
the laminated one will get rejected as they wont recognize the same. What you need is the DL extract and "New ATM card type Licence" (Not the cheap laminated one MVD was issuing).

I had got the same last day. Going to drivetest tomorrow to add my experience. Hopefully (kandariyaam)
Oh!! Bro how long did it take to get yours from RTO. 2 month?
And also did someone had to visit RTO physically with documents or was it all online and just waiting … ?
And one more question? Was it shipped with bluedart?

sahil.amanu

Apr 13, 2021
Oh!! Bro how long did it take to get yours from RTO. 2 month?
And also did someone had to visit RTO physically with documents or was it all online and just waiting … ?
And one more question? Was it shipped with bluedart?
I applied on 29 November 2023, from canada. But I couldn't get anything going on or status from MVD. Then i sent my brother in Kerala to get the DL extract which he went and got in a day. I booked a Delhivery Order who picked the documents from my home. and it got delivered to me after 6 days by UPS. I had to pay 3200 INR.

jyothisjohn

Star Member
Aug 5, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
02-11-2023

Any update on this one? Did they accept the ATM card-like license from Kerala with DL Extract?