+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after ppr, PLEASE PLEASE help me.

xuan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Hi Guys,

please i need your advice what i should do, i just got my PPR my wife was non-accompagnying ( we didnt have enough points for both of us) my wife was at the beginning Okay no problem i will wait you to sponsor me, but now she changed her mind and she want we divorce,

Now i worry i lose my Ppr even if she gave me 0 point, can i land to canada quickly 1 day and come back give her divorce or should i divorce now? ( i didn't land yet)

Thank you so so much for your valuable advice.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hi Guys,

please i need your advice what i should do, i just got my PPR my wife was non-accompagnying ( we didnt have enough points for both of us) my wife was at the beginning Okay no problem i will wait you to sponsor me, but now she changed her mind and she want we divorce,

Now i worry i lose my Ppr even if she gave me 0 point, can i land to canada quickly 1 day and come back give her divorce or should i divorce now? ( i didn't land yet)

My valuable advice. If u love your wife try to work your marriage out

Reactions: paneka penalty

ashwani.m

Feb 5, 2017
Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
You can give divorce and inform CIC about change in family.. Should not be a problem as you didn't claim points for wife.. But if you want lesser complications, and for securing your PR, landing in canada, completing landing exercise and then giving divorce sounds better idea here..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Guys,

Given that your wife is not accompanying AND has not contributed to the application, if you chose to land as a Permanent Resident before divorcing, you would not strictly be committing misrepresentation. If you divorce before you land, then you must go down the road of formally notifying IRCC.

xuan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
@ashwani.m @zardoz Thank you so much for your reply, i would like to confirm please , once i land and stay in canada only 1 day i am considered as a official permanent resident right ? or i should wait untill i have my card ?

After i land in canada and stay 1 day then leave, should i inform IRCC ? ( tell them that i left to get divorced )

my wife doesn't want wait a lot.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@ashwani.m @zardoz Thank you so much for your reply, i would like to confirm please , once i land and stay in canada only 1 day i am considered as a official permanent resident right ? or i should wait untill i have my card ?

After i land in canada and stay 1 day then leave, should i inform IRCC ? ( tell them that i left to get divorced )

my wife doesn't want wait a lot.
You are a PR as soon as you land.

No, you don't need to inform IRCC.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my stamped visa and COPR. I applied together with my common law partner and children,both of them received there visas and COPR as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility of many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

thank you in advance for your help

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my stamped visa and COPR. I applied together with my common law partner and children,both of them received there visas and COPR as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility of many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

You must report it

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW

As far as I know, from some people who discussed this issue in different forums, The primary applicant must report the divorce to IRCC, which will invalidate the spouse's COPR. If you are not legally divorced yet, then in theory you could land together and then do the process from Canada. Your COPR remains valid as points are no longer a factor once you've submitted your application. Changes in life circumstances after an e-APR must be reported but do not result in a score recalculation.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
As far as I know, from some people who discussed this issue in different forums, The primary applicant must report the divorce to IRCC, which will invalidate the spouse's COPR. If you are not legally divorced yet, then in theory you could land together and then do the process from Canada. Your COPR remains valid as points are no longer a factor once you've submitted your application. Changes in life circumstances after an e-APR must be reported but do not result in a score recalculation.
As COPR is expiring next month and court filing and divorce decree will take almost 6 months. Do they change my COPR as it is written married . Can I travel to canada in this circumstances.

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
As COPR is expiring next month and court filing and divorce decree will take almost 6 months. Do they change my COPR as it is written married . Can I travel to canada in this circumstances.
Since you are not legally divorced and if you are the Primary Applicant. You should immediately contact IRCC via the Case Specific Enquiry system (webform) and let them know that your circumstances have changed. Do NOT attempt to land as a PR until you have been told what to do.

Anyone who comes across your post will have the following suggestions:

• Complete your landing immediately as the main applicant. Sort out your marital situation after. Possible Counter arguments to the said suggestion is as follows
    • That's inappropriate advice, for two reasons.
      1) it's misrepresentation.
      2) the Primary applicant doesn't want their spouse to be landed. If the Primary applicant doesn't land, the dependent can't either.
Those who disagree to the above mentioned will put forth this -
1) Misrepresentation - The couple is still legally married until a divorce. "Intention" to file divorce is not reasonable grounds for misrepresentation.
2) The principal applicant will jeopardize the whole application in attempt to get his/her partner off the application. It's best to land and then part ways.
  • Legally married BUT essentially "separated". That is considered as a change in circumstances. Anticipate scrutiny if soon after landing you separate or never live together in Canada.

Contacting IRCC via the Case Specific Enquiry system to let them know your situations changed and waiting for their response about what to do next is one option which could be a smooth way of handling the situation if you don't want to end up in situations which will drag you into hassles. And this could be a time consuming process but this will give you a good start when you arrive in Canada rather going after the divorce and settlement issues soon after you land.

This my opinion and I am not a professional, There could be easy and effective possible solutions by anybody else who went through this situation. Wait a bit and see if anybody else will give you better suggestions

Last edited: