+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after becoming PR

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi.
I came to Canada as a student visa in September 2016.
Got married to my present wife in June 2017 after dating her for about six months. She is a Canadian born and citizen. She sponsored me and I got my PR in December 2018.

We lived happily till last week. When I found out that she cheated on me with her ex.

Now I want to leave her. It has been almost 3 years since I married her and applied for the sponsorship application. And one year and two months since I got my PR.

My question. is. If I get the divorce now. Can I still apply for the citizenship in future.?
If yes, would there be anything I need to explain while applying for the citizenship ?

Or getting a divorce would effect my PR status. And my chances to get the citizenship. ?

And, can I get married again in future to a non cnaadian girl and sponsor her. Given the fact i, myself was sponsored.

My life is an emotional wreck right now. And I am really confused. About what should I do.

Please help. Anyone. If you can.
Thank you.
No effect, and no effect, though you've just found out you've been cheated on and you're already planning on who you want to sponsor next . Whatever , no and no

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

No effect, and no effect, though you've just found out you've been cheated on and you're already planning on who you want to sponsor next . Whatever , no and no
1. Actually there is an effect, can't sponsor a new spouse for 5 years after "landing" somewhere around December 2023

Ayush Setia

Feb 28, 2020
I am not planning to sponsor anyone. But I need to know if I can. I just need to know my options.
Thanks for the reply.

Hdnarola20

Jun 21, 2019
My ex-wife was in Canada on a work visa when we got married.Before her work visa expired we both applied for PR through express entry ,she was the principle applicant and i was dependent applicant. After we got our PR she existed Canada and reentered as PR and i came from Pakistan as PR .We got married in Pakistan and unfortunately got divorced through Pakistani law system.Now i am in Canada living here as PR and planning to get married from Pakistan.Will there be any issue in sponsoring my spouse to become PR in Canada?
Hi Brother...
I hope you got pr now....
Actually i have a same situation i got pr and i my wife got pr depend on me...
But now we divorced and its been 2 year and meanwhile i married another girl so can i apply her depended PR...
Also do i have to wait for certain period of time...
Your answer will be helpful for me
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Brother...
But now we divorced and its been 2 year and meanwhile i married another girl so can i apply her depended PR...
Thanks
when did your first wife land in Canada and when did you divorce? When did you get remarried?

Hdnarola20

Jun 21, 2019
Hi Brother...
My wife got pr November 2017..
Divorced date January 2019
And i got married recently November 2019...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Brother...
Thanks
As you didn't sponsor your first wife, you can sponsor your current wife whenever you want.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry I though you sponsored your wife. If you were both part of the same PR application you don’t need to wait. If you sponsored your spouse once you already had PR then you have to wait 3 years.

pskamboj97

Sep 30, 2018
Hi there,

Want to confirm again! I got PR through my spouse on Jan 17/2020 - he applied through PNP and included me in his federal application while I was a visitor in Canada. So, we both got PR together (it's been 1 year now since we became PR).

We have separated due to personal reasons. Now, I am in relationship from past 8 months but I only moved out 2 months ago from my ex-husband's basement. My husband wants a divorce from me by applying it under Adultery grounds. My question is-

1) Would I be eligible to sponsor my bf as a spouse once we both get married and my divorce is finalized?
2) Would there be any bad impact or concerns on my PR or while applying for Citizenship in future or even while applying to sponsor my new spouse (my bf is in Canada too on LMIA expiring in August/2021)?
3) Will the 8 months be counted of my relationship with my bf towards the common-law relationship if we decide to apply for his PR even if I lived under the same roof with my ex-husband?

Thank you in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

Want to confirm again! I got PR through my spouse on Jan 17/2020 - he applied through PNP and included me in his federal application while I was a visitor in Canada. So, we both got PR together (it's been 1 year now since we became PR).

We have separated due to personal reasons. Now, I am in relationship from past 8 months but I only moved out 2 months ago from my ex-husband's basement. My husband wants a divorce from me by applying it under Adultery grounds. My question is-

1) Would I be eligible to sponsor my bf as a spouse once we both get married and my divorce is finalized?
2) Would there be any bad impact or concerns on my PR or while applying for Citizenship in future or even while applying to sponsor my new spouse (my bf is in Canada too on LMIA expiring in August/2021)?
3) Will the 8 months be counted of my relationship with my bf towards the common-law relationship if we decide to apply for his PR even if I lived under the same roof with my ex-husband?

Thank you in advance!
1) Yes. Make sure your divorced is finalized before you get married again.
2) No - there shouldn't be.
3) No - you were still living with your ex for the first six months. You can only count the last two months (assuming you were living together with your bf).

Reactions: pskamboj97

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

Thank you in advance!
Would add that you an only count the last 2 months if you were living together and have proof that you were living together like both names on a lease, utility bills with your names on it, other bills or mail with your names on it. You can’t just say you lived together you must prove it.

Reactions: pskamboj97

pskamboj97

Sep 30, 2018
1) Yes. Make sure your divorced is finalized before you get married again.
2) No - there shouldn't be.
3) No - you were still living with your ex for the first six months. You can only count the last two months (assuming you were living together with your bf).
Already, thank you so much Scylla for the information! I hope it is correct because lot of people say no matter how you got your PR if it was through your spouse you cannot sponsor another spouse for next 5 years neither your spouse from the date you both got PR.

But to my understanding since, we both were temporary and the sponsorship application is only when one of the spouse is PR, I don't think we fall under that category. Although, it is very tough to clarify as the CIC website does not mentions anything about this situation it only highlight ineligible points to be a sponsor if the application for PR was through sponsorship and nothing about if both the applicants get PR at the same time with one being dependent.