+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Discussion on Masters program in Computer Science / Computer Engineering

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
One more question - here is the scenario:
I graduate 1 year full time (https://www.uvic.ca/engineering/ece/future/graduate/mtis/index.php) in Canada would it be considered as Masters degree or just postgrad diploma?
So let's say I graduated 1 year masters and then got PGWP visa. I'd work 1 year then go for another 1 year diploma would I get 1 year PGWP or 3 year?

Just considering various options.

You can only apply for a PGWP once in a lifetime. It's a permit that's applicable for a single-time. It cannot be extended.

And it's not possible to first do 1 course, get a PGWP, work for a year, and then do 1 more course for another PGWP. That's not how it works

You finish a course and apply for it once. That's all.

mayori

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
I personally know about the program that you just posted. Have you been accepted to it? If you have, then I can tell you that despite it being a year long you have options to extend using Co-Op terms after which you can apply for 3 year PGWP.
thanks for the info.
Found this while exploring the program:

"For international students, admission into the co-op program does not make you eligible for a work term unless and until you also have a valid work permit. "

Does it mean I can't go for Co-op without first getting PGWP?

mayori

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
thanks for the info.
Found this while exploring the program:

"For international students, admission into the co-op program does not make you eligible for a work term unless and until you also have a valid work permit. "

Does it mean I can't go for Co-op without first getting PGWP?
Probably by work permit they meant co-op work permit but not sure.

mayori

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
How do you think is it possible to get SP for me and visitor visas for my spouse and child at once? Or which method is the best to get visas for all of us? Looks like VO approve such cases occasionally. But don't know detailed process how people get them.

mayori

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Thank you for your quick responses. One of my friend is thinking to apply for college and study 1 full-year program which has considerably lower tuition fee comparing to masters degree. So my questions are:
1. Would he get study visa even though he has bachelor degree, age over 30 and has work experience in home country?
2. In terms of actual studying is it more easier than masters program?
One of the programs we wants to apply https://www.conestogac.on.ca/fulltime/information-technology-infrastructure#PO-AR

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
1. Less likely than Master's but still possible if he can write a good SOP
2. It is a lot easier than Master's. The education in some of these colleges are a joke

Reactions: mayori

mayori

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
1. Less likely than Master's but still possible if he can write a good SOP
2. It is a lot easier than Master's. The education in some of these colleges are a joke
I see. Will he get same CRS points as if he studied for masters? I mean will he get same points as someone who completed masters program?

mayori

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
So my goal is to get admitted for MTIS program with co-op option. In order to be eligible and get work permit - should I have proof of funds for the whole year (3 terms) or just for first one? This is excluding funds to support myself in Canada (10k CAD at this time).
Should I transfer it to canadian bank prior landing in Canada or it would be enough if I show statement from my local bank?

Sorry I just want to understand the whole process.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
It is generally recommended to show proof that you paid for the first semester and have funds for the rest of the year + 10K for cost of living. I don't think it matters too much whether it is in your home country bank account or Canadian bank account

jaimedantas

Star Member
Sep 30, 2018
I see. Will he get same CRS points as if he studied for masters? I mean will he get same points as someone who completed masters program?
Bear in mind that masters give more CRS points than one or multiple bachelors on EE.