+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Disability & Sponsorship

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Friend is on ODSP and he's sponsoring his wife. Now when his application will be accepted he'll b able to add his wife on his odsp and hence his income wil go up. Will he hav to pay back this extra income part as per sponsorship undertaking?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Friend is on ODSP and he's sponsoring his wife. Now when his application will be accepted he'll b able to add his wife on his odsp and hence his income wil go up. Will he hav to pay back this extra income part as per sponsorship undertaking?
I believe the answer is yes (he will have to pay the money back) since ODSP is social assistance.

Note that while there are no income requirements to sponsor a spouse and those on ODSP are entitled to sponsor a spouse, someone on ODSP can still be refused as a sponsor if IRCC believes that spouse will end up on social assistance as well. As part of the application, they will want to demonstrate that his wife plans to work in Canada (and not take social assistance). Ideally she is already working in her home country and can provide proof of her employment and income to show that she plans to do the same once she is in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Someone won't receive more ODSP when they get married. ODSP is an individual thing based on your own disability where as welfare is based on family size. You have to inform ODSP when you get married but you might actually get less money in the end not more depending on your spouse's income. I agree with @scylla that there may be challenges getting sponsored with the spouse on disability.

Reactions: scylla

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
Someone won't receive more ODSP when they get married. ODSP is an individual thing based on your own disability where as welfare is based on family size. You have to inform ODSP when you get married but you might actually get less money in the end not more depending on your spouse's income. I agree with @scylla that there may be challenges getting sponsored with the spouse on disability.
This isn't true. Because I know someone whose ODSP went up (with spouse not working). I just don't know if she had to pay it back or not.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
This isn't true. Because I know someone whose ODSP went up (with spouse not working). I just don't know if she had to pay it back or not.

Maybe they know how to work the system

Noodin

Nov 9, 2018
I have a question.
ODSP has 2 programs
1. income support
2. employment support.
I’m on social Assistance, not ODSP Income support, however I’m under the ODSP employment support program.

Can I still sponsor?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a question.
ODSP has 2 programs
1. income support
2. employment support.
I’m on social Assistance, not ODSP Income support, however I’m under the ODSP employment support program.

Can I still sponsor?
Your posts are very confusing. Are you on maternity leave? You mentioned a young child.