Diplomat visa in one hand, CSQ on the other

Dreamlandvisa

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I have been nominated to QSW and waiting for my visa.
Meanwhile I received a job offer to work for one of the UN agencies based in Montreal as an internationally recruited staff member from overseas.

The government of Canada has no say over whether I can or cannot be awarded this job.

The UN has requested a single diplomatic temporary entry visa for me to enter Canadian territory and once I get there the government will issue me some sort of residence permit that is considered diplomatic.
I need to know if I would still be eligible for PR once I get that permit, given that I have the certificate of selection from the government of Quebec (CSQ)

I don't want to take the risk of going there and ending up with the type of permit that leaves me unentitled to PR status later on.
I don't know if, as an international civil servant already in possession of a certificate of selection, the years I spend employed by the UN there would eventually count towards getting me a PR and then later the citizenship or not.

An answer to that would greatly appreciated.

season

Feb 18, 2013
Dear Friend,

That's good that you got visa from UN. UN always give single diplomatic temporary entry visa but it does not linked with PR. PR is linked with immigration.

As per my understanding there are also two points here
1) In some countries UN diplomats are not allowed fro Permanent residence
2) In case of Canada you have job offer letter you can also apply fro Express Entry if you have LIMA also

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dreamlandvisa said:
Dear All,

I have been nominated to QSW and waiting for my visa.
Meanwhile I received a job offer to work for one of the UN agencies based in Montreal as an internationally recruited staff member from overseas.

The government of Canada has no say over whether I can or cannot be awarded this job.

The UN has requested a single diplomatic temporary entry visa for me to enter Canadian territory and once I get there the government will issue me some sort of residence permit that is considered diplomatic.
I need to know if I would still be eligible for PR once I get that permit, given that I have the certificate of selection from the government of Quebec (CSQ)

I don't want to take the risk of going there and ending up with the type of permit that leaves me unentitled to PR status later on.
I don't know if, as an international civil servant already in possession of a certificate of selection, the years I spend employed by the UN there would eventually count towards getting me a PR and then later the citizenship or not.

An answer to that would greatly appreciated.
1. It is unlikely that Canada would accept you on diplomatic status as a PR.