+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dilemma. Advice needed regarding PR application and status.

losttsinelas

Mar 22, 2018
I just received a job offer of a lifetime which entails me relocating overseas for a minimum of one year, contract is good for two years. At the same time, I received my ITA and currently completing the requirements for submission. I was wondering if it's possible to proceed with both without compromising either.

My thoughts are, if I do proceed with the PR application and get approved, won't my overseas employment be an issue? Would it be possible to just land in Canada and spend a few days first then leave and return to work? I'm not sure if that option is possible or legal without risking my future status in Canada. If it is, how long can I be outside Canada before my status becomes invalid?

Thanks in advance.

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Yes you can surely take up the new job offer while you're going through with the pr process. It won't be a problem. But be sure to inform ircc about the change in your job, location and address once you make the move.

Yeah you will have to complete your landing in Canada before your visa expires. You can spend as little as 1 day there and fly out on the same day as well. You can provide a friend's or relatives' local address to receive your pr card. To maintain your pr status you'll have to stay in Canada for 2 yrs within the first 5 yrs.

Reactions: losttsinelas

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I just received a job offer of a lifetime which entails me relocating overseas for a minimum of one year, contract is good for two years. At the same time, I received my ITA and currently completing the requirements for submission. I was wondering if it's possible to proceed with both without compromising either.

My thoughts are, if I do proceed with the PR application and get approved, won't my overseas employment be an issue? Would it be possible to just land in Canada and spend a few days first then leave and return to work? I'm not sure if that option is possible or legal without risking my future status in Canada. If it is, how long can I be outside Canada before my status becomes invalid?

Thanks in advance.
You can do both. Take your job, and relocate and inform IRCC of the same. When your application is approved, land in Canada, become a PR. You can even head back after a few hours of stay. To maintain your PR status you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.

So technically you can live outside Canada for 3 years and then come to Canada for the remaining 2 and still be a PR.

Reactions: losttsinelas

losttsinelas

Mar 22, 2018
Thanks for the reply @legalfalcon and @prpurohit . So in the even that I decide to spend my vacations in Canada after gaining PR status (and working outside), the duration of my stay counts in the RO? Any similar stays in the future, as long as it's within the 5-year period, cumulatively factors in the count for RO?

prpurohit

Mar 12, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
4th June, 2018
Med's Done....
15th june
Passport Req..
27th September
Thanks for the reply @legalfalcon and @prpurohit . So in the even that I decide to spend my vacations in Canada after gaining PR status (and working outside), the duration of my stay counts in the RO? Any similar stays in the future, as long as it's within the 5-year period, cumulatively factors in the count for RO?

That's right. Your stay does not have to be continuous. Cumulatively you need to have stayed for 730 days.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Yes, you have to be in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. This period need not be continuous. As long as you maintain this, your PR status will be valid.

losttsinelas

Mar 22, 2018
Yes, you have to be in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. This period need not be continuous. As long as you maintain this, your PR status will be valid.
Alright. My new concern is since I can leave Canada and work for that duration, and that all I need is a local address where they can send the PR card, I won't be there to receive it when it arrives. I was told I will need this PR card when I return. For that, any regular Canadian visa will do?