+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference in VISA and Entry Stamp

manu12

Oct 27, 2008
Hello

I have a friend who was issued a 3month visa, valid until October 30, 2008 from her home country to come to Canada. When she came to the Toronto airport, the officer marked her passport with a stamp which is valid for 6 months valid until Feb 2009. So can she stay for 6 months now until Feb 2009? Am I correct in assuming that the visa for 3 months refers to the date before which she can enter Canada and the duration of stay is determined by office on the aiport?

Please confirm

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Without seeing the visa, I can't say if the date refered when she had to enter by or if it was supposed to be for the duration but since she has a stamp in her passport now saying 6 months, that's the one that goes. If she wants to stay longer than that, she can apply to extend at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

manu12

Oct 27, 2008
Thank You very much Leon. Maybe I can post some more information about her VISA stamped in the passport tonight. Its a regular Visitor's Visa from what I know

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
Visitor Visa dates signify the date by which the visitor must ENTER the country otherwise the visa is no longer valid. Entry stamp signifies the length of time the visitor can STAY in the country after which they MUST leave the country. Staying past the entry stamp date is the violation.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Entry visa from home country could be even for 1 Year. But at the port of entry the stamp might be given for 6 months. So that is the stamp you will be allowed to stay until for 6 months but its open for extension which you will have to send it for extension.

yasirmajid

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hiya,

If there is not entry stamp (which I believe IO might have missed somehow), but a visa entry for a year, can we stay in Canada until the visa is expire? I am just wondering do we need to inform CIC on this, as visitors are normally asked to stay for 6 months despite having multiple entry visa!

Please suggest

KayCee2

Star Member
Jul 10, 2008
hmmmm, that's strange that you don't have an entry stamp date, unless you are in some non-visitor class... Better safe than sorry: if I were you, I won't stay past 6 months so as not to cause problems later on... Better still, I would leave and return, if it's a multiple entry visa...

Cheers!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I read sometime on their website that if you didn't get a stamp, you are to assume that you are allowed to stay for 6 months. I do not have time to look for the link for this right now.

ghiaskhan

"Visa" is an endorsement made in a passport that allows the bearer to enter the country issuing it. This is nomally processed by a Canadian High Commission/Embassy in a host country. Now a days it is a printed sticker bearing information of passport holder number of entries allowed etc.

When you arrive in Canada, the immigration officer will decide whether you can be admitted to Canada and, if he is satisfied that you intend to stay only temporarily, will decide how long you are allowed to stay.

Unless otherwise specified, you are authorized to stay up to six months. You must leave Canada by that date or else, at least three weeks before that date, apply to prolong your status.

The immigration officer affixes a stamp to indicate the date you entered canada,also the time limit you are allowed to stay in Canada

ghiaskhan

Leon said:
I read sometime on their website that if you didn't get a stamp, you are to assume that you are allowed to stay for 6 months. I do not have time to look for the link for this right now.
Whose website ? Willyou kindly let us have the website so that we can read it too.Every foreigner after landing cannot leave the immigration desk until his/her passport is dully stamped by the immigration officer. Which is done after an immigration is satisfied that the passanger(Visitor) intends to return to his /her home country after this visit.

A passport holder (with no exemption) who has no stamp in his/her passport will be considered as an illegal enterant if checked by any security agency during his/her stay.
if you didn't get a stamp, you are to assume that you are allowed to stay for 6 months.
sounds a bit flawed

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ghiaskhan said:
Unless otherwise specified, you are authorized to stay up to six months.
Obviously you had already found this yourself so why don't you give the link to it?

ghiaskhan

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-3-7-eng.pdf

Ottawa, June 3, 2008 MEMORANDUM D2-3-7

Stamping of Passports

68. When authorizing “temporary resident” entry to a foreign national, the border services officer shall stamp
the person's passport or travel document. In the case of a temporary resident visa holder, the stamp should be placed, wherever possible, on the page opposite the visa.

69. As a matter of current practice, passports of Canadians and permanent residents are not stamped. However, if requested, border services officers may stamp passports of Canadians and permanent residents.

Passport Stamping Exceptions

U.S. citizens

70. While it is not a requirement, border services officers are encouraged
to stamp the passports of U.S. citizens. Stamping of passports and travel documents is a best practice and should be done whenever possible.

Cruise ship passengers

71. In situations where foreign nationals exempt from the requirement for a temporary resident visa are disembarking for a port of call visit and they have been authorized to enter Canada and are immediately returning to the same cruise ship, local management will determine whether border services officers will or will not stamp passports.

72. Passports or travel documents of foreign nationals who require a temporary resident visa must be examined
and stamped at the first port of entry where entry is authorized. Visa-exempt foreign nationals other than U.S. citizens who are disembarking the cruise ship, are not returning to the vessel and have been authorized to enter Canada must have their passport or travel document stamped.

yasirmajid

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Thanks a lot guys for your response. I found the response on CIC website today and would liek to share.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5551E.PDF

If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident
status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

Thanks again and appreciated.

Best Regards
Yasir Majid