+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

difference between temporary foreign worker and post- graduate open work permit?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Yes. A PGWP is awarded (by application, of course) to those who have completed the requirements for a post-graduate (master's, phd) degree from a recognized Canadian institution. It's awarded only once (for a 3-year period) and cannot be renewed. It's like a regular work permit to the status -- the holder is still a temporary resident.

cvd222

Nov 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Request
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Done....
Apr 28, 2012
Passport Req..
April 11, 2013
yes, a TWP often requires LMO. PGWP does not.

hooky player

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-2011
Doc's Request.
no
Nomination.....
10-2011
AOR Received.
03-2012
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
dunno, but ppr from detroit
Med's Request
03-2012
Med's Done....
04-2012
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2012, received on June 27th, 2012
Empirical-Scientist said:
Yes. A PGWP is awarded (by application, of course) to those who have completed the requirements for a post-graduate (master's, phd) degree from a recognized Canadian institution. It's awarded only once (for a 3-year period) and cannot be renewed. It's like a regular work permit to the status -- the holder is still a temporary resident.
+1, but depends on ur study program length, it can be given for only 1 year or 2 years long as well.

harmeet1986

Jun 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your replies. I am studying Project Management, a post-graduate course in Toronto.The duration of the course is 8 months and i think i will be getting 8 months work permit only :(...Will i be eligible to apply for Manitoba PNP after doing job for 6 months???

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
harmeet1986 said:
Thank you so much for your replies. I am studying Project Management, a post-graduate course in Toronto.The duration of the course is 8 months and i think i will be getting 8 months work permit only :(...Will i be eligible to apply for Manitoba PNP after doing job for 6 months???
The maximum is 8 months in your case, as stated here.

Regarding the PNP, you'll have only two months left to reside in Canada if you apply right after the sixth month of work, according to MPNP guidelines. You could still apply for a regular work permit to extend your stay, or for a extended visitor stay, which won't allow you to work. Alternatively, you can start your PNP application and ask the province to issue you a work permit as soon as they nominate you.

harmeet1986

Jun 17, 2012
If i appy for MPNP after 6 months of in Manitoba, wont it automatically allow me to stay in Canada???? If not, wat are the options to stay dere

vekmak

Jan 18, 2013
[quote author=Empirical-Scientist]
The maximum is 8 months in your case, as stated here.

Regarding the PNP, you'll have only two months left to reside in Canada if you apply right after the sixth month of work, according to MPNP guidelines. You could still apply for a regular work permit to extend your stay, or for a extended visitor stay, which won't allow you to work. Alternatively, you can start your PNP application and ask the province to issue you a work permit as soon as they nominate you.
[/quote]

But I can work fulltime in Manitoba even before PGWP isued - offcampus work permit length equal to study permit (program length + 90 days in general) and valid while PGWP aplication in process. This expirience are not valid for student stream, but will I be eligeble for Manitoba TFW stream in this case? 6 month in full time job can be reached (theoretically) about 4-5 months before PGWP end. Well enough time for nomination process (TFW are priority stream)