+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between spousal and permanent status

James W

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Hi everyone! I recently completed a family class application to sponsor my wife. My wife and i thought to apply for the spousal visa because we weren't sure if she would like living in Canada for many years. Also applying for permanent status is more expensive around $1000. My wife has not sent the application out yet. She is reconsidering to apply for a permanent visa. Obviously we would have to pay the difference owed for the permanent. If we do decide to choose permanent, can I pay the difference online? Online there is a choice between spousal and permanent. I guess I would have to purchase another spousal to make up the difference.
What do you think?

Thank for your input!

James

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hi everyone! I recently completed a family class application to sponsor my wife. My wife and i thought to apply for the spousal visa because we weren't sure if she would like living in Canada for many years. Also applying for permanent status is more expensive around $1000. My wife has not sent the application out yet. She is reconsidering to apply for a permanent visa. Obviously we would have to pay the difference owed for the permanent. If we do decide to choose permanent, can I pay the difference online? Online there is a choice between spousal and permanent. I guess I would have to purchase another spousal to make up the difference.
What do you think?

Thank for your input!

James
I really don't understand your question. Basically, it depends on your status, if you are a Citizen or a PR, then you sponsor your wife in a family class application means that you sponsor your wife to be a Permanent Residence of Canada, which you need to pay up whatever the CIC requested you to pay. If you are not a Citizen or a PR, then you cannot sponsor her to be a permanent residence, only a temporary VISA you can apply for your wife. There aren't spousal VISA or permanent VISA that you can choose from. So, which status do you have?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Unlike US, Canada do not have a spousal visa.

She can either come as a visitor and stay with you (and not work) and try to extend her visitor status every 6 months.

Or you can apply to sponsor her as a permanent resident.