+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Didnt meet RO for permanent resident card.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Aasking for someone.

Days short of 730 on renewal

Drove into canada through the Us border because they received a letter to come for an interview within 6 months.

They went for the interview wete stressed out only to be told they didnt meet requirements

And they will need to see a manager

Whats to be expected. ? Its under h and c

Also who is a manager thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Aasking for someone.

Days short of 730 on renewal

Drove into canada through the Us border because they received a letter to come for an interview within 6 months.

They went for the interview wete stressed out only to be told they didnt meet requirements

And they will need to see a manager

Whats to be expected. ? Its under h and c

Also who is a manager thanks.
If they were issued a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility due to a breach of the PR Residency Obligation, the "manager" is probably a "Minister's Delegate" who will interview the PR and determine if the Report is valid in law (that is, determine if the evidence indicates the person did not meet the 730 day obligation), and if it is valid in law, then assess the H&C reasons to determine if the PR should be allowed to retain PR status.

There are multiple topics here in which this process is discussed in detail.

If they have not been issued a 44(1) Report as yet, the interview with a manager might be a more or less formal Residency Determination examination. It is not certain that is what is happening, but if no formal report has been issued this seems the more likely situation. If this is what is happening, the processing agent or officer will review the PR's case and determine if the PR should be issued a 44(1) Report or not. That is, the interviewer/manager will determine if the PR is in breach of the PR RO, and if so, issue a 44(1) Report, and then the matter would be referred to a Minister's Delegate.

A 44(1) Report is a decision to terminate PR status. It has no effect unless and until a Departure Order is issued. Once a Departure Order is issued, the 44(1) Report constitutes a decision terminating PR status and triggers the time period within which the PR must make an appeal. The PR continues to have most (but not all) of the rights of a PR pending any appeal, but ultimately must get the 44(1) Report set aside in order to keep PR status.

H&C cases are tricky. Most are very tricky if not outright very difficult. The PR RO is considered to be very generous and sufficient to accommodate nearly all contingencies in life which can interfere with the immigrant's move to settle in Canada. That said, IRCC must and will consider all proffered reasons for why the PR did not return to live in Canada sooner. A lawyer's assistance can make a big difference in many of these cases.

Reactions: Tall ganesh

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Out of curiosity, what are the rights of particular significance a PR looses during the appeal period?
I suppose "rights" is a bit of a loaded term. Some might use the label "privileges" or "entitlements" or such. That said, many refer to various statutory rights as "rights" without misunderstanding these are different from Charter Rights or even fundamental rights. Note for example, as I have observed elsewhere, a Canadian citizen has a Charter Right to enter Canada, whereas a PR only has a statutory right or "privilege" to enter Canada (the right to enter in, remain in, or leave Canada is perhaps the only Charter Right which distinguishes the rights of citizens from PRs and non-citizens).

In any event, some examples: a PR under a Removal Order will not be issued a regular status card (PR card; noting however that IRCC will typically issue a temporary, one-year PR card for a PR who is in Canada pending an appeal); a PR under a Removal Order is not eligible to sponsor a family member's PR visa application; and a PR under a Removal Order is not eligible for citizenship (regardless of the merits in the appeal and regardless otherwise meeting the eligibility requirements for citizenship; this has mostly affected PRs who left Canada while their citizenship application was pending and due to delays are abroad long enough to end up getting reported for a PR RO breach) .

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
If they were issued a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility due to a breach of the PR Residency Obligation, the "manager" is probably a "Minister's Delegate" who will interview the PR and determine if the Report is valid in law (that is, determine if the evidence indicates the person did not meet the 730 day obligation), and if it is valid in law, then assess the H&C reasons to determine if the PR should be allowed to retain PR status.

There are multiple topics here in which this process is discussed in detail.

If they have not been issued a 44(1) Report as yet, the interview with a manager might be a more or less formal Residency Determination examination. It is not certain that is what is happening, but if no formal report has been issued this seems the more likely situation. If this is what is happening, the processing agent or officer will review the PR's case and determine if the PR should be issued a 44(1) Report or not. That is, the interviewer/manager will determine if the PR is in breach of the PR RO, and if so, issue a 44(1) Report, and then the matter would be referred to a Minister's Delegate.

A 44(1) Report is a decision to terminate PR status. It has no effect unless and until a Departure Order is issued. Once a Departure Order is issued, the 44(1) Report constitutes a decision terminating PR status and triggers the time period within which the PR must make an appeal. The PR continues to have most (but not all) of the rights of a PR pending any appeal, but ultimately must get the 44(1) Report set aside in order to keep PR status.

H&C cases are tricky. Most are very tricky if not outright very difficult. The PR RO is considered to be very generous and sufficient to accommodate nearly all contingencies in life which can interfere with the immigrant's move to settle in Canada. That said, IRCC must and will consider all proffered reasons for why the PR did not return to live in Canada sooner. A lawyer's assistance can make a big difference in many of these cases.

Thanks for answering all in details.

I see a 44)1
Just a 41.)b

Is it too late to withdraw the application,

No report was mentioned just directed to the manager and was told not to miss that appointment.

In this case definitely in breach. So would a 44)1 be issued for sure?

Do you know the time line for an appeal?

it can they easily get a visitors visa or reapply for PR again?

Any advise on what to do? I dont know if it is too soon to involve a lawyer
Thanks.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Is it too late to withdraw the application,

No report was mentioned just directed to the manager and was told not to miss that appointment.

In this case definitely in breach. So would a 44)1 be issued for sure?

it can they easily get a visitors visa or reapply for PR again?

It is not too late to request withdrawing the application. Pursuant to somewhat recently (last couple years or so) adopted policy and practice, however, IRCC may or may NOT allow the application to be withdrawn. If the PR is already subject to investigation or proceedings for inadmissibility (including inadmissibility for a breach of the PR RO), it appears IRCC does not ordinarily terminate processing the PR card application, but rather follows through on the investigation or proceedings for inadmissibility.

In other words: a request can be made to withdraw, it may or may not be allowed, but that is not likely to avoid negative actions for inadmissibility.

Definitely in breach . . .
"In this case definitely in breach. So would a 44)1 be issued for sure?"

Historically there has been only sporadic reporting from PRs in a similar situation. I doubt anyone can forecast how this sort of case will go without being well acquainted with the full gamut of relevant information, and even then it would largely be a guess; that extent of information cannot be reasonably exchanged in a forum like this, and is more suitable for a lawyer's office.

In other words, I do not know. (Certain factual settings may be predictable, such as an application made by a PR who has been in Canada less than a month, who went abroad again after making the application and has not been in Canada much at all while the application has been pending, and the H&C reasons for being abroad are weak . . . yeah, easy to forecast that PR will be issued a 44(1) Report. But otherwise, how it will go is not predictable.)

Scores of PRs in Secondary Review have reported their experience, but the vast majority of them have been in one of the following groups:
-- met the PR RO at the time of applying but IRCC/CIC saw reason to impose additional scrutiny; most of these are PRs who had been in Canada less than half the time, but met the PR RO
-- were cutting-it-very-close or were short some at the time they made the PR card application, but by the time IRCC/CIC actually took action on the application, they were either in compliance with the PR RO or very close to being in compliance
-- were PRs who were abroad extensively or continuously while the PR card application was in process

Their experience does not illuminate much about how it will go in this scenario.

It may be interesting, however, that there are two other forum participants who are at a later stage of this scenario. Three anecdotal reports do not illuminate a real lot, but it is interesting how few of these scenarios we have seen reported over the years, and now suddenly three are being actively discussed at the same time . . . to early to discern if this signals a more aggressive policy to enforce the PR RO on PRs who have returned to Canada, if they apply for a PR card before they are back in compliance.

If you are asking how long does it take for an appeal to reach a decision, that is currently hard to know as well. Until recently, it was usually taking over a year, and well over a year for many, and over two years for many. But there have been recent reports of much shorter timelines.

This is important because (1) it allows the PR to stay in Canada in the meantime, and (2) for those who do stay in Canada, the additional time in Canada can substantially help make the H&C case (it will not change the calculation of days, but it can be a positive factor in the H&C assessment).

[If they] can they easily get a visitors visa or reapply for PR again?

This depends entirely on their specific qualifications.

Losing PR status will have NO effect on this . . . although, it can be a positive factor relative to a visitor's visa if IRCC discerns their history supports the proposition they will not come and over-stay the visitor's visa.

I am NOT competent or qualified to give personal advice. Moreover, again, this is a situation which requires in-depth acquaintance with a lot of facts in order to assess the case even in general terms.

The strength of H&C factors looms large and I believe these can influence the "manager" to not issue a 44(1) Report, although I am not sure of that . . . but in any event, H&C reasons can influence the Minister's Delegate to NOT issue a Removal Order, and indeed the Minister's Delegate MUST assess H&C reasons before issuing a Removal Order.

The strength of H&C reasons is also a huge factor in assessing prospects on appeal.

The biggest factor of course is how much short of being in compliance the PR is . . . at the time of applying for the PR card, AND perhaps more importantly, at the time of the interview.

To my view, the sooner a lawyer is engaged the better. A lawyer may help prepare the PR for the interview.

In any event, there is no harm in following through, being as prepared as possible for the interview, to show what days have been in Canada, to show what H&C reasons there are, to show extent of current settlement in Canada, to show plans to stay and be permanently settled in Canada.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
It is not too late to request withdrawing the application. Pursuant to somewhat recently (last couple years or so) adopted policy and practice, however, IRCC may or may NOT allow the application to be withdrawn. If the PR is already subject to investigation or proceedings for inadmissibility (including inadmissibility for a breach of the PR RO), it appears IRCC does not ordinarily terminate processing the PR card application, but rather follows through on the investigation or proceedings for inadmissibility.

In other words: a request can be made to withdraw, it may or may not be allowed, but that is not likely to avoid negative actions for inadmissibility.

Definitely in breach . . .
"In this case definitely in breach. So would a 44)1 be issued for sure?"

Historically there has been only sporadic reporting from PRs in a similar situation. I doubt anyone can forecast how this sort of case will go without being well acquainted with the full gamut of relevant information, and even then it would largely be a guess; that extent of information cannot be reasonably exchanged in a forum like this, and is more suitable for a lawyer's office.

In other words, I do not know. (Certain factual settings may be predictable, such as an application made by a PR who has been in Canada less than a month, who went abroad again after making the application and has not been in Canada much at all while the application has been pending, and the H&C reasons for being abroad are weak . . . yeah, easy to forecast that PR will be issued a 44(1) Report. But otherwise, how it will go is not predictable.)

Scores of PRs in Secondary Review have reported their experience, but the vast majority of them have been in one of the following groups:
-- met the PR RO at the time of applying but IRCC/CIC saw reason to impose additional scrutiny; most of these are PRs who had been in Canada less than half the time, but met the PR RO
-- were cutting-it-very-close or were short some at the time they made the PR card application, but by the time IRCC/CIC actually took action on the application, they were either in compliance with the PR RO or very close to being in compliance
-- were PRs who were abroad extensively or continuously while the PR card application was in process

Their experience does not illuminate much about how it will go in this scenario.

It may be interesting, however, that there are two other forum participants who are at a later stage of this scenario. Three anecdotal reports do not illuminate a real lot, but it is interesting how few of these scenarios we have seen reported over the years, and now suddenly three are being actively discussed at the same time . . . to early to discern if this signals a more aggressive policy to enforce the PR RO on PRs who have returned to Canada, if they apply for a PR card before they are back in compliance.

If you are asking how long does it take for an appeal to reach a decision, that is currently hard to know as well. Until recently, it was usually taking over a year, and well over a year for many, and over two years for many. But there have been recent reports of much shorter timelines.

This is important because (1) it allows the PR to stay in Canada in the meantime, and (2) for those who do stay in Canada, the additional time in Canada can substantially help make the H&C case (it will not change the calculation of days, but it can be a positive factor in the H&C assessment).

[If they] can they easily get a visitors visa or reapply for PR again?

This depends entirely on their specific qualifications.

Losing PR status will have NO effect on this . . . although, it can be a positive factor relative to a visitor's visa if IRCC discerns their history supports the proposition they will not come and over-stay the visitor's visa.

I am NOT competent or qualified to give personal advice. Moreover, again, this is a situation which requires in-depth acquaintance with a lot of facts in order to assess the case even in general terms.

The strength of H&C factors looms large and I believe these can influence the "manager" to not issue a 44(1) Report, although I am not sure of that . . . but in any event, H&C reasons can influence the Minister's Delegate to NOT issue a Removal Order, and indeed the Minister's Delegate MUST assess H&C reasons before issuing a Removal Order.

The strength of H&C reasons is also a huge factor in assessing prospects on appeal.

The biggest factor of course is how much short of being in compliance the PR is . . . at the time of applying for the PR card, AND perhaps more importantly, at the time of the interview.

To my view, the sooner a lawyer is engaged the better. A lawyer may help prepare the PR for the interview.

In any event, there is no harm in following through, being as prepared as possible for the interview, to show what days have been in Canada, to show what H&C reasons there are, to show extent of current settlement in Canada, to show plans to stay and be permanently settled in Canada.

Thank you so much for taking your time to explain

They are so close to me and i just want to be prepared. We have been unhappy since the interview last week and they were told to be contacted in a few days to see the “manager”

I am digging for steps what to expect and be prepared for what is coming.

Your explanations have made me feel much better and them too when they know.

Well, things have been tidious and tough (h and c ) reasons thats why they were not able to meet their cut off but they were around 700 days short of 40-50 days from RO.

Family is precious where am from and they were trying to balance and not leaving extremely sick parents behind among other serious reasons

I would like to follow through with the others to know how theirs are going as well would send a private message to that effect.

“THIS”

<Losing PR status will have NO effect on this . . . although, it can be a positive factor relative to a visitor's visa if IRCC discerns their history supports the proposition they will not come and over-stay the visitor's visa.>

IS GOOD TO KNOW”

I need to add the officer already issued a 44)1 i saw the report and confirmed.

So i guess the next step would be skipping the issuance of the report, seeing the manager and straight to (h n c)

If you dont mind its a lot to take in at once so ill be reading and breaking down slowly and be back with questions if you dont mind but thanks for the general message am very grateful. I really appreciate !

Thanks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I need to add the officer already issued a 44)1 i saw the report and confirmed.
The upcoming interview, then, is most likely with the Minister's Delegate. The Minister Delegate first determines whether the PR was in breach of the PR Residency Obligation on the date indicated in the 44(1) Report. If the PR was in breach on that date (that is a critical date to know), the Report is determined to be valid in law. If the report is valid in law (and you indicate it is; that is, that they are definitely in breach), the Minister's Delegate should then assess all H&C factors presented by the PR. This is the PR's best chance to save PR status. But how much of a chance there is depends on many factors. Again, how much the PR has been in Canada is a huge factor (more is better even if it is short of meeting the PR RO).

If the Minister's Delegate decides to issue the Departure or Removal Order, the PR has 30 days to appeal. The PR can remain in Canada pending the appeal.

To be clear, I have no idea what their chances are overall. Any PR in breach of the PR RO is at risk for losing PR status. But the extent of that risk can vary a great deal from one case to another.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
The upcoming interview, then, is most likely with the Minister's Delegate. The Minister Delegate first determines whether the PR was in breach of the PR Residency Obligation on the date indicated in the 44(1) Report. If the PR was in breach on that date (that is a critical date to know), the Report is determined to be valid in law. If the report is valid in law (and you indicate it is; that is, that they are definitely in breach), the Minister's Delegate should then assess all H&C factors presented by the PR. This is the PR's best chance to save PR status. But how much of a chance there is depends on many factors. Again, how much the PR has been in Canada is a huge factor (more is better even if it is short of meeting the PR RO).

If the Minister's Delegate decides to issue the Departure or Removal Order, the PR has 30 days to appeal. The PR can remain in Canada pending the appeal.

To be clear, I have no idea what their chances are overall. Any PR in breach of the PR RO is at risk for losing PR status. But the extent of that risk can vary a great deal from one case to another.

QUOTE="dpenabill, post: 6496263, member: 43134"]

To be clear, I have no idea what their chances are overall. Any PR in breach of the PR RO is at risk for losing PR status. But the extent of that risk can vary a great deal from one case to another.[/QUOTE]

Yes we are aware and preparing for the worst if need be. They are well established from where they are from and dont mind even having a visitors visa just to visit us and the kids.

I dont know if we can apply for visiting visa or super visa or the grandparent class after this.

They are selling the house too. All paid. Its Canadas loss. Better to Take their money elsewhere . Good use for the money else where. I dont even think they want to waste money on lawyers. They are so hurt and dont want to waste anymore money in a place that might not renew it

At the end of the day canada can never offer so much

Someone said to never have renewed and just have been coming through the us border with copr for life even with a card expired for up to 10 years dont know how true this is. If it was should have listened to them

if they realised the days were short, early enough before the cards expired they would have just made the 730 RO

At the end of the day. Its not the end of the world....

But them lil grand babies will surely miss not seeing them,

worst case scenario.

Wheres grandma wheres grandma anytime they go out

Lol

Im Sad though Very very Sad

Thank you so much

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not trying to be rude but they are responsible for making sure they obey their own permanent residency obligations and 2 years out of 5 is pretty lenient. Not sure why they feel targeted or hurt when they didn't follow the rules. There is no mention of their responsibility in the situation in your post. I do think the situation is unfortunate and I don't think your post mentioned whether their parents had passed already but if not, they will continue to struggle to maintain their RO so it may make more sense to return to their home country.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I'm not trying to be rude but they are responsible for making sure they obey their own permanent residency obligations and 2 years out of 5 is pretty lenient. Not sure why they feel targeted or hurt when they didn't follow the rules. There is no mention of their responsibility in the situation in your post. I do think the situation is unfortunate and I don't think your post mentioned whether their parents had passed already but if not, they will continue to struggle to maintain their RO so it may make more sense to return to their home country.
Responsibility how? They did their best and are short of 30 days at best. There is no one else to take care of their parents and we just dont leave parents alone to die where am from. The parents are also too old to be flown to canada where we can all be settled. As per the doctors report. Two years out of five is lenient enough trust me!!! They just didnt meet the extra 30 days cause one of the parents died while they were here and thats why those extra 30 days were cut short if not they would have met it. There is nothing we can do about it. Don't make a bad situation worse. I can be sad in peace , let me , im not begging for special consideration neither are they. We are going to be fine with or without the PR. Its not the end of the world. Im the one thats going to miss having my parents around not you....

P.s if you have to put you are not trying to be rude it always means the exact opposite

Thanks for your advice

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They are selling the house too. All paid. Its Canadas loss. Better to Take their money elsewhere . Good use for the money else where. I dont even think they want to waste money on lawyers. They are so hurt and dont want to waste anymore money in a place that might not renew it

At the end of the day canada can never offer so much

Someone said to never have renewed and just have been coming through the us border with copr for life even with a card expired for up to 10 years dont know how true this is. If it was should have listened to them

if they realised the days were short, early enough before the cards expired they would have just made the 730 RO
Canuck78 wasn't being rude, they were being honest. Canada didn't do anything to your parents. At the end of the day, it was entirely their responsibility to meet the requirements of being PRs. I'm not sure why you are resigned to the situation already when they may very well succeed in retaining their PR status based on H&C grounds.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Canuck78 wasn't being rude, they were being honest. Canada didn't do anything to your parents. At the end of the day, it was entirely their responsibility to meet the requirements of being PRs. I'm not sure why you are resigned to the situation already when they may very well succeed in retaining their PR status based on H&C grounds.
I dont know how it seemed like canada did anything to my parents . Canada didnt do anything at all. My only reference is getting their money out the system

Well the interview was just really stressful thats why. I hope so. Thank you

Last edited: