+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did not meet RO and have only son of 15 years

Bruhaspati

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Hello Friends,

I am out of RO status though PR card is valid for 1 more year.

My initial purpose of applying PR was of course immigration, considering my sister is Canadian Citizen and well settled there.

As with few other folks, moving was not easy for me, now I am planning to take chance at PoE and see if I am not reported.

Neverthless, all I am looking for is at least my only son is allowed to maintain his PR till he applies for graduation in Canadian University in 3 years.

What are my options from kids perspective? Would my son be able to claim restoring PR later, since he will be then adult of 18 years at time of graduation?

Does anything related to PR changes with respect to children once they turn adult (18 years)?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Your son has a decent chance of retaining PR given that he is still a minor.

As for you, how much time have you spent in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Wanted to point out that currently minor are usually approved if they were removed as a minor without consent. We have seen on this forum that this now seems to be a plan people are using to secure domestic tuition for their children without spending any significant time in Canada so the approval process could change. The original purpose of the law was to allow children to return to Canada as adults after they had established significant ties to Canada but were forced to move out of Canada as children for family reasons. Given that you haven't been paying into the Canadian tax base it is hard to guarantee that your child will get subsidized tuition 3 years from now.

If your family returns and are reported your whole family will lose PR.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Bruhaspati

Star Member
May 1, 2014

Thanks Kessio, for your response.

We do not meet RO, we (Me, Wife and Son) have spent only 5 months in Canada, our kid is in 8th grade now and is academically going good with several accolades (not sure if that count).

Whats the basis of decent chance towards retaining the PR?

Bruhaspati

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Wanted to point out that currently minor are usually approved if they were removed as a minor without consent. We have seen on this forum that this now seems to be a plan people are using to secure domestic tuition for their children without spending any significant time in Canada so the approval process could change. The original purpose of the law was to allow children to return to Canada as adults after they had established significant ties to Canada but were forced to move out of Canada as children for family reasons. Given that you haven't been paying into the Canadian tax base it is hard to guarantee that your child will get subsidized tuition 3 years from now.

If your family returns and are reported your whole family will lose PR.
Thanks canuck78 for your response.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

We do not meet RO, we (Me, Wife and Son) have spent only 5 months in Canada, our kid is in 8th grade now and is academically going good with several accolades (not sure if that count).

Ok, so even with one year remaining on your PR card expiry date (assuming this is your first card), it is impossible to meet RO. So you will have to take your chances at a PoE. No one can tell you what your chances are - too many variables. But I believe the sooner your go, the better your odds. The closer it is to your expiry date, the less your odds.

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........

To be clear, you will be allowed to enter Canada either way. You are currently a legal permanent resident and CBSA will not turn you away or deny you entry. They will likely ask you if you've met your residency obligation and they may ask you additional questions. Given your history/details, you stand a chance of being flagged and reported for not meeting your RO, but they will let you enter and if you enter Canada right now and do NOT leave for the next 2 years, you may go unnoticed and then could renew your PR. Even that is not a guarantee, but there is some anecdotal evidence on here of others who have re-entered Canada while not fulfilling the RO but who were able to eventually meet the requirements by staying in Canada until it was satisfied. To reiterate, If you enter Canada in the next year you need to stay for 2 years without leaving at all, and you may still lose your PR status, but that is your best bet. No guarantees.