+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did I mess my Pre-Medical up?

concept

May 5, 2017
Out of ill-founded enthusiasm, I went for my pre-medical yesterday which I believe will blow back pretty badly. This is supposed to be my future as a tech entrepreneur in Vancouver - I am so disappointed and really looking for you all's help.

I was noted as having issues in 4 areas (all which could have been avoided if I was careful) and added to that the doctor - who didn't seem to me much aware of gender/sexuality issues - thought I was hiding things.

1. I am male that has an intersex condition. I was medically labelled as 'Gender Dysphoria' - same diagnosis as of Transgender people and I do take female hormones. However I consider myself as 'Gender Fluid Man' and plan to live as a feminine man. The doctor didn't understand that and wrote it as TS (derogatory)/Gender Identity Disorder and possibly also felt I was hiding this 'psychological disorder'. They could consider that I want sex change etc., which I don't plan to ever get and put me into 'excess burden' category)
2. I have mild psoriasis - again fully treatable with 2-3 weeks of medication - but he called it a big issue.
3. He said my dental health isn't good that I need to floss/visit a dentist for preventive checks.
4. High BP (120-97)- this was 'white coat syndrome' as the one they took 5 mins later was normal. But again, he was not happy about point 1, so made this a big issue as well.

Now, what are the options in front of me?
A. Is there any chance I will pass medical given 1-4? Where and how should I check my status?
B. Is there a way to fix this by may be raising this issue to the authorities so that they are more aware?
C. As 2,3, and 4 are all fixable, can I do another medical - say 4-5 months down the line - after ITA etc.,?

I know this is complicated, but please let me know if you have answers to A, B, or C to keep the discussion focused.

Thanks in Advance!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
2-4 are nothing to worry about at all for medical admissibility to Canada.

I'm just not sure about what the view on #1 will be, if it will pose an excessive demand. Just a hunch, but I don't think so either.

That doctor sounds like a **** though.

concept

May 5, 2017
Appreciate your understanding and informed advice!!

Yeah, #1 is so unique that I don't expect answers here. That said, what can I do to follow-up and make sure that I know what is going on and make a fair representation for my case?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Follow up with the clinic to see if they will provide the results and medical grading.

concept

May 5, 2017
That's interesting to know - about the medical grades. What are those?

I am bit hesitant to call though as I don't know if I am gonna be helping my case by calling that doctor. Think about my options here.
1. Call doctor, which may be risky yet viable option.
2. Get legal re-course on options from a knowledgeable attorney?
3. Get a fresh medical exam by a different doctor and use that result. I don't know if this is legally allowed though, since I already have a form with UMI number.

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
concept said:
That's interesting to know - about the medical grades. What are those?

I am bit hesitant to call though as I don't know if I am gonna be helping my case by calling that doctor. Think about my options here.
3. Get a fresh medical exam by a different doctor and use that result. I don't know if this is legally allowed though, since I already have a form with UMI number.
There are 2 grade only: A means normal, B means they have to put notes on ur medic profile for cic to check.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
concept said:
1. I am male that has an intersex condition. I was medically labelled as 'Gender Dysphoria' - same diagnosis as of Transgender people and I do take female hormones. However I consider myself as 'Gender Fluid Man' and plan to live as a feminine man. The doctor didn't understand that and wrote it as TS (derogatory)/Gender Identity Disorder and possibly also felt I was hiding this 'psychological disorder'. They could consider that I want sex change etc., which I don't plan to ever get and put me into 'excess burden' category)
This might be blunt but I believe being straight-forward is the best approach, so please don't take offence.

Simply said, a male taking female hormones is a strong indicator of wanting to change gender and therefore potentially wanting to undergo sex reassignment surgery in the future. When evaluating cases, IRCC looks at the most likely scenario and it is more likely that a male taking female hormones wishes to actually change their gender to female vs. keep their gender identity as male but physically present as female.

concept said:
Yeah, #1 is so unique that I don't expect answers here. That said, what can I do to follow-up and make sure that I know what is going on and make a fair representation for my case?
At this point, you can't really do anything. You need to wait and see if you receive a fairness letter once you've applied. The letter will give you the opportunity to state your case, present reports from your doctor(s), etc.

concept said:
1. Calling the doctor won't do anything. The Panel Physician performs the medical and reports to IRCC; they don't make any decisions regarding your eligibility. Regardless of what the PP said during the exam or his lack of understanding of gender issues, he must report that you choose to take female hormones, which does indicate a gender condition.

2. At this point, it is a bit early to seek legal assistance.

3. IRCC would still be able to access the first medical and a different Panel Physician would still need to report about the hormones/gender condition.

tormentor

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, all is not bleak. There are some things working for you. For one, even if they report that you are under HRT, it does not necessarily imply that you would want to undergo surgery. Implying that would violate some basic principles of gender identification in Canada, and with bill C-16 almost through the door, this would almost constitute a rights violation. For all practical purposes, most of the codes have been updated to reflect this.

In any case, even if they ascertain that you would want to go undergo surgery, the cost incurred in surgery is below (almost half) the five year threshold for medical inadmissibility.

So, yes there might be a bit more scrutiny - possible longer time to get medicals passed. But nothing to get freaked out about and you can calm your nerves by staying positive.

Also to add, there hasn't been a single known case where a trans person was denied under medical inadmissability. I don't think the case would be any different at all for intersex people.

concept

May 5, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
This might be blunt but I believe being straight-forward is the best approach, so please don't take offence.

Simply said, a male taking female hormones is a strong indicator of wanting to change gender and therefore potentially wanting to undergo sex reassignment surgery in the future. When evaluating cases, IRCC looks at the most likely scenario and it is more likely that a male taking female hormones wishes to actually change their gender to female vs. keep their gender identity as male but physically present as female.

At this point, you can't really do anything. You need to wait and see if you receive a fairness letter once you've applied. The letter will give you the opportunity to state your case, present reports from your doctor(s), etc.

1. Calling the doctor won't do anything. The Panel Physician performs the medical and reports to IRCC; they don't make any decisions regarding your eligibility. Regardless of what the PP said during the exam or his lack of understanding of gender issues, he must report that you choose to take female hormones, which does indicate a gender condition.

2. At this point, it is a bit early to seek legal assistance.

3. IRCC would still be able to access the first medical and a different Panel Physician would still need to report about the hormones/gender condition.
Thanks for the candid answer! Knowing about the next steps comforts me very much.

I will just wait for Immigration to come back once I apply. And off-course, keep the group posted.

concept

May 5, 2017
tormentor said:
Okay, all is not bleak. There are some things working for you. For one, even if they report that you are under HRT, it does not necessarily imply that you would want to undergo surgery. Implying that would violate some basic principles of gender identification in Canada, and with bill C-16 almost through the door, this would almost constitute a rights violation. For all practical purposes, most of the codes have been updated to reflect this.

In any case, even if they ascertain that you would want to go undergo surgery, the cost incurred in surgery is below (almost half) the five year threshold for medical inadmissibility.

So, yes there might be a bit more scrutiny - possible longer time to get medicals passed. But nothing to get freaked out about and you can calm your nerves by staying positive.

Also to add, there hasn't been a single known case where a trans person was denied under medical inadmissability. I don't think the case would be any different at all for intersex people.
Appreciate the answer very much! Its a good point - the surgery costs.

I will make sure I work over the next few months to fix issues 2-4 to esnure that the health-care burden is just going to be about my gender identity/intersex condition.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
concept said:
Appreciate the answer very much! Its a good point - the surgery costs.

I will make sure I work over the next few months to fix issues 2-4 to esnure that the health-care burden is just going to be about my gender identity/intersex condition.
2-4 aren't issues. Psoriasis is common and cheap to treat, dental care is not covered in Canda except in very limited circumstances and your BP is not high enough to be a real concern.

axolotl

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
Are there known cases how trans-people are handled?

concept

May 5, 2017
UPDATE 1

Hello beautiful people, as promsised here is an update. I recieved this letter from Migration Health Branch.

"This refers to your application for permanent residence / temporary residence in Canada. Further medical information is required before a decision can be reached. Details have been sent to your e-Medical file regarding the medical information required. Please return to see the panel physician who performed your immigration medical examination or to another e-Medical enabled panel physician. A list of all panel physicians can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx. The panel physician will arrange for the additional medical tests to be carried out and will forward the results directly to this office.

Please print a copy of this letter for your records.

You have 90 days from the date of this letter to comply with this request."

I am planning to go for a follow-up medical within the next 30-40 days. Hope its not a serious health condiiton.
I wish I can find out whats in my eMedical file, but guess thats not possible.

Also, consdiering to apply for an ITA before I go to the follow-up so that they atleast know who I am when they process my application. Any suggestions on applying for ITA now vs later will be helpful.

Thanks again for the support!