+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did anyone request to postpone Oathdate on the test day or later due to vacation

gtareddy

Star Member
Jun 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,
Just wandering if anyone requested Citizenship Officer to postpone the Oath date on his/her Citizenship test day? Also pls guide me the procedure to follow if applicant cannot make up for the Oath date. I have vacation plan which can't be modified and I doubt my Oath will be done by that time. Pls advise.

gtareddy

Star Member
Jun 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gtareddy said:
Hi Everyone,
Just wandering if anyone requested Citizenship Officer to postpone the Oath date on his/her Citizenship test day? Also pls guide me the procedure to follow if applicant cannot make up for the Oath date. I have vacation plan which can't be modified and I doubt my Oath will be done by that time. Pls advise.
Guys, Any views?

NonaArso

Dec 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I've seen many people ask to change there Oath dates and they ends up getting QR!!

Hope somebody will give you more info.

Good luck.. :)

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gtareddy said:
Hi Everyone,
I think you need a valid reason to cancel test or oath appointment. You cant do it just because you re going to Cuba to enjoy the sun.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gtareddy said:
Hi Everyone,
Hi Gta,

There is no harm in postponing test or oath dates. You have all rights to postpone them but make sure you inform CIC when you have plans, so that they do not schedule you during those times. Once you receive a date for test/oath, it will be ethical and professional to attend it and not schedule your holidays around that time... so do your due diligence and you will be fine,

gtareddy

Star Member
Jun 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
Hi Gta,

There is no harm in postponing test or oath dates. You have all rights to postpone them but make sure you inform CIC when you have plans, so that they do not schedule you during those times. Once you receive a date for test/oath, it will be ethical and professional to attend it and not schedule your holidays around that time... so do your due diligence and you will be fine,
Hi sept15,
That was my question... Is there anyway we can inform CIC before we receive test/oath invite letter? I had vacation planned in march and I expect test invite in feb. Can we inform CIC officer during our interview after test?

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gtareddy said:
Hi sept15,
That was my question... Is there anyway we can inform CIC before we receive test/oath invite letter? I had vacation planned in march and I expect test invite in feb. Can we inform CIC officer during our interview after test?
of course you can... if you have not received any invite yet, call 1-888-242-2100 and let them know of your plans and if you know your local office, fax them a letter as well. I sent them a fax and a letter as well when i was away for 4 months on parental leave... i was not expecting any test/oath at that time though.... its your call, you can inform them and LEAVE or wait until Feb end, potentially write the test and then leave and after the test you can let the officer know of your plans... and he/she might even be able to tell you the oath date if she knows...

you should not cancel any life events because of this process... but at the same time, do not plan anything if you have received any notices/schedules.

gtareddy

Star Member
Jun 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
of course you can... if you have not received any invite yet, call 1-888-242-2100 and let them know of your plans and if you know your local office, fax them a letter as well. I sent them a fax and a letter as well when i was away for 4 months on parental leave... i was not expecting any test/oath at that time though.... its your call, you can inform them and LEAVE or wait until Feb end, potentially write the test and then leave and after the test you can let the officer know of your plans... and he/she might even be able to tell you the oath date if she knows...

you should not cancel any life events because of this process... but at the same time, do not plan anything if you have received any notices/schedules.
Thank you very much Sept15. Final question... did you receive any RQ after you let CIC know that you will be away for 4 months?

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gtareddy said:
Thank you very much Sept15. Final question... did you receive any RQ after you let CIC know that you will be away for 4 months?
I have not had the test yet.. I do not think I will be RQed either... 4 months of parental leave, why would I stay here? I do have a permanent fulltime job though...lol
My wife took 6 months vacation in 2011 and 6 months vacation in 2014, already applied for citizenship and has not been RQed 'yet'... that was her maternity leave as well...

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you postpone either test or oath your chance of getting RQ marginally increases so dont do it unless you really have to.

chinachan

Star Member
Oct 31, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also add my info too.

I called CIC several weeks ago.

The agent kindly told me that if there is any travel plan during processing even before or after exam and oath, just contact them in advance.
She told me that two months before your travel plan is good enough.

I believe that calling at least twice to CIC is good just in case.

I also have travel plan in May and am just invited to take exam in the end of this month.
I hope that I will be invited for oath in three months otherwise it will conflict with my travel, so I am going to let them know about my availability during my interview.

I think letting them know in advance is much different than rescheduling test or oath.

A girl in my country's forum posted that she also informed her travel plan after her exam so CIC is able to avoid those dates to schedule her oath.