+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Detailed] Soft Landing by road via Windsor Tunnel - Frustrating Experience

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Proof of ownership and RIV form are manageable but could US insurance document(need to talk to Geico to check if they provide coverage in Canada) be accepted or the first step is to get Canadian insurance and then followed by registration? Just thinking aloud if this too can be done in the first few weeks or is there any pre-requisite to get insurance too.
As I recall, here's what I did

1. Called Liberty Mutual and got them to send me a letter that stated my insurance history in the US (7+ years)
2. Called a Canadian insurance company and spoke to their agent. He asked for the insurance history
3. Bought insurance from the Canadian company. They gave me a good rate because my US history was clear
4. Used that proof of Canadian insurance to get the car registered in Canada
5. Once I had the Canadian license plate, I logged onto the Massachusetts RMV and cancelled my US registration
6. Called up Liberty Mutual and cancelled the US policy. They verified that the US plates were cancelled and then cancelled the contract.

The whole process was very simple and straightforward and only took me a day to get it all done.

RitzzG

Jun 24, 2019
As I recall, here's what I did

1. Called Liberty Mutual and got them to send me a letter that stated my insurance history in the US (7+ years)
2. Called a Canadian insurance company and spoke to their agent. He asked for the insurance history
3. Bought insurance from the Canadian company. They gave me a good rate because my US history was clear
4. Used that proof of Canadian insurance to get the car registered in Canada
5. Once I had the Canadian license plate, I logged onto the Massachusetts RMV and cancelled my US registration
6. Called up Liberty Mutual and cancelled the US policy. They verified that the US plates were cancelled and then cancelled the contract.

The whole process was very simple and straightforward and only took me a day to get it all done.
Yes, that seems straightforward and easy to follow. In fact, I called Geico today to get information on my coverage, and got to know that my policy covers Canada as well. This relives me of worrying about insurance for now, though I may explore cheaper options there going forward.

Does one has to possess a Canadian license (at least G1) to have registration done, or not required at all and a US license should me sufficient?

Also, an unrelated que. - Would it be easier to cross border if one possesses a signed CoPR as it would be easier to justify the motive to traveling to Canada during this time at the border?

Appreciate your massive help!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, that seems straightforward and easy to follow. In fact, I called Geico today to get information on my coverage, and got to know that my policy covers Canada as well. This relives me of worrying about insurance for now, though I may explore cheaper options there going forward.

Does one has to possess a Canadian license (at least G1) to have registration done, or not required at all and a US license should me sufficient?

Also, an unrelated que. - Would it be easier to cross border if one possesses a signed CoPR as it would be easier to justify the motive to traveling to Canada during this time at the border?

Appreciate your massive help!
1. RE: Geico and most US insurance companies - they will cover your car BUT usually only as long as it's registered in the USA. So if you're visiting and will eventually drive back to the US, that's fine. Once you register the car in Canada, you will usually need Canadian insurance. Make sure you have double and triple checked this before you go to register your car.

2. I had my Canadian license when I registered my car. Not sure if a US license works.

3.A signed CoPR shows that you are already a PR, and thus have the right to enter. An unsigned CoPR dated prior to March 18th, 2020 will also be allowed to enter.

However, if you have an unsigned CoPR (i.e you have not yet landed) dated after March 18th, 2020, you should read this - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html#ex

I believe you will still be allowed to land, but you may need to state that your travel is non-optional and non-discretionary. Examples would be an expiring CoPR, or you coming to join your family, or start a job, etc. Other people may have more information on this point.

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Yes. You will be Paying off the loan then before moving?
we are in the same situation - My wife and I are planning to do a soft landing in my car which is not paid in full yet and would be doing that before moving permanently to Canada. So still can I add to the Goods to move list which I would submit during my soft landing? Please let me know. Thanks.

@Snehathomas Could you please share your experience?

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hi,
I recently completed my soft landing and gave the address for the PR cards to the officer but I would like to double-check on the address before they mail out the cards to the address. How can I do that? Is there any specific location in the EE portal to look for the address or do I need to call the CIC directly on phone?

Thank you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
we are in the same situation - My wife and I are planning to do a soft landing in my car which is not paid in full yet and would be doing that before moving permanently to Canada. So still can I add to the Goods to move list which I would submit during my soft landing? Please let me know. Thanks.

@Snehathomas Could you please share your experience?
Yes, you can add the car to the list. It's not an issue if you later move without the car - they won't question that. It's better to have more things listed and later decide what is coming with you rather than the other way around.