+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent?

Callumjee

Jun 6, 2019
Hi,

I have a quick question. I am filling out IMM 0008 (Generic Application form for Canada) for a common-law sponsorship. I am the principal applicant and my common law partner is the sponsor. I am a little confused if my common law partner would be listed on my application as a dependent or not. It says "you must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

I'm pretty sure that dependents meaning children, but I am unsure.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

I have a quick question. I am filling out IMM 0008 (Generic Application form for Canada) for a common-law sponsorship. I am the principal applicant and my common law partner is the sponsor. I am a little confused if my common law partner would be listed on my application as a dependent or not. It says "you must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

I'm pretty sure that dependents meaning children, but I am unsure.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Assuming your spouse is a PR or citizen (and hint: to sponsor you, he/she has to be), you don't include him/her on this form. Just like the instructions say.

No, 'dependent' is not limited to meaning just children.

But the form is also used for types of applications where the spouse is not a citizen or PR, i.e. where the spouse is not a sponsor. (And children who are already PRs/citizens would be left off this form as well).

Reactions: Callumjee

Callumjee

Jun 6, 2019
Assuming your spouse is a PR or citizen (and hint: to sponsor you, he/she has to be), you don't include him/her on this form. Just like the instructions say.

No, 'dependent' is not limited to meaning just children.

But the form is also used for types of applications where the spouse is not a citizen or PR, i.e. where the spouse is not a sponsor. (And children who are already PRs/citizens would be left off this form as well).
Great, thank you for your insight.