+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Not Travelling with Primary applicant was asked for Medicals?

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Hello All,
In our application we chose the dependant child is not travelling with Primary applicant but we received a medical form for the dependant child along with Primary applicant. is it common?
Also - dependant child's passport is expired and when we go to Medicals, shall we show that as a proof of identity (we are in India). please let me know.
thanks

singhno

Jan 12, 2022
Hello All,
In our application we chose the dependant child is not travelling with Primary applicant but we received a medical form for the dependant child along with Primary applicant. is it common?
Also - dependant child's passport is expired and when we go to Medicals, shall we show that as a proof of identity (we are in India). please let me know.
thanks
Yes, child's medicals would be required.

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for your reply - But im just curious why do they need medicals for a child who is not accompanied and in future when we sponsor the child again we may have to do Medicals again! little strange.... any insights why?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply - But im just curious why do they need medicals for a child who is not accompanied and in future when we sponsor the child again we may have to do Medicals again! little strange.... any insights why?
It is a bit odd. The background is that Canada will deny PR to applicants whose dependents will be denied - because medical issues are a valid reason to deny a PR application. (Eg if your spouse is inadmissible/barred, you'll be denied too).

This makes sense for economic applicants (non-family sponsorship), where "cost of care" (or burden on healthcare system or whatever the official term is) is a valid reason to deny an app. Therefore it's logical to apply it to non-accompanying spouses and dependents - otherwise it would be easy to game the system by putting anyone with health issues as non-accompanying.

It doesn't make as much sense for family sponsorship - where there are no 'economic' health criteria, just public health risks. Since nowadays those public health risks are mostly considered treatable/manageable (eg tuberculosis), I'd argue it doesn't make sense. (Arguably there are potentially some health issues - violent psychoses? I don't know - that would be untreatable and require this. But I don't know what they are)

[I don't know for certain but possible the medical examination of all PR applicants, accompanying or not, is mandated by law (for the historical reasons referred to ) - and if so, government will not spend the time to change it unless it's a problem for government]

Anyway, we can write and argue about it, but it's a long-standing requirement, and for your purposes - you need to get it done. If it still reqlly bugs you, write your MP.

santor

Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for detailed response. We are going to get it done for sure - I was just curious to know the background of this request.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for detailed response. We are going to get it done for sure - I was just curious to know the background of this request.
It definitely does come from a much higher level of attention (historically) to public health and disease esp - this all dates to era when travelling with vaccine passports was routine (and not new and political like now).

And of course, parts were carefully tailored to (attempt to) reduce any ability to game the system.

But it certainly is possible some parts are a bit less logical than they might have seemed originally.