+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent children not immigrating.

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
I have a 21 year old and an almost 18 year old who will be staying in the United States.
Neither one is married or has a common-law spouse.
They have no interest in immigrating to Canada at any point. I rarely hear from them.
I know they will not participate in medical exams or other any of my other Canadian immigration requirements.

1. How do I handle this w/the Canadian government?
2. How will it affect my application?
3. Will it delay my application and if so .... for how long?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. I am just getting started in this process.
It is very confusing. Even on the forums I don't know the acronyms that are being used.
I need an index for Forum jargon. Ha!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a 21 year old and an almost 18 year old who will be staying in the United States.
They have no interest in immigrating to Canada at any point. I rarely hear from them.
I know they will not participate in medical exams or other any of my other Canadian immigration requirements.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. I am just getting started in this process.
It is very confusing. Even on the forums I don't know the acronyms that are being used.
Canada doesn’t like to have children not be included in the applications. Yes expect it to delay your application because IRCC will want you to attempt to get your children to do the medicals even if they are non-accompanying so if they change their mind they have the option to come to Canada.

Reactions: Americanteacher

bwana

Star Member
Feb 11, 2021

Even if your children wont immigrate with you, they need to pass their medicals. It is a must but if you can convince them, you need to explain to IRCC what efforts you are making to convince them. Or you should write a letter explaining that you understand that your children will never been examined and therfore will never immigrate to Canada in the future

Reactions: Americanteacher

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I believe in some cases, IRCC has accepted letters from dependents who are adults that they understand the consequences (i.e. means they could never be sponsored) and choose not to submit information beyond the letter or take the medicals.

It's not ideal though. For the child who is 21, perhaps less of an issue (in less than one year will not be eligible anyway). For the child close to 18, would be better to convince the child to take the medicals - only takes a few hours and hey, if he/she wants to immigrate to Canada later, it would be possible.

Reactions: Underhill

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
Even if your children wont immigrate with you, they need to pass their medicals. It is a must but if you can convince them, you need to explain to IRCC what efforts you are making to convince them. Or you should write a letter explaining that you understand that your children will never been examined and therfore will never immigrate to Canada in the future
Yes, I was thinking of writing a letter. I do understand I won't be able to sponsor them.
But they are considered adults in the United States.
So unfortunately I do not have control over their completing the medicals.
Thanks for your reply. :0)

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
I believe in some cases, IRCC has accepted letters from dependents who are adults that they understand the consequences (i.e. means they could never be sponsored) and choose not to submit information beyond the letter or take the medicals.

It's not ideal though. For the child who is 21, perhaps less of an issue (in less than one year will not be eligible anyway). For the child close to 18, would be better to convince the child to take the medicals - only takes a few hours and hey, if he/she wants to immigrate to Canada later, it would be possible.
I live in a very rural area. So getting a medical exam would involve a long drive and an overnight
stay in a hotel. They are considered adults, so I can't make them do it. I am hoping that the Canadian
government will understand. I do realize that they won't be able to immigrate later, but they have lives
in the U.S. and have no interest in moving.

Thanks you so much for your response. :0)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I live in a very rural area. So getting a medical exam would involve a long drive and an overnight
stay in a hotel. They are considered adults, so I can't make them do it. I am hoping that the Canadian
government will understand. I do realize that they won't be able to immigrate later, but they have lives
in the U.S. and have no interest in moving)
Note that them being examined in no way commits them to moving, and being examined now as unaccompanied does not even start the process for them.

But if they are adults, it is up to them.

If they are considered adults, a letter from each stating that they have no interest and do not wish to be examined and understand the consequences should be enough. (I say should because I have no direct experience, based on reports from here). I don't have a sample letter and would guess that you don't need a lawyer (for content or other) but having signature witnessed would not hurt.

Usual internet caveats about advice etc.

Americanteacher

Sep 13, 2021
Note that them being examined in no way commits them to moving, and being examined now as unaccompanied does not even start the process for them.

But if they are adults, it is up to them.

If they are considered adults, a letter from each stating that they have no interest and do not wish to be examined and understand the consequences should be enough. (I say should because I have no direct experience, based on reports from here). I don't have a sample letter and would guess that you don't need a lawyer (for content or other) but having signature witnessed would not hurt.

Usual internet caveats about advice etc.
I understand. Thanks for the advice. I am praying that I can get them to sign a letter.
They are busy in their own worlds and I don't have see or hear from them often.
They are too busy for their mama. :0(

Reactions: armoured