+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Child Sponsorship

grakeshjain

Jan 17, 2019
Hello all,

I'm planning to sponsor my child who is born outside Canada (in India) and both parents are holding valid PR status.

As a sponsor (myself - Living in Canada currently) do we need to put my wife as a co-sponsor? If I put herself as co-sponsor will there be any problem as currently she is in India with the child.

grakeshjain

Jan 17, 2019
Any other thoughts or reasons why spouse cannot be co-sponsor? It's just for delivery she is in India but she lives in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any other thoughts or reasons why spouse cannot be co-sponsor? It's just for delivery she is in India but she lives in Canada
You must be Canada to sponsor your child. If she wants to return to Canada she can sponsor your child. There are no need for co-sponsors. Is there a reason you think/want to have a co-sponsor?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you don't mention wife as co-signer in IMM1344 then you will need to do some extra work i.e Fill IMM5604 and get it notarized.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Zero point in having a co-signer for dependent sponsorship, as there is no minimum income requirement.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mother is in India and there is a possibility that she might not return to Canada. If mother is not a co-signer in IMM1344, then she will need to provide her consent through IMM5604.
IMM5604 is for situations where the other parent is not immigrating to Canada. The mother has already immigrated.

Houston2016

Mar 20, 2018
Dear All,

I am on Permanent Resident status in Canada living with my wife and 2 daughters here. My wife, my first daughter and myself are Permanent Residents of Canada. My second daughter was born in USA and she is now on Visitor status in Canada with us.

I am filling up the Sponsorship form for her where I have a question - "[IMM 5481] form requires the sponsor net personal income for the 12-month period preceding the date of the application."

1. What should I write here as my salary. The Annual salary I earned before tax deduction or after tax deduction?

Second question is 5. A) Current Undertaking: - Number of persons included in Box # 3 of the Generic Application Form of Canada (IMM0008), under Application details.

2. What should I write there as a number?

3. Also want to know that I wanted to sponsor my parents who are in India, so shall I mention that they are dependent on me financially? As I would be declaring it at the time I will sponsor them.

In relation to my question # 3, I want to explain my situation. I got my PR visa stamping in 2015 and I landed on PR status first on March 5th 2016 on my flight from India to USA via Canada and stayed in Canada for about 5 days and went to USA as I was working there on H1B status since January 2015.

I earned in USA, paid taxes there and I was living there with my wife and 1 daughter until July 5th 2018 and then moved permanently to Canada on July 2018 itself. Please suggest if I will be eligible to sponsor my parents?

I would like to mention that I consulted 2 immigration lawyers in Canada and they say that I am eligible as long as I was a PR holder and was earning whereever in the world and meet the Minimum Income requirements with the family of 6 which I meet.

I also consulted 2 immigration consultancies in Canada and as per them I am not eligible to sponsor my parents as I was earning outside Canada and the income should have been earned within Canada and my Canadian taxes must have been paid for that amount earned and US income will not be of any help.

Please suggest...

grakeshjain

Jan 17, 2019
Thanks for the inputs but I'm still confused regarding point 6

6 . Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent for Minors Immigrating to Canada (IMM 5604)

Are there any applicants under the age of 18 included in this application, who will receive an immigrant Visa?

No

Yes

What do we need to fill with above point? In this case as my new born is under 18, do I need to choose Yes?

Prinicipal Applicant:

If other parent of principal applicant is not listed as co-signer on IMM 1344, provide the following

Completed IMM 5604 ,witnessed by notary public

If my wife is not a co-sponsor, do I need to fill IMM 5604 and signed by notary?