+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Child - Have Approved Visitor Visa - Do I Need to Apply for a SP as well?

RS20201

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Hi @Naturgrl , @canuck78, @wonderbly, @biotechsun

Greetings!
In 3 weeks, I will be travelling to Canada(ON) on a SP, along with my 14 year old daughter on approved visitor visa.
I have read multiple posts on different threads, where two of you have mentioned that a visitor visa for a dependent child will suffice, and two have mentioned that SP will be mandatory.
(https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/dependent-children-education.716240/, https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/international-student-with-dependent-children.739852/)

Some posts also state that the dependent's child visitor visa will be stamped for the same duration as the SP when we reach the immigration border.
Please let me know if I need to make any changes and apply for a SP for my daughter now, or whether it should mandatorily be done once we land in Canada. With the paucity of time, I do not want to make any changes to the visa yet, lest it hampers our impending travel.

Btw, I have also reached out to the prospective school and they have not necessarily asked for any SP yet.

Looking forward to your guidance :)

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi @Naturgrl , @canuck78, @wonderbly, @biotechsun

Greetings!
In 3 weeks, I will be travelling to Canada(ON) on a SP, along with my 14 year old daughter on approved visitor visa.
I have read multiple posts on different threads, where two of you have mentioned that a visitor visa for a dependent child will suffice, and two have mentioned that SP will be mandatory.
(https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/dependent-children-education.716240/, https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/international-student-with-dependent-children.739852/)

Some posts also state that the dependent's child visitor visa will be stamped for the same duration as the SP when we reach the immigration border.
Please let me know if I need to make any changes and apply for a SP for my daughter now, or whether it should mandatorily be done once we land in Canada. With the paucity of time, I do not want to make any changes to the visa yet, lest it hampers our impending travel.

Btw, I have also reached out to the prospective school and they have not necessarily asked for any SP yet.

Looking forward to your guidance :)
IRCC's policy is that children of school going age who are not yet in Canada needs to apply for a study permit prior to entering Canada. Did you apply for your child's TRV together with your SP, and did you specify that she will be accompanying you for the duration of your study? If you did, I am surprised they approved her TRV, cos in my case (and that of many others I know of in the past year), IRCC cancelled visiting visitor application for children older than 5 and asked that we apply for SPs instead.

I know that your daughter can get into Canada with her TRV, but I am not sure if the border officer will then issue her a Visitor's Record, which is what is needed to enable her stay with you for a longer stretch than 6 months. I got that at the border for my toddler (for whom we only applied for a TRV) and the expiry of the VR is tied to the expiry of my SP.

Depending on the province you are going to, the school board might/might not ask you for a SP for her. If you do get a visitor's record, then it should suffice and they won't need a SP then.

RS20201

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
IRCC's policy is that children of school going age who are not yet in Canada needs to apply for a study permit prior to entering Canada. Did you apply for your child's TRV together with your SP, and did you specify that she will be accompanying you for the duration of your study? If you did, I am surprised they approved her TRV, cos in my case (and that of many others I know of in the past year), IRCC cancelled visiting visitor application for children older than 5 and asked that we apply for SPs instead.

I know that your daughter can get into Canada with her TRV, but I am not sure if the border officer will then issue her a Visitor's Record, which is what is needed to enable her stay with you for a longer stretch than 6 months. I got that at the border for my toddler (for whom we only applied for a TRV) and the expiry of the VR is tied to the expiry of my SP.

Depending on the province you are going to, the school board might/might not ask you for a SP for her. If you do get a visitor's record, then it should suffice and they won't need a SP then.
Thanks for the detailed reply @wonderbly. I did apply for my daughter's TRV together with my SP stating that she will accompany me for the duration of my study. Truly blessed that her TRV and my SP were approved together in one shot. We will be in the Ontario province.

I checked with another friend who moved to Alberta a few years ago with kids age >10. The kids got a Visitor's record valid until the duration of the parent's work permit. This VR clearly states that the child is "authorised to study at the pre-school, primary or secondary level as per A30(2)".
Not sure if the rules have changed since then.

Keeping fingers crossed and hoping that the TRV should suffice.