+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student with dependent children

Weyers

Jul 28, 2021
I am applying for a student visa for myself and open work permit for my husband. My children I know may go to school but what do I apply for, for them? They are in secondary school.

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
I am applying for a student visa for myself and open work permit for my husband. My children I know may go to school but what do I apply for, for them? They are in secondary school.
1. You can apply for the children including your husbandHowever, you have to show very strong ties to your home country such as properties, business, etc.

2. Alternatively, you can move with your husband and use the children as ties to your home country, once you both arrive in Canada, you can latter apply for the children.

3. Or you can move alone first , and later come for your husband and children ( in this case your ties to your home country will be very strong )

to my view , I prefer the option 3.
Good luck

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
1. You can apply for the children including your husbandHowever, you have to show very strong ties to your home country such as properties, business, etc.

2. Alternatively, you can move with your husband and use the children as ties to your home country, once you both arrive in Canada, you can latter apply for the children.

3. Or you can move alone first , and later come for your husband and children ( in this case your ties to your home country will be very strong )

to my view , I prefer the option 3.
Good luck
It depends on your profile. If you meet all requirements and you are applying for a solid program (Masters or PhD at a proper University), chances are good that the whole family will be approved. We see more approvals for families if the student applies for a higher level of study.

In my case, I applied with my 4 kids at the same time as I certainly was not willing to leave my kids behind. My husband didn't apply with us but not because he was our home tie. In my SOP I explained that he couldn't apply with us at that time as he was busy travelling for work so he could not get all required docs, and he would put in a separate application once he rounds up his current project and come join us. He applied immediately he was finished with the project and he was also approved.

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
It depends on your profile. If you meet all requirements and you are applying for a solid program (Masters or PhD at a proper University), chances are good that the whole family will be approved. We see more approvals for families if the student applies for a higher level of study.

In my case, I applied with my 4 kids at the same time as I certainly was not willing to leave my kids behind. My husband didn't apply with us but not because he was our home tie. In my SOP I explained that he couldn't apply with us at that time as he was busy travelling for work so he could not get all required docs, and he would put in a separate application once he rounds up his current project and come join us. He applied immediately he was finished with the project and he was also approved.
Thanks to sharing this valuable tips . In my case , i have gotten full funding to study PhD at memorial university (the top university in Newfoundland province) . I have decided to latter apply for my wife and 3 children to join me . Will I have strong application? What would you recommend me to put in my SOP when applying for the family?
Anyway, did your husband applied together with open work permit?

hope to hear from you, thanks

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks to sharing this valuable tips . In my case , i have gotten full funding to study PhD at memorial university (the top university in Newfoundland province) . I have decided to latter apply for my wife and 3 children to join me . Will I have strong application? What would you recommend me to put in my SOP when applying for the family?
Anyway, did your husband applied together with open work permit?

hope to hear from you, thanks
So you applied alone already? Once your application is approved, you can apply for the rest of your family too. You need show personal funds (more than the minimum required, if possible) that will cover your family's living expenses if neither of you receive an income in Canada. if your wife has a formal qualification or work experience, her SOP should explain how her skill sets will be useful in boosting Canada's economy in her own little way. You really don't need to write an SOP but you can write a Spousal Support letter indicating how having your family with you during your studies (especially given the exceptionally difficult time we are in) will help you focus on your studies and succeed in it.

Yes, my husband applied for a Spousal Open Work Permit.

Reactions: kwaame

Rajani3

Star Member
Jul 24, 2019
Category........
STUDY
So you applied alone already? Once your application is approved, you can apply for the rest of your family too. You need show personal funds (more than the minimum required, if possible) that will cover your family's living expenses if neither of you receive an income in Canada. if your wife has a formal qualification or work experience, her SOP should explain how her skill sets will be useful in boosting Canada's economy in her own little way. You really don't need to write an SOP but you can write a Spousal Support letter indicating how having your family with you during your studies (especially given the exceptionally difficult time we are in) will help you focus on your studies and succeed in it.

Even i applied for SP.once i get an approval, will apply for my husband SOWP and two toddlers.finger crossed

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021

Thanks so much . Yes, I have already applied, now waiting for decision. Thanks, I will definitely show personal funds for myself and the above the minimum, I addition to my scholarship and teaching assistant funds I will receive in Canada. My has 8 years working experience as a primary school teacher with Diploma in Education and Degree in Sociology.
Thanks again for the tips about the spousal support letter. I appreciate

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021

Thanks so much . Yes, I have already applied, now waiting for decision. Thanks, I will definitely show personal funds for myself and the above the minimum, I addition to my scholarship and teaching assistant funds I will receive in Canada. My wife has 8 years working experience as a primary school teacher with Diploma in Education and Degree in Sociology.
Thanks again for the tips about the spousal support letter. I appreciate

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For advanced degrees like masters and PhDs it is usually pretty easy to get permits/visas for your whole family.

Memorial is essentially the one big university on the Island so I had to laugh when you referred to it as the best university in the province.

• Haha
Reactions: wonderbly

kwaame

Star Member
Jul 11, 2021
For advanced degrees like masters and PhDs it is usually pretty easy to get permits/visas for your whole family.

Memorial is essentially the one big university on the Island so I had to laugh when you referred to it as the best university in the province.
Lol, yes. Only one university , it does not compete with anyone in the island.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

In the city of the blind, the One-Eyed man is King :D :D

Reactions: kwaame