+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependants obligations

Hoping Smile

Nov 9, 2017
Hello
Me and my wife, as a primary applicant, got PR 2 months back. We were planning to move by coming April considering the climate. But there are many issues between us and she is under some psychiatric treatment as she has now become very abusive verbally and sometimes physically. She wont allow me to go for job when her mood is bad and she dont like me talking to anyone including my parents and close ones and she also threatens me with suicide which are all part of her psychological disorder. This has been going on from past 2years and it is exhausting and a constant emotional torture. Doctors are suggesting me not to move a divorce petition now as it may affect the visa which would be a huge trigger for as she is desperate to settle in Canada. As a social being she is very friendly..energetic.. brilliant and very good at any work given to her.
I know as she is the primary applicant she has to enter Canada first. But if i dont enter Canada and drop the plan to settle there as it would be so risky to live with her there as i might end up in prison as she has this suicide tendency amd extreme mood swings , severe possesivenes, trust issues in her and use to make false alligations, will that affect her PR status? And what if i file a divorce after she settles her PR ? Or is it possible for me to enter Canada after she settling there and live completly separate from her in another city without filing a divorce? Will she be notified or can she know if i enter Canada without me contacting her?
The next thing is if we both enter together and live together with professional psychological and medical support for her and if still the abuse continues and if i return to India or if i move to other part of Canada will it affect the visa status of anyone of us? Or is it mandatory that as i'm dependant should i stay with my wife itself?
And if the family issues never settles when can i file a divorce without affecting the visa status, and can i do it from Canada or should i return to India to file a divorce as we got married from here.
I know it's a lot of questions. But please help me
Thanks in advance

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I will only answer one question in that once your wife as the PA and yourself land in Canada your PR status becomes an individual responsibility to hold and maintain. So whatever happens once you have landed successfully, that is the important part, and have PR status it cannot be affected by what happens afterwards with any relationship. What happens before you have landed though is a different matter so getting the landing completed should be a priority.

Reactions: Hoping Smile

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am guessing that her psychiatric issues were not declared during her medical. Canada has very poor access to mental healthcare and many things like psychologists must be paid out of pocket. You seem to be counting on the Canadian medical system for mental health support. Care usually falls on the families so it is probably best to be in a place where you have family support. If your wife doesn't allow you go to work I'm not sure how you will support yourself?

If you get divorced or live separately soon after you arrive in Canada you may have problems when you renew your PR or apply for citizenship as it will look like a marriage of convenience for the purpose of immigration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoping Smile

Hoping Smile

Nov 9, 2017
Thank you.
But if i dont come to Canada and she settles there will that affect her future there, i mean while renewing PR or for citizenship?
And also if we come together and if i return home due to the abuse how it affects her PR or citizenship and also mine?
I'm just so exhausted and dont know what to do. Sorry

Hoping Smile

Nov 9, 2017
I am guessing that her psychiatric issues were not declared during her medical. Canada has very poor access to mental healthcare and many things like psychologists must be paid out of pocket. You seem to be counting on the Canadian medical system for mental health support. Care usually falls on the families so it is probably best to be in a place where you have family support. If your wife doesn't allow you go to work I'm not sure how you will support yourself?

If you get divorced or live separately soon after you arrive in Canada you may have problems when you renew your PR or apply for citizenship as it will look like a marriage of convenience for the purpose of immigration.
If i somehow stay with her for a period of 6-12months and if i still face the problems and stay away or move divorce what will be the consequences?
OR
If my wife enters first and if i come after a certain period is it still mandatory to be in the same address or house?

Hoping Smile

Nov 9, 2017

I heard from some of my friends that canadian rules are all in favour of women and even if she abuses me and if i complain to police or authorities her side will be justified if she alleges anything on me.. is that true?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.
But if i dont come to Canada and she settles there will that affect her future there, i mean while renewing PR or for citizenship?
And also if we come together and if i return home due to the abuse how it affects her PR or citizenship and also mine?
I'm just so exhausted and dont know what to do. Sorry
No - it won't impact her future if you don't come to Canada or if you come to Canada and then leave.

For you to keep your PR status, you must live in Canada for at least 2 out of every 5 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately I can't suggest what you should do about your marriage and immigration. It sounds like your wife is not healthy enough to move to another country and reestablish herself but that is only my opinion from your posts.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I agree with Canuck78. And usually drastic change like immigrating to a different country will not help for her psychiatric condition. It sounds strange that her doctors suggest her to move when things are getting worst now.