+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Denied ETA is there any way to request further details?

Nov 26, 2016
Hi Everyone,

So I am a Canadian married to a German. We live in Europe at the moment. My husband applied for an ETA and got this notice

Any history of contravening the conditions of admission on a previous stay in Canada

Last time he was in Canada was around 2 years ago and came on a 6 month stay and left before that was up.

Can we enquire to get further details on this? If so, how do we go about this. We feel as though his ex gf who is also Canadian maybe reported him for something and it may be false, thereby preventing him from entrance into Canada.

It cant be that he's just no longer admissable to Canada - I am his spouse, a Canadian and we need to see my family.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

If the eTA refusal has a File Number then you can make a request for more information.... or for the notes created by an officer through this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-atip.asp

Else, you could send a Case Specific Enquiry (CSE) or an email to the relevant visa office requesting them to advise you

Hope this helps

Nov 26, 2016
Hi,

this does not work as the person needs to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada - even if I ask on his behalf. Is there any other work around?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
nikiniki9doors said:
Hi,

this does not work as the person needs to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada - even if I ask on his behalf. Is there any other work around?
You can ask on his behalf as a Canadian citizen. Use the Access to Information Act (not Privacy) and pay $5. Include a signed consent form by him that he is appointing you to receive his case notes.