+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delaying entry after sponsorship approved

lucky_man

May 31, 2018
Dear Canada Visa,

My US fiancee and I will be married in May 2019, and are planning for her to move to Canada about 1.5 to 2 years after that. It looks like a spousal Outland Sponsorship will be the way to go (applying after our marriage). I believe this gets her a PR card, please correct me if I'm wrong.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is, what requirements would exist for her at that point? Does she need to move to Canada within a particular time frame to take up permanent residency, or is it OK if it takes her a while to find a new job up here that would be a suitable replacement for her US job? Once she moves here, would she have to stay Canada for a while, or would she be allowed to go back to the US for visiting family / visiting clients, etc.?

Sincerely,
A Lucky Man

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
When your future wife's application for Permanent Residency is approved she will need to enter Canada within certain number of months (she will be informed about the deadline) and become a permanent resident. After that she can return to US if she wants. As a PR can freely travel of course. However, please keep in mind, that she will need to reside in Canada at least 2 years in 5 year period. You will find very detailed information here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

lucky_man

May 31, 2018
I see, thank you for this advice and the link!

So based on the 2/5 year requirement, she could in principle visit as soon as she received approval to execute her PR status, and then return to her US job so long as she moved to Canada within the next couple of years - am I reading that correctly?

Landagirl

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-09-2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed 19/01/2017
Passport Req..
23/01/2017
VISA ISSUED...
08/02/2017
LANDED..........
02/06/2017
I see, thank you for this advice and the link!

So based on the 2/5 year requirement, she could in principle visit as soon as she received approval to execute her PR status, and then return to her US job so long as she moved to Canada within the next couple of years - am I reading that correctly?
She will need to fill out a goods to follow when she does a soft landing or she may not be able to bring her stuff with her when she actually moves. This would be anything she wants to bring, wether it’s a couch or ornaments or car. I am also pretty sure she doesn’t want to state that she is going back to the states to work or it may raise some flags. Here is a website that helped us figure it all out and clarified some things. It also has CBSA links
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_Accompanying-Canada#What_does_.22land_in_Canada.22_mean.3F

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
She will need to fill out a goods to follow when she does a soft landing or she may not be able to bring her stuff with her when she actually moves. This would be anything she wants to bring, wether it’s a couch or ornaments or car. I am also pretty sure she doesn’t want to state that she is going back to the states to work or it may raise some flags. Here is a website that helped us figure it all out and clarified some things. It also has CBSA links
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_Accompanying-Canada#What_does_.22land_in_Canada.22_mean.3F
Not correct. You only have to do your goods to follow when you 'land as settler'. You do not need one when doing a 'soft landing'.

The 'official word' that 'landing as a settler' is different from an immigration status (i.e. landing to declare PR) is here (see item no 9 about 1/3rd of the way down the 'page'):

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Having said all that, you may come across an ill-informed CBSA officer (we did). Just come armed with the document in the link and as to speak to his supervisor!