+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delaying citizenship grant on purpose

banano

Dec 14, 2023
I recently applied for Canadian citizenship online. The IRCC website states the average processing time is 16 months, but I've now found reports of much faster processing, sometimes in just 2-3 months. This is concerning for me as a German citizen, since Germany might only allow dual citizenship from April 2024 and possibly later (barring a special permit, which I don't expect to get). If my application is processed too quickly, I might have to surrender my EU passport or re-apply for the Canadian one.

What avenues do I have to delay the Canadian citizenship process if it moves faster than expected? Is it possible to request a rescheduled oath appointment for several months later? Any advice would be helpful.

IPULL

May 30, 2023
I recently applied for Canadian citizenship online. The IRCC website states the average processing time is 16 months, but I've now found reports of much faster processing, sometimes in just 2-3 months. This is concerning for me as a German citizen, since Germany might only allow dual citizenship from April 2024 and possibly later (barring a special permit, which I don't expect to get). If my application is processed too quickly, I might have to surrender my EU passport or re-apply for the Canadian one.

What avenues do I have to delay the Canadian citizenship process if it moves faster than expected? Is it possible to request a rescheduled oath appointment for several months later? Any advice would be helpful.
Hi, my application was approved in 4 months. I didn't surrender my German passport, it's still valid for the next 7 years. I'm just going to hang on to it till they change the laws.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
Easy peasy. Just do nothing. When they send you test invite, don't take the test. When they send you oath invite, don't show up for oath. Then your application will be on hold if not eventually considered abandoned. Get back to them when Germany passes the new law. It's probably gonna be a nightmare dealing with IRCC for anything out of the ordinary such as this though.

banano

Dec 14, 2023
Hi, my application was approved in 4 months. I didn't surrender my German passport, it's still valid for the next 7 years. I'm just going to hang on to it till they change the laws.
Right. You've technically lost your German citizenship then (§ 25 StAG), and you're hoping to fly under the radar for now. That's likely to work and I'm considering doing the same, but since I'm in no rush to get my Canadian passport, I'd like to know if there's a clean solution.

Easy peasy. Just do nothing. When they send you test invite, don't take the test. When they send you oath invite, don't show up for oath. Then your application will be on hold if not eventually considered abandoned.
My understanding is that they will indeed consider it abandoned at some point, at which point you'll have to apply. Easy peasy indeed, but not cheap (each application is $630 right now). I'd like to know how to toe that fine line between "on hold" and "abandoned" :)

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Right. You've technically lost your German citizenship then (§ 25 StAG), and you're hoping to fly under the radar for now. That's likely to work and I'm considering doing the same, but since I'm in no rush to get my Canadian passport, I'd like to know if there's a clean solution.
I was hoping for a "clean" solution too but then my mom told me they will most likely change the law by 2024. I decided to wait it out.

My understanding is that they will indeed consider it abandoned at some point, at which point you'll have to apply. Easy peasy indeed, but not cheap (each application is $630 right now). I'd like to know how to toe that fine line between "on hold" and "abandoned" :)