+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delayed security check

F_M

Jun 6, 2020
Hello
I applied for citizenship on May 7, 2019 and did the test on Nov 29. The officer told me that I still did not pass the security check. I contacted IRCC on April 1st and was told that the security check was still not done, and that they will contact me as soon as it is done.
Now more than one year passed since the beginning of my my application processing, and I still didn’t hear back from them regarding my security check or oath ceremony.
P.S. I know that they cancelled all ceremonies due to COVID-19 but I don’t want to be stuck with the security check part when everything starts going back to normal.
Any idea whether this is normal or what can I do to get things moving.
Thanks

Reactions: Dr kbknaidu

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
I have a friend who stuck like you but finally he got it done this January, he has traveled to too many European countries past 5 years, hence it was very tough time for CIC ( may be me and him dont know why security checks took so long as he already sent police clearance certificate from Europe as he stayed more than 6 months in Switzerland) anyways it is not abnormal he finished his whole process in 17 months but ended with happy tears, so you are good as per my knowledge but if you still concern apply for GCSM notes you will get it in less than 30 days and lot of people says requesting GCSM notes makes the application move faster some times, so be happy and stay safe

Wichen12

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Background checks can take between 6 month and 5 years depend to evry one situation you just keep waiting and see and no one can interfere with the process thiers is someone in Montreal took him 5 years to finish his background and security checks good luck

omerhaha

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
Background checks can take between 6 month and 5 years depend to evry one situation you just keep waiting and see and no one can interfere with the process thiers is someone in Montreal took him 5 years to finish his background and security checks good luck
Very frustrating, I someone whose background checks took only 3 month , so the minimum is not 6 months as you said

Wichen12

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
What takes times in the citizenship application is background check and security checks

Wichen12

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
And nothing for garented you can wait for 5 years and you dont get aproved its Deland case by case

sujan_2020

Feb 13, 2020
Hello
I applied for citizenship on May 7, 2019 and did the test on Nov 29. The officer told me that I still did not pass the security check. I contacted IRCC on April 1st and was told that the security check was still not done, and that they will contact me as soon as it is done.
Now more than one year passed since the beginning of my my application processing, and I still didn’t hear back from them regarding my security check or oath ceremony.
P.S. I know that they cancelled all ceremonies due to COVID-19 but I don’t want to be stuck with the security check part when everything starts going back to normal.
Any idea whether this is normal or what can I do to get things moving.
Thanks
Sorry to hear that..I am in same boat..I applied for citizenship in 2018 march .I have done my citizenship test in jan 2019.
And was invited for oath cermony on 12 feb 2019. After reaching oath ceremony before 5 min it was about to start. Supervisor called me on side and told that my background security clearance did not received by them.so I can't take oath and will be rescheduled..since feb 2019 I am waiting ..waiting waiting..called to office the only answer I will get is ...back ground chexk is taking time..if they need they will contact me..even order the case file..it just says on hold..I am here in canada since 2003. Got PR in 2012.
Its frustrating..but in each case its diffrent...I know some ppl who got contacted by immgration after a year and asked some documents..and got citizenship..
Hope for best..planning to hire a lawyer after dec

Jfk20101

Oct 8, 2013
Sorry to hear that..I am in same boat..I applied for citizenship in 2018 march .I have done my citizenship test in jan 2019.
And was invited for oath cermony on 12 feb 2019. After reaching oath ceremony before 5 min it was about to start. Supervisor called me on side and told that my background security clearance did not received by them.so I can't take oath and will be rescheduled..since feb 2019 I am waiting ..waiting waiting..called to office the only answer I will get is ...back ground chexk is taking time..if they need they will contact me..even order the case file..it just says on hold..I am here in canada since 2003. Got PR in 2012.
Its frustrating..but in each case its diffrent...I know some ppl who got contacted by immgration after a year and asked some documents..and got citizenship..
Hope for best..planning to hire a lawyer after dec
Did you travel extensively and missed dates or was it somthing else this is brutal that 5 mins before ceremony your file was pulled from oath

sujan_2020

Feb 13, 2020
Did you travel extensively and missed dates or was it somthing else this is brutal that 5 mins before ceremony your file was pulled from oath
No I travelled three times since my PR..and I mentioned exit dates and entry dates .even from the case file it's clearly mentioned about my travel dates...imagin I am here in canada since 2003. Student ,PR and I citizenship delayed due to back ground clearance..
Yes its brutal and feel like may be it's wrong choice I made to stay here...frustrated..

Jfk20101

Oct 8, 2013
No I travelled three times since my PR..and I mentioned exit dates and entry dates .even from the case file it's clearly mentioned about my travel dates...imagin I am here in canada since 2003. Student ,PR and I citizenship delayed due to back ground clearance..
Yes its brutal and feel like may be it's wrong choice I made to stay here...frustrated..
Like tell me how did you got the oath and then you were told to go back home like how is this possible this seems like an insult that you were right in front of your finish line and tgen told to go back home. What did they tell you at the oath like someone told you to go bavk home ?

sujan_2020

Feb 13, 2020
Like tell me how did you got the oath and then you were told to go back home like how is this possible this seems like an insult that you were right in front of your finish line and tgen told to go back home. What did they tell you at the oath like someone told you to go bavk home ?
As I told before oath ceremony was about to start .supervisor came and told me my background security clearance was not received. So I can't take oath......they will inform me when it will be rescheduled.thats all my friend.

Last edited:

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
As I told before oath ceremony was about to start .supervisor came and told me my background security clearance was not received. So I can't take oath......they will inform me when it will be rescheduled.thats all my friend.
Have you been in touch with your local MP. If so, has the MP office been able to help? Your case definitely sounds like something they should help in.