+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delay Spouse Open Work Permit more that 2 months

Andrewh994

Jan 9, 2020
@pky2019 Hello. Have you received any result yet? My wife also applied me for OPW on oct 7th but till now no update. It says my application is being proces

pky2019

Dec 13, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-11-2019
Doc's Request.
29-11-2019
AOR Received.
05-11-2019
@pky2019 Hello. Have you received any result yet? My wife also applied me for OPW on oct 7th but till now no update. It says my application is being proces
Nope. We are still waiting. My plan is to send an inquiry via webform this Friday.

Abhigna1912

Apr 2, 2019
Nope. We are still waiting. My plan is to send an inquiry via webform this Friday.
Hello, I am planning to apply for SOWP this month within Canada. Can you please tell me if we have submit any upfront medicals. Some people suggested that medicals are not required for Inland applications.

Yuvi__

Dec 30, 2019
Me and my wife both are international student but i left my study year ago, now on 10october my wife applied spouse open work permit through lawyer
But didn't get any update
Is there any october applicant???
How much time more it will take??

pky2019

Dec 13, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-11-2019
Doc's Request.
29-11-2019
AOR Received.
05-11-2019

pky2019

Dec 13, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-11-2019
Doc's Request.
29-11-2019
AOR Received.
05-11-2019
Me and my wife both are international student but i left my study year ago, now on 10october my wife applied spouse open work permit through lawyer
But didn't get any update
Is there any october applicant???
How much time more it will take??
I submitted our applications (WP and SOWP) on Oct 8. Got a first update yesterday (Jan 9) night. They asked for additional documents. So, at least now we know that someone is working on it. I know your pain. Being in the "waiting state" when there is nothing you can do to push things is driving nuts.

Abhigna1912

Apr 2, 2019
It depends what kind of job your spouse wants to work. You don't need to pass medicals unless the job type is defined as "where it is important to protect public health". See https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=183&top=17
Thank you for your response. We are not planning to work in the mentioned fields. I just wanted to confirm that it is not required, because while applying online for the permit there is a documents section for medicals. So you are saying we need not upload anything in that field right?
Thanks in advance.

pky2019

Dec 13, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-11-2019
Doc's Request.
29-11-2019
AOR Received.
05-11-2019
Thank you for your response. We are not planning to work in the mentioned fields. I just wanted to confirm that it is not required, because while applying online for the permit there is a documents section for medicals. So you are saying we need not upload anything in that field right?
Thanks in advance.
Nothing, unless your job requires it. BTW, the WP application questionnaire asks you if you are planning to work in such fields as medical, education, etc. Make sure you say no if there is no intention, otherwise they will request for med. Another reason for med exam can be if you/spouse come from/visit designated countries, see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents/country-requirements.html
Please, check if the medical field has status required. From what I remember, the med fileld should not appear unless you trigger it by indicating something in your application questionnaire that is calling for health safety ...

Last edited:

Yuvi__

Dec 30, 2019
I submitted our applications (WP and SOWP) on Oct 8. Got a first update yesterday (Jan 9) night. They asked for additional documents. So, at least now we know that someone is working on it. I know your pain. Being in the "waiting state" when there is nothing you can do to push things is driving nuts.
What type of documents they asked?
And you and your wife both are in cananda???

Abhigna1912

Apr 2, 2019
Nothing, unless your job requires it. BTW, the WP application questionnaire asks you if you are planning to work in such fields as medical, education, etc. Make sure you say no if there is no intention, otherwise they will request for med. Another reason for med exam can be if you/spouse come from/visit designated countries, see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents/country-requirements.html
Please, check if the medical field has status required. From what I remember, the med fileld should not appear unless you trigger it by indicating something in your application questionnaire that is calling for health safety ...
Yeah so my situation is a little tricky. I came to Canada in May from India. I got my medicals done for TRV in Feb 2019 which are valid till Feb 2020 only.
Now, the questionnaire mentions India in the designated countries. I cannot submit my old medicals as they might expire before my file gets picked up. Also Im not sure if my stay in India during the year 2019 will come in "6 months or more" bracket as I came to Canada on May 29th.
Can you please help me out here.

pky2019

Dec 13, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-11-2019
Doc's Request.
29-11-2019
AOR Received.
05-11-2019
What type of documents they asked?
And you and your wife both are in cananda???
In our case was a passport request. Nothing related to your case. Yes, we applied from Canada.

pky2019

Dec 13, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-11-2019
Doc's Request.
29-11-2019
AOR Received.
05-11-2019
Yeah so my situation is a little tricky. I came to Canada in May from India. I got my medicals done for TRV in Feb 2019 which are valid till Feb 2020 only.
Now, the questionnaire mentions India in the designated countries. I cannot submit my old medicals as they might expire before my file gets picked up. Also Im not sure if my stay in India during the year 2019 will come in "6 months or more" bracket as I came to Canada on May 29th.
Can you please help me out here.
Sorry, are you talking about your or your spouse application? My impression was that your spouse has submitted her application a while ago.

pky2019

Dec 13, 2019
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-11-2019
Doc's Request.
29-11-2019
AOR Received.
05-11-2019
I am the spouse here. :) And I am planning to apply for myself in 2 weeks.
Got it :) Then, unless you made a mistake in questionary, you will have to provide meds.
Assuming that you apply at the end of January, your old med will only be valid for few more weeks, which most likely will not be enough considering 8-10 weeks of "typical" IRCC processing time.

Possible options

1. Send old meds and hope some magic will happen.
Potentially, you might save some money, 200-300$,
but there is a high chance that IRCC will send a request letter for fresh meds.
Then it is a hassle - making a appointment, waiting, passing meds,
perhaps sending explanation letter to IRCC with your upcoming med check dates.
In worst case scenario, you application can be refused if it gets to a brutal officer.

2. Do your new meds to make sure your application is solid before submitting it.
I would personally go with this option. Better safe than sorry.

3. Talk to immigration lawyer. Maybe you can visit a lawyer from your school to save $$$
In this case, you can go over the "week" spots in questionary to see if there is a chance
to avoid raising med field.