+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaring past refusal

M.Arun

Mar 4, 2018
Hello all

I was refused a TRV for purpose of visit, financial status and travel history. Do I need to say this all in the IMM5257E "have you applied to Canada/Have you been refused"? Or is it just to say: "yes I was refused a trv once" and explain myself in cover letter?

Should I also write in that form what more information I am including in new application? Or should I write that in cover letter? Is it best to give much detail both in IMM5257E and in cover letter? Even if it might be similar information, just to reinforce?

Also I want to ask how badly previous refusal will weigh on me?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yes you need to say yes to previous refusal and there is usually a box for a short explanation. You don't need to write it in cover letter as long as you mention it in the form.

Have you rectified the refusal issues you have mentioned?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I can show income of around 1 LPM now, before I didn't.

Can @Bryanna also provide opinion on this and questions in first post?
What's that in CAD? Have you addressed the travel history and purpose of visit? You need to show strong ties to your home country in your SOP, like property, family, job etc.

Xplod1313

Sep 21, 2018
You can address all this in you covering letter as that’s the first thing the visa officer goes threw do address all the concerns he had in your last application which you have answered in your new application regarding funds tieup income travel history etc

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I can show income of around 1 LPM now, before I didn't.

Can @Bryanna also provide opinion on this and questions in first post?
1. What was the stated purpose and duration of your visit?

2. Do you have a Canadian host?

3. Do post the list of documents that you submitted

4. Are you currently employed or have you recently changed jobs (considering your increased income)?

M.Arun

Mar 4, 2018
1. What was the stated purpose and duration of your visit?

2. Do you have a Canadian host?

3. Do post the list of documents that you submitted

4. Are you currently employed or have you recently changed jobs (considering your increased income)?
1. Tourism, 10 days

2. No, i need one? How much improvement in chances if i had one?

3. Property ownership in name Arun madhavan, government document name change to srikant, property evaluation, 4 months statement showing 2L, hotel booking

4. Same employment, independent worker. Got income now. Gcms notes said "no international travel. No ties. insufficient proof of finances, establishment"

So they didn't consider my property at all? Is 1Lpm enough financial establishment?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Unfortunately, it is easy to see why you were refused.

1. Tourism, 10 days
As a first-time traveler, you were not able to convince the visa officer about your reasons to visit Canada. In fact, reasons for sightseeing/tourism don't fit in.

2. No, i need one? How much improvement in chances if i had one?
Even if you had a Canadian host, your application would be evaluated for its own merits. Any support from a Canadian host would be supplementary/secondary.

3. Property ownership in name Arun madhavan, government document name change to srikant, property evaluation, 4 months statement showing 2L, hotel booking
1. Property ownership mismatch + it would seem the property was transferred to create a tie

2. INR 200,000 = Too low, cannot cover the cost of the visit + airfare

3. Hotel bookings/plane tickets don't help

4. Same employment, independent worker. Got income now.
As a freelancer/self-employed person, your application should have had more evidence of your employment ties as compared to salaried employees.

Also as a self-employed person, you can decide your work schedules, your days off, etc = You will be viewed as a potential overstayer.... or someone who might work illegally during your visit

Gcms notes said "no international travel. No ties. insufficient proof of finances, establishment"
Quite honestly, GCMS notes were not required.

So they didn't consider my property at all?
No, because the ownership is different from yourself + it was transferred recently.

Is 1Lpm enough financial establishment?
You did not prove that you have stable income + the sources of the income + your work expenses (net income) + tax returns that match the income

M.Arun

Mar 4, 2018
1. Property ownership mismatch + it would seem the property was transferred to create a tie
No, because the ownership is different from yourself + it was transferred recently.
It was transferred in my old name over 5 years ago. Its still seen as recent?

In fact, I decided against the only other option cited by the local registrar: renouncing the old original and redrafting a new deed in my current name. because the date recorded in a new deed would be very recent, I didn't bother with that route and instead just showed the original 5 year old deed as it was. The evaluator also noted in their note that the two names were me and that the property belonged to my new name. Did the government document showing name change not count at all?

2. INR 200,000 = Too low, cannot cover the cost of the visit + airfare
How much is recommended?

As a freelancer/self-employed person, your application should have had more evidence of your employment ties as compared to salaried employees.
Evidence like this?

you have stable income + the sources of the income + your work expenses (net income) + tax returns that match the income
As my work requires no significant purchases, I have no expenses at all. Where would you recommend I address these concerns when I reapply? In the covering letter or in the IMM5257E form where it asks for details of previous refusals? Or both?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If you transferred it under your OLD name, that's a bigger red flag. So you have given them a company that's not in your NEW name?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you transferred it under your OLD name, that's a bigger red flag. So you have given them a company that's not in your NEW name?
I believe the OP is referring to a property transfer. The names in the property ownership (transferred 5 years ago) does not match his current name

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yes that's what I mean. If it does not match their name, how can they think it will be good for evidence

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
It was transferred in my old name over 5 years ago. Its still seen as recent?
Your current name does not match the current name stated in the property ownership documents = Would seem like it is owned by someone else (and you are attempting to claim you own it).

In fact, I decided against the only other option cited by the local registrar: renouncing the old original and redrafting a new deed in my current name. because the date recorded in a new deed would be very recent, I didn't bother with that route and instead just showed the original 5 year old deed as it was.
We had extensive discussions on this matter before you applied. There were several posts too. However, you chose to submit documents that you were cautioned would not work.

The evaluator also noted in their note that the two names were me and that the property belonged to my new name. Did the government document showing name change not count at all?
Do post the GCMS notes

How much is recommended?
It's not about how much money is recommended. It is the *actual* financial situation of the applicant that is scrutinized.

Evidence like this?
You've been on this forum long enough to know the answer to this. You could let us know what documents you have to prove that your self employed business is registered + actively trading + is financially lucrative + it is a compelling reason for you to return to India

As my work requires no significant purchases, I have no expenses at all.
Zero overheads + zero business expenses = 100% profits (that would be an ideal business + does not happen in reality) = No real business ties to return home to (no rent to pay for an office, no salaries to pay employees, no taxes, you can work anywhere and don't need to return to India)

Where would you recommend I address these concerns when I reapply? In the covering letter or in the IMM5257E form where it asks for details of previous refusals? Or both?
Hard evidence would work

VSputnik

Jan 22, 2019
As a first-time traveler, you were not able to convince the visa officer about your reasons to visit Canada. In fact, reasons for sightseeing/tourism don't fit in.
Hi, I followed you from our discussion on travel history. What reasons would fit in for a first time traveler?

You said in my thread, "it's not necessary to have traveled to other visa-required countries before applying for a TRV."