+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Decision made, passport sent. Then request for new medical

RobbieGee

May 29, 2015
So 3 weeks ago the Hong Kong office requested my wife send in her passport as a decision was made re: permanent residence application.

Her medical expired Aug 27, 10 days after they received her passport.

Now they have put her file back to in process and asking she send a new medical. The office misplaced documents causing delays that put us in this position. Processing times was 9 months when we applied it has now been a year and we have done all that has been asked ASAP.

When she first applied she was working in HK and a medical was easy to obtain. When her contract ended she went home to Indonesia.She is also a 5 hour trip from the nearest panel physician. Now we must pay for another exam as well as travel and hotel costs. She hasn't worked since may and I am really squeezed financially because she should have been here July 1st like they intimated she would at her interview in April.

Her passport is her only photo ID as she was away from home for 10 years and she needs her passport to get the medical. It takes months to obtain a national ID card where she is without her passport.

She needs her passport to get her medical but these people took her passport. How can she get a new medical? They need to send the passport back before she can even make an appointment or arrange to get to Surabuya. What a joke!

I filled out a CSE a week ago and have heard nothing.

This is a clown show of the highest order. I am embarrassed that this is how my country treats people. This is not the first blunder. We were asked on 2 different occasions to submit documents that had already been received. She was told at her interview that her police checks had not been received but when i contacted the police departments they told me the were received weeks in advance by registered mail. Still they told us 2 months later that we needed to send them or risk our application being cancelled. We had the Police send certified copies as well as documents showing originals had been received. We sent an address change to them that they completely botched as well.

Any thoughts or advice?

I am losing it here.

BrianDell

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Oct 2014
AOR Received.
1 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
6 Jan 2015<br>IP 3 June 2015
Med's Done....
9 Jan 2015
Passport Req..
17 June 2015
VISA ISSUED...
1 Aug 2015 (delivered)
LANDED..........
11 Aug 2015 in Edmonton
It's stories like these that remind me that people should not be getting their (first) medical done until after the sponsor has been approved, at the earliest. Had the medical been done one or two months after sponsorship approval with the result sent directly to Hong Kong instead of Mississauga the problem here would have been avoided.

I should think she could use a photocopy or printed scan of the passport to get the medical (re-)done. I would think that renewing some form of identification would have been priority #1 as soon as one had arrived back home. It'd be fair to conclude they are suspicious about this case if they've conducted an interview already and weren't prepared to make a decision immediately after the interview such that telling them she is currently in her home country with no identification and no means of obtaining legal identification isn't going to help dissipate any skepticism. If they've flipped back from Decision Made to In Process there's presumably something they don't like beyond a medical expiring just a few weeks too early.

By the way, when there is a document request I wouldn't rely on a third party that is supposed to send the documents to send those when they say they will or did, at least not when the sender isn't an Western country agency. I'd send copies in electronically as a safety. If copies were sent with the original application to Mississauga then it is indeed CIC that dropped the ball but if not then it's the word of the third country agency versus the Canadians and who's to say who's telling the truth about whether a document was delivered?

This doesn't mean Canadian visa offices don't botch things on a regular basis, but the possibility of a request to re-do the medical could have been anticipated here as it's no secret when it expires. In any case, the current decision would concern whether asking for the passport back, using it to get the medical done, and then sending it in again would be faster than using some other document to get the medical done.

BrianDell

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Oct 2014
AOR Received.
1 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
6 Jan 2015<br>IP 3 June 2015
Med's Done....
9 Jan 2015
Passport Req..
17 June 2015
VISA ISSUED...
1 Aug 2015 (delivered)
LANDED..........
11 Aug 2015 in Edmonton
Well I don't believe that we are, in fact, "told" that the medical has to be done before sending the file to Mississauga. It's on the application checklist, sure, but the application forms frequently change and the CIC website says it's merely an option. The CIC website also says that "You must get [a police certificate] from each country or territory where you have lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18" with no mention of just the last 10 years, such that I wouldn't be stating that I did as I was told if that website instruction wasn't followed. If there's a lesson here for others, I believe it is that the CIC website is the authority here.

"Her indo clearance was obtained by her family using a passport copy and family card, birth certificates"

She can't use the same documents to get a medical done???

"The non stupid thing to do would be for them to realize the medical was about to expire and to have the medical done and receipt sent back with the passport and address labels."

Or for you to realize that and have acted accordingly. I note that I wouldn't be commenting like this if it were just us two: I'm making the observations I do here for other readers. The passport request is a form letter that isn't tailored to provide special individual congratulations or additional requests. How are they supposed to know that you are in some sort of unique situation whereby you need the passport to get a medical done? The medical receipt can be sent to them electronically.

"It's not like we can just go and get a medical done without a letter from them."

Yet you were able to get a medical done (in HK) without a letter, no? Again, I'm not trying to point the finger here and absolve CIC. I'm rather trying to suggest you point the finger at the panel physician who isn't being reasonable. Or Interpol, given that this summer you're been delayed by security checks as opposed to marriage authenticity issues.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Did you really send 700 pages of chat logs?