+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Decision Made but No Communication Since! What to do?

JonDeaneStewart

Jun 24, 2013
Hello All,

First the problem: When I check the status of my wife's application it says that the decision was made on November 22nd, 2013. We have not received anything in the mail or via email communication. I feel as though we have been patient but now that it's been well over a month I'm starting to get antsy and concerned! Should we have received some sort of communication by now? What should we do to try to continue the process and figure out what decision was made? I'm having trouble figuring out how we actually contact the CIC. Any help would be HUGELY APPRECIATED! Thank you!

Here are the facts:
I am Canadian and my wife is American. We are living in the United States and applied for Permanent Resident Family Class Out Land.

The following is what's stated on the application status website:

We received [NAME] application for permanent residence on March 18, 2013.

We started processing [NAME] application on November 22, 2013.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made on [NAME] application. The office will contact [NAME] concerning this decision.

mrashid123

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
~ July 2013 (after receiving my Originals)
Med's Request
20-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2014!!! (Soo relieved!! Alhamd!!)
LANDED..........
14-03-2014!! (Happiest day of my life!! :):)
JonDeaneStewart said:
Hello All,

First the problem: When I check the status of my wife's application it says that the decision was made on November 22nd, 2013. We have not received anything in the mail or via email communication. I feel as though we have been patient but now that it's been well over a month I'm starting to get antsy and concerned! Should we have received some sort of communication by now? What should we do to try to continue the process and figure out what decision was made? I'm having trouble figuring out how we actually contact the CIC. Any help would be HUGELY APPRECIATED! Thank you!

Here are the facts:
I am Canadian and my wife is American. We are living in the United States and applied for Permanent Resident Family Class Out Land.

A decision has been made on [NAME] application. The office will contact [NAME] concerning this decision.
There are probably 2 seperate links under ur ecase.... one is for the "sponsorship application status" n "Permanent Residence Application Status".... if the status u mentioned is under the sponsorship application status then thats normal... it means they have completed their review of your (sponsor) end of the application and it has been approved.... they should've sent an email or a letter at the address u gave them stating that your end of the reviews are complete and the rest of the application has been forwarded to the appropriate embassy for processing ur wife's end of the application.... the fact that u haven't received any correspondence from them might mean they have the wrong email on their records or they may have the wrong address.... a quick call to the CIC help line should help in figuring that out

JonDeaneStewart

Jun 24, 2013
Hi, this is definitely about the actual application. My sponsorship was approved about 10 months ago and we did receive emails from them. I know for a fact they have our email as they have emailed us in the past about passport copies.

I am quite certain this is regarding my wifes actual application. Any other suggestions?

I am confused on how I actually contact the CIC as the help center says the following: "The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada."

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JonDeaneStewart said:
I know for a fact they have our email as they have emailed us in the past about passport copies.
This is good news. It means that, in all likelihood, her application was approved and after they requested the copies they would have prepared and mailed the CoPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) to your wife for her to use at landing. Considering the busy mail period we just went through with all the holiday mail and days off, it and that they started processing the application in Nov 2013, the CoPR may just be working its way through the mail to her mailing address.

JonDeaneStewart said:
I am confused on how I actually contact the CIC as the help center says the following: "The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada."
I would reply to the passport request e-mail. Since she's American, it's likely her application is being processed by CPP-O (you'll know from the prior communication). If you just reply to the prior email directly and CPP-O is the visa office, the e-mail will automatically be routed to the officer processing her case so it would be the fastest way to get accurate info. Alternatively, if you are physically *in* Canada you can call the call centre to get info (or have someone who is in Canada conference call you in).

Bottom line: depending on when you got the passport request, the CoPR is most probably working its way through the mail system. E-mail or call CIC to be sure.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
As your wife is American, the odds of even getting a PPR are slim to none, since there is no need for a visa. Have you folks moved AT ALL since you began your application process. If you have, it is possible that her COPR was mailed to a previous address.

I would definitely contact her VO, likely it is CPP-O via email/phone and request the information.

Good luck!

JonDeaneStewart

Jun 24, 2013
Thank you all. That information really helps! I will respond to the CPP-O email (you are correct as that is who emailed us) and try to get in touch with them.

Hopefully it's just the slow mail period. We have not moved since we started the application and I did receive my sponsorship approval forms 10 months ago or so so I know that they have the correct address.

Thanks again!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
JonDeaneStewart said:
Hello All,

Here are the facts:

If you did the medical in February 2013 and have not redone it, you are running out of time if your CoPR has been issued. This is normally how they tell you that the "decision" is in your favour. If it's gone missing, you need to chase it up urgently. Once it's expired, you have to restart the whole application again from the beginning.

Sea-Van

Jan 10, 2014
After reading through this forum, I'm thinking I should have started my initial post here. My timeline and situation are similar to the initial poster.
I'm American, my husband is Canadian. For work purposes I live in WA (US) and my husband lives in BC (Canada). We applied for PR from outside the country and our timeline is as follows:

We received your application for permanent residence on May 15, 2013.
We started processing your application on November 5, 2013.
A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

Please note the following: Within the past 2-3 days, CIC's site changed our status from In Process to Decision Made AND, I had my initial medical back in late January 2013 which means it will expire in approximately 2 weeks. My question is what should we expect now? I'm concerned about the impending medical expiration and also need guidance on the general timeline as there is SO much planning to do (dealing with work, housing, etc). Any help is much appreciated!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Sea-Van said:
After reading through this forum, I'm thinking I should have started my initial post here. My timeline and situation are similar to the initial poster.
I'm American, my husband is Canadian. For work purposes I live in WA (US) and my husband lives in BC (Canada). We applied for PR from outside the country and our timeline is as follows:

We received your application for permanent residence on May 15, 2013.
We started processing your application on November 5, 2013.
A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision.

Please note the following: Within the past 2-3 days, CIC's site changed our status from In Process to Decision Made AND, I had my initial medical back in late January 2013 which means it will expire in approximately 2 weeks. My question is what should we expect now? I'm concerned about the impending medical expiration and also need guidance on the general timeline as there is SO much planning to do (dealing with work, housing, etc). Any help is much appreciated!
Normally, if the medical is very close to expiry, CIC will request that the medical be extended for another 12 months. If the request is denied by the RMO, then a new medical is ordered OR you get very little time to "land" before the COPR expires. Impossible to tell until you have it in your hands.

Sea-Van

Jan 10, 2014
zardoz said:
Normally, if the medical is very close to expiry, CIC will request that the medical be extended for another 12 months. If the request is denied by the RMO, then a new medical is ordered OR you get very little time to "land" before the COPR expires. Impossible to tell until you have it in your hands.
Hi zardoz,
First, thanks for the quick response. However I don't know what the RMO is. Also if your willing, can you shed a bit more light on the typical landing process/time frame? BTW I live in the Pacific NW so it's only about 3 hours to get to the border crossing and presumably "land". Just to be proactive, I've even thought about scheduling another medical however that's potentially ~$412 which might not be necessary.
Thanks again.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Regional Medical Office/Centre.

Don't do a medical without being asked. It's pointless as you can't just "inject" it into the application processing after "Decision Made".
Landing takes about 20 minutes for a non-complex application such as "Spousal". The wait in the queue to be seen may be somewhat longer however :)

All you need is your passport, COPR and any B4/B4a forms that you are submitting at the time. (Search the forum for info on the B4 stuff).

Sea-Van

Jan 10, 2014
Great, thanks for the help. I'm curious, you're clearly knowledgeable about this process - do you think I would get more responses if I posted this as a new topic? Also, when I asked about the landing process, I should have been more specific. Are you suggesting that I will receive this COPR letter from CIC then am given a time frame within which to land? If so, then do you know the general time frame within which I should expect to receive the paperwork from CIC and the typical time they give you to land (from receipt of the paperwork)? Also note I'm asking the typical scenario, not my own.

I'm feeling a bit frazzled and am definitely concerned about the expiry issue. AND I will take your kind advice and check the forum for B4 forms.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013