+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[DECEMBER] Online Citizenship Applicants

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Any photographer in canada can give you a soft copy just ask for it. I always ask for it and they always give it to me. When they take a picture of you, they have a soft copy in their computer, just ask for it simple. The website said not to scan your photo. You want to do what they ask you not to do ?
thank you

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
Any photographer in canada can give you a soft copy just ask for it. I always ask for it and they always give it to me. When they take a picture of you, they have a soft copy in their computer, just ask for it simple. The website said not to scan your photo. You want to do what they ask you not to do ?
one more thing..when you ask for a soft copy,they email it to you or you give them a USB ket to upload it?
thank you

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
one more thing..when you ask for a soft copy,they email it to you or you give them a USB ket to upload it?
thank you
They can email it or put it in a USB key, it's all up to you. They can also send you a link where you can download it directly to your computer if they don't want to connect your USB key to their computer.

canadavisa13

Champion Member
Jun 13, 2013
They can email it or put it in a USB key, it's all up to you. They can also send you a link where you can download it directly to your computer if they don't want to connect your USB key to their computer.
thanks a lot i appreciate it.

saad1111

May 21, 2018
Go to staples they are doing digital photos and will give you a card with the picture with time and photographer details

Last edited:
Reactions: BOYX
Dec 4, 2020
So.. why does this application portal doesn't seem legit? There is no link from the cic website which redirects or any official mention of online application.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hi All - The link has been removed from the CIC website. It was there yesterday. Clear your browser history / cookies and you will no longer find it.
The https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing link is still working but it is no longer linked to the CIC website.
Anyone else noticed the same?
Yeah I reckon either they reached the quota or they are fixing some serious issues (which is why some folks like myself weren't able to submit their applications).

Honestly, I believe it's the latter i.e they are fixing some issues. My reason for this suspicion is due to the fact that it appears the application portal does not save some applicant's submissions. I think they'll fix it and put it up soon.

Rijo02

May 2, 2018
Yeah I reckon either they reached the quota or they are fixing some serious issues (which is why some folks like myself weren't able to submit their applications).

Honestly, I believe it's the latter i.e they are fixing some issues. My reason for this suspicion is due to the fact that it appears the application portal does not save some applicant's submissions. I think they'll fix it and put it up soon.
My saved perfectly! And I know I read about your challenges before starting mine. It was pretty straightforward. Just to be clear, where exactly are you having issues? Uploading documents in the placeholders or submitting the completed application? If the former, have you checked what I suggested about the format of file name? However, if it is the latter, I haven't gotten there as I haven't met my eligibility yet!

Let me know!

cash247

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Here's my opinion about https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing. It may be a phising site to collect personal information. I did a check and I don't think it's in any way related to Canadian Government (I am open to a counter argument though). The website is hosted on Amazon AWS located in the US. Think about it guys, would Canadian government host such critical data in the US? This website may steal your personal information and you should know what can be done with your SIN, DOB, address, work and academic history and so on!
Do your due diligence guys!!!

Last edited:

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
My saved perfectly! And I know I read about your challenges before starting mine. It was pretty straightforward. Just to be clear, where exactly are you having issues? Uploading documents in the placeholders or submitting the completed application? If the former, have you checked what I suggested about the format of file name? However, if it is the latter, I haven't gotten there as I haven't met my eligibility yet!

Let me know!
Hey thank you for the update. Boy, am I scratching my head. I agree the application is pretty straightforward (hell, I have filled out the form 5 times already :p).

So I tried your advice on the file name format. I code a lot so I habitually avoid spaces, therefore most of my files were named as advised. The Physical Presence file was not, however. Unfortunately, changing its name made no difference :(

Okay, I am going to document my steps just to be thorough. So please do point out if any of my steps differed from yours. I have bolded the sections which may differ between my application and yours. I also linked to an image showing the error prompt.

I have followed the below steps on different devices & even different browsers.

- Started creating the account as usual & entering the verification code for my e-mail address.

- Entered all personal details without requesting accommodations.

- I entered my phone number in both the "(647) XXX XXXX" format and the "647XXXXXXX" format. Made no difference.

- For address, I tried both "John St." & "John St" i.e period or no period. Made no difference. However, I always put the street number and the unit number. Did you guys do this as well?

- For the postal code, I use both the "X9X 9X9" and the "X9X9X9" formats i.e space or no space. Made no difference.

- Of course, I selected NO for the Use of Representative questions.

- For residence, I had 7 different addresses. I filled in my SIN for the taxes. I also filed my taxes for 3 years & did not require for the other two. I gave my consent to the CRA. I had 2 immigration statuses, both during the same time periods (since birth). I had two travel documents (both passports) during the period of interest. I DID have a time gap for my passport, to which I filled out the appropriate explanation. For my travel documents, I attached a PDF of my bio pages. I also did NOT have to give a police certificate.

- I had 12 different work experiences. My first two years were in another country.

- I selected NO for all of the Prohibition questions.

- For language proof, I selected "Post-Secondary Education in English" & I submitted my Transcript.pdf

- I gave my consent for the MP letter & the Register of Electors. I checked "I don't live in Quebec" for the Quebec section.

- For the Additional Documents, I submitted both a .jpg & a .jpeg format for the Citizenship Photo (not sure there's a difference but I was out of options lol). I tried adding a .jpg of the studio information in BOTH EITHER the Citizenship Photo section (alongside the Citizenship Photo) OR the Other Supporting Documents section. In both situations, the file successfully submitted. Maybe I should try a .pdf for this?

- I submitted a Receipt.pdf in the Pay Fee section.

- Finally, with everything checked, I went to Review and Submit. I provided my Name & City. Read the Privacy Notice & clicked Confirm and Submit. Upon which, I received the following error prompt along with the following message. I try submitting again and again, however I receive the same prompt.

- I sign out and sign in, upon which I notice that the Additional Documents section somehow did not save. This observation is interesting given the check mark appeared before signing out. I re-submitted the documents for the section, however, I still receive the same error. Sign out & Sign in: again, the additional documents did not save.

- I try using 4 different accounts, using different devices and browsers (yes, I literally typed out my whole history five bloody times not counting the physical application). For each account, a different section was unsaved. For one of them, my residence history did not save. For the other, my receipt did not save. For another, all sections saved but I was still not able to submit. I did not sign out while filling out everything either (as I did for my first go).

That covers all the steps I took. I am not sure why it's happening and where I am going astray. It must be something that I am doing differently, given I have used different devices as well. Do let me know if your application had something different from mine.

Here's my opinion about https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/landing. It's a phising site to collect personal information. I did a check and I believe it's not in any way related to Canadian Government (I am open to a counter argument though). The website is hosted on Amazon AWS located in the US. Think about it guys, would Canadian government host such critical data in the US? This website steals your personal information and you should know what can be done with your SIN, DOB, address, work and academic history and so on!
Do your due diligence guys!!!
It is not a phishing site. We've done our due diligence, I promise you. I will offer you three reasons why it is legitimate. For starters, when you go to the IRCC guide to apply for citizenship, a small prompt shows up that says IRCC are testing the online system for some applicants. This prompt links to the application page. Second, I called the IRCC yesterday to discuss the above errors I was facing when using the online application. They told me that I should just use the paper based application or wait since the tool just came out. Another member in this thread called them to verify the legitimacy of the tool and IRCC confirmed the same. Finally, members who did successfully submit receive a confirmation from an "@cic.gc.ca" email address. And before you get any ideas, no, it is not possible for someone to hack the IRCC to send these emails. To further squash the idea, applicants can check the status of their application on the IRCC website.

Last edited:
Reactions: simfhs

simfhs

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Just submitted the application successfully.

Below is the confirmation page:

You successfully submitted your application!
We’ll review your application to make sure you
  • provided all of the information we asked for
  • uploaded all required documents
  • paid the fees
If your application is complete, we’ll
  • start processing your application
  • send you a confirmation email (acknowledgement of receipt or AOR)
It can take some time before you receive the AOR. Check your email regularly to see if you’ve received it.
If we need more information from you, we’ll contact you by email. To avoid missing our emails
  • check your junk or spam folder
  • look for messages from email addresses ending in “@cic.gc.ca”
Check your email regularly.
Check your application status
You can
What your application status means
Prepare for your citizenship test
While waiting for your application, you can start studying for your citizenship test .

When to contact us
While we process your application, contact us if
Contact us
Returning to your application
To return to your application and this page, sign in to your account .
  • You can view, but not update your application.
  • If you need to update your application, contact us .

ace32

Oct 17, 2016
Hey thank you for the update. Boy, am I scratching my head. I agree the application is pretty straightforward (hell, I have filled out the form 5 times already :p).

So I tried your advice on the file name format. I code a lot so I habitually avoid spaces, therefore most of my files were named as advised. The Physical Presence file was not, however. Unfortunately, changing its name made no difference :(

Okay, I am going to document my steps just to be thorough. So please do point out if any of my steps differed from yours. I have bolded the sections which may differ between my application and yours. I also linked to an image showing the error prompt.

That covers all the steps I took. I am not sure why it's happening and where I am going astray. It must be something that I am doing differently, given I have used different devices as well. Do let me know if your application had something different from mine.

It is not a phishing site. We've done our due diligence, I promise you. I will offer you three reasons why it is legitimate. For starters, when you go to the IRCC guide to apply for citizenship, a small prompt shows up that says IRCC are testing the online system for some applicants. This prompt links to the application page. Second, I called the IRCC yesterday to discuss the above errors I was facing when using the online application. They told me that I should just use the paper based application or wait since the tool just came out. Another member in this thread called them to verify the legitimacy of the tool and IRCC confirmed the same. Finally, members who did successfully submit receive a confirmation from an "@cic.gc.ca" email address. And before you get any ideas, no, it is not possible for someone to hack the IRCC to send these emails. To further squash the idea, applicants can check the status of their application on the IRCC website.
I am also in same boat BOYX, getting the same error, try again :(

• Sad
Reactions: BOYX

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Just submitted the application successfully.

Below is the confirmation page:

You successfully submitted your application!
We’ll review your application to make sure you
  • provided all of the information we asked for
  • uploaded all required documents
  • paid the fees
If your application is complete, we’ll
  • start processing your application
  • send you a confirmation email (acknowledgement of receipt or AOR)
It can take some time before you receive the AOR. Check your email regularly to see if you’ve received it.
If we need more information from you, we’ll contact you by email. To avoid missing our emails
  • check your junk or spam folder
  • look for messages from email addresses ending in “@cic.gc.ca”
Check your email regularly.
Check your application status
You can
What your application status means
Prepare for your citizenship test
While waiting for your application, you can start studying for your citizenship test .

When to contact us
While we process your application, contact us if
Contact us
Returning to your application
To return to your application and this page, sign in to your account .
  • You can view, but not update your application.
  • If you need to update your application, contact us .
Congrats. Did you submit the application in one go or did you log in log out a couple of times?