29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
JALT said:
I'm English, a professional, aced any university essay and had 3 scientific papers published, and magazine articles. My supervisor regularly asks me to be editor for his other students papers and asks me to draft letters on their behalf.

I only got 7.5 in IELTS writing (I got 9 for everything else).... I don't write well under exam situations (speed writing), especially when I have no idea what I should write.... the question was "... ageing population in Canada, is that good or bad for the economy?" - I thought they were supposed to be testing my English, not my economics and philosophy knowledge!

My point is, don't feel bad about your score. You can be the best English writer in the world, and still get a stupid question! It just seems to be luck more than anything as to whether you get a good question or bad!
Seconded.

Same here I got 8.5 in every ability, apart from 7 in writing, in my job I'm heavily involved in business negotiations, writing technical white papers, and appearing for conferences keynotes.

JALT

Nov 3, 2015
maged_mmh said:
Seconded.

Same here I got 8.5 in every ability, apart from 7 in writing, in my job I'm heavily involved in business negotiations, writing technical white papers, and appearing for conferences keynotes.
Yeah I changed my post actually, I also got 7 in writing (not 7.5.... I was fooling myself ::))

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
JALT said:
Yeah I changed my post actually, I also got 7 in writing (not 7.5.... I was fooling myself ::))
that 0.5 is the difference bet CLB9 & 10 :)

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
JALT said:
I bet it is as well..... Damn!... stupid test :-X
it's very subjective with no clear metrics

Jamaicangirl88

Feb 23, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Port of Spain, Trinidad
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-01-2017
Hi guys,

Got an email from OINP today that my draft is out of date and I need to resend a new one (even though my bank told me that the draft doesn't have expiry date - plus I got receipt with my AOR).

The email also asked me to confirm my mailing address for them to send back the first draft.

I was actually asked to resend the new draft to the attention of a specific person at OINP - I'm guessing this is an investigative analyst.....

I got the new draft today and will resend on Monday.

I feel kinda optimistic to know that at least my file is being looked at...Could also mean that it is moving onto another stage.....who knows....

patnikrishna

Feb 17, 2015
NOC Code......
Jamaicangirl88 said:
Hi guys,

Got an email from OINP today that my draft is out of date and I need to resend a new one (even though my bank told me that the draft doesn't have expiry date - plus I got receipt with my AOR).

The email also asked me to confirm my mailing address for them to send back the first draft.

I was actually asked to resend the new draft to the attention of a specific person at OINP - I'm guessing this is an investigative analyst.....

I got the new draft today and will resend on Monday.

I feel kinda optimistic to know that at least my file is being looked at...Could also mean that it is moving onto another stage.....who knows....
hey, I think you should've received an AOR PDF in the mail as well.
this is an AOR. now wait starts for nomination

bestofluck

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2015
LANDED..........
10th June 2017
JALT said:
I'm English so it's my native language, I'm a professional, I've aced any university essay, and I have a number of publications. My supervisor regularly asks me to be editor for his other student's journal papers and asks me to draft letters on their behalf.

I only got 7.0 in IELTS writing (I got 9 for everything else).... I don't write well under exam situations (speed writing), especially when I have no idea what I should write.... the question was "... ageing population in Canada, is that good or bad for society?" - I thought they were supposed to be testing my English, not my economics and philosophy knowledge!

My point is, don't feel bad about your score. You can be the best English writer in the world, and still get a stupid question! It just seems to be luck more than anything as to whether you get a question you can answer substantially in a (very) short amount of time!

Glad you did not choose to become an editor. There are 2 mistakes in every sentence you have written. e.g

My supervisor regularly asks me to be editor for his other student's journal papers and asks me to draft letters on their behalf.

corrected

My supervisor regularly asks me to be the editor of his other student's journal papers and asks me to draft letters on their behalf.

Being an English, it is obvious you get 9 in speaking and listening because IELTS is a British Institute and all examiners being English too, you have an advantage. Writing is the real test of your skills.

It is not at all a luck factor. They have a very specific course and practice is the only way to get good scores. The essay you have mentioned is printed in every IELTS book and believe me it is the easiest of all. This question has been asked for many years repeatedly.

I have also had my education in U.K and I know everyone there, is weak in writing. The use of a, an, the .....is their main drawback.

bestofluck

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2015
LANDED..........
10th June 2017
@jamaicangirl88, I am also afraid, i will get the same email. Let me be prepared for the same. I guess i am the only one left out.....

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
bestofluck said:
Glad you did not choose to become an editor. There are 2 mistakes in every sentence you have written. e.g

My supervisor regularly asks me to be editor for his other student's journal papers and asks me to draft letters on their behalf.

corrected

My supervisor regularly asks me to be the editor of his other student's journal papers and asks me to draft letters on their behalf.
Well, since you're at it:
My supervisor regularly asks me to be editor for his other student's journal papers << JALT means he's ONE of the editors

My supervisor regularly asks me to be the editor of his other student's journal papers << THE EDITOR means the one & only, besides you can't edit students :D you only edit FOR students

Being an English, it is obvious you get 9 in speaking and listening because IELTS is a British Institute and all examiners being English too, you have an advantage. Writing is the real test of your skills.
Listening and speaking are by far the toughest skills even for natives (due to the multitude of dialects and accents) , not writing, while reading being the easiest

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just now got my old draft back.
AOR: 29-June
New Draft received by OINP:8-July
Old Draft received by me - 23-July 10:30 am via purolator/Aramex

Mr Optimist

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maged_mmh said:
My supervisor regularly asks me to be editor for his other student's journal papers << JALT means he's ONE of the editors

My supervisor regularly asks me to be the editor of his other student's journal papers << THE EDITOR means the one & only, besides you can't edit students :D you only edit FOR students

Listening and speaking are by far the toughest skills even for natives (due to the multitude of dialects and accents) , not writing, while reading being the easiest
Agree with @bestofluck that scoring high in writing is tricky. What we usually don't pay much attention to but costs a lot for us in IELTS is, punctuation. And of course, prepositions and spellings ensure we never get the points we desire!!

That being said, my two cents on the sentence that is being edited so much in this thread.

Journal is a paper. No need to say "journal paper". And, editor is a designation/post. Editing is a task/activity. So, obviously supervisor was asking his subordinate to do the task, not assume the post. In addition to that supervisor was asking his subordinate to edit journals of more than one student. So it should be "students'" rather than "student's" (Didn't I tell you we screw ourselves up with punctuation! :) ).

So correct sentence would be, "My supervisor regularly asks me to edit his students' journals". Perhaps, more appropriate sentence would be - "My supervisor frequently asks me to edit his students' journals". :p

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
DigitalDestiny said:
Just now got my old draft back.
AOR: 29-June
New Draft received by OINP:8-July
Old Draft received by me - 23-July 10:30 am via purolator/Aramex
where are you based?
I too got it 2 weeks back by aramex

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
Mr Optimist said:
Agree with @bestofluck that scoring high in writing is tricky. What we usually don't pay much attention to but costs a lot for us in IELTS is, punctuation. And of course, prepositions and spellings ensure we never get the points we desire!!

That being said, my two cents on the sentence that is being edited so much in this thread.

Journal is a paper. No need to say "journal paper". And, editor is a designation/post. Editing is a task/activity. So, obviously supervisor was asking his subordinate to do the task, not assume the post. In addition to that supervisor was asking his subordinate to edit journals of more than one student. So it should be "students'" rather than "student's" (Didn't I tell you we screw ourselves up with punctuation! :) ).

So correct sentence would be, "My supervisor regularly asks me to edit his students' journals". Perhaps, more appropriate sentence would be - "My supervisor frequently asks me to edit his students' journals". :p
nope, journal is not a single paper, if you review some of the specialized journals or proceedings, a journal contains several papers, a single paper usually researching a specific topic or solving a specific problem, a journal collects several such papers from a given stream of science and usually periodically published.

An editor is an individual, not a post nor designation in this context

maybe student's papers or students' papers - depends whether all the papers are written by a single individual student or many.

you rephrasing of the sentence is grammatically correct; however, doesn't necessary has the same meaning of the OP :D

bestofluck

VIP Member
Aug 11, 2015
LANDED..........
10th June 2017
maged_mmh said:

LOL I just Ginger checked it, just because He was Boosting. :D :D :D :D may be Ginger is also weak at English like me or else you too.