+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*** December 2020 Inland Spousal Sponsorship ***

Dattateja

Star Member
Jun 3, 2020
hi i just got the portal invite too. i just sent the info. in how long did they get back to you with the portal info?
Hi we got portal info email on Oct 30th around 12 PM, replied to it by 12:30 PM and got email with portal credentials by Oct 31st 3:30 PM, submitted address and photos by 7 PM same day and got eCopr on 1st Nov around 1 PM.

nini66

Oct 25, 2018
Hi we got portal info email on Oct 30th around 12 PM, replied to it by 12:30 PM and got email with portal credentials by Oct 31st 3:30 PM, submitted address and photos by 7 PM same day and got eCopr on 1st Nov around 1 PM.
awesome thanks! and for the 2 pics, u just scanned the pics and uploaded them?

Dattateja

Star Member
Jun 3, 2020
awesome thanks! and for the 2 pics, u just scanned the pics and uploaded them?
It's just one pic and we didn't want to take any risks so we went to UPS store and got our photo taken and got a digital copy of it and uploaded that, it was $28 with tax.

Reactions: nini66

nini66

Oct 25, 2018
hey again, so i answered the portal invite yesterday, and again today i got a reminder. is this happening to anyone else? im not sure if im doing something wrong, is it possible they are not getting my email response?

Dattateja

Star Member
Jun 3, 2020
hey again, so i answered the portal invite yesterday, and again today i got a reminder. is this happening to anyone else? im not sure if im doing something wrong, is it possible they are not getting my email response?
Hey saw many other's mentioned they received multiple remainders, just reply to it again.

dbanderblom

Nov 14, 2021
Hello everyone, I'm really struggling with what to do in regards to my situation as I come up on 6 months in country. I'm wondering if anyone else from Dec. 2020 is in a similar situation, or has been through any of the same dealings.

-We submitted Spousal Inland sponsorship in mid-December 2020. I'm American, my wife is Canadian. We were previously living in US.

-The lawyer we hired was nice enough until application was submitted, then became quite curt and uninterested in our case. Constantly insisting he would let us know the moment there was any communication, and criticizing us for taking as long as we did to finally decide to move to Canada.

-Finally heard back from him in July 2021 that my application was returned because the photocopy his office made of my birth certificate didn't print correctly and they submitted without catching it. Since most of my original documents were too old by that point, I had to regather most of my materials for my application to be resubmitted. Background checks, fingerprints, photos, bank statements, etc. He told us he would do all the extra work for free and not put it on my final bill...and that this hiccup would in no way effect the timing of my application, so long as we jumped on it right away and resubmitted. We gathered everything in a week and sent it to him for resubmittal.

-Now nearly 4 months later, and I still have not received anything. I have no AOR, no prospective application number, no communication from IRCC whatsoever.

-My attorney last assured me on Sept. 20th, that this is the "normal processing time they are seeing right now", but following the spreadsheets from this forum shows a very different picture. Almost everyone else that submitted in December 2020 had received an AOR by June of 2021. The vast majority of people who hadn't even applied until August 2021, have received their AOR.

-On Sept. 20th he told me he would file an official inquiry. I still have not heard anything from him, or IRCC. But when you look at the IRCC webpage about the official inquiry, it clearly states they will not respond to any inquiries before applications have been submitted for the estimated processing time, which seems to me that they won't even accept my inquiry until December of 2021. Did my attorney really not know that? And if so, why did he tell me he would file it? This makes me feel as though he's either incompetent, or will say anything to keep me placated.

The main reason we went this route was so that I could get the Open Work Permit within a handful of months of receiving the AOR. I have not been able to work for a year now, and I have absolutely no way to comprehend how I don't even have an AOR at this point. Am I still another year out? I know that there are many people in more difficult circumstances, as at least I am with my partner, and I know that there are other outliers that are in some sort of limbo. But I have yet to see anyone that doesn't even have a prospective application number, after 11 months in processing. At this point I have completely lost faith in my attorney's abilities, and am worried that he might be misleading me to cover up his negligence, or minimize the perception of his fault.

All communications from my application go through his office, and I'm worried that if I accuse him of misleading me about the impact his mistake had on my application, maybe he'll accidentally miss something else, or somehow put even less effort into helping me navigate this process.

I left Canada for doctor's appointments and vaccines in April/May, which also kept me in Canada for less than 6 months, however I am coming up again on another 6 months in the country on a visitor visa. My attorney told me it's ok to be here since I've submitted my application, but I've read other people have heard the opposite from border guards.

Is there anyone else out there from Dec. 2020 in this boat? Do I need to visit the states to avoid jeopardizing my status? I have no proof from IRCC that I've even applied, and my attorney has lost all of my trust when it comes to advisement.

Any advice from the community would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks,
-db

clue12

Jul 1, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm really struggling with what to do in regards to my situation as I come up on 6 months in country. I'm wondering if anyone else from Dec. 2020 is in a similar situation, or has been through any of the same dealings.

-We submitted Spousal Inland sponsorship in mid-December 2020. I'm American, my wife is Canadian. We were previously living in US.

-The lawyer we hired was nice enough until application was submitted, then became quite curt and uninterested in our case. Constantly insisting he would let us know the moment there was any communication, and criticizing us for taking as long as we did to finally decide to move to Canada.

-Finally heard back from him in July 2021 that my application was returned because the photocopy his office made of my birth certificate didn't print correctly and they submitted without catching it. Since most of my original documents were too old by that point, I had to regather most of my materials for my application to be resubmitted. Background checks, fingerprints, photos, bank statements, etc. He told us he would do all the extra work for free and not put it on my final bill...and that this hiccup would in no way effect the timing of my application, so long as we jumped on it right away and resubmitted. We gathered everything in a week and sent it to him for resubmittal.

-Now nearly 4 months later, and I still have not received anything. I have no AOR, no prospective application number, no communication from IRCC whatsoever.

-My attorney last assured me on Sept. 20th, that this is the "normal processing time they are seeing right now", but following the spreadsheets from this forum shows a very different picture. Almost everyone else that submitted in December 2020 had received an AOR by June of 2021. The vast majority of people who hadn't even applied until August 2021, have received their AOR.

-On Sept. 20th he told me he would file an official inquiry. I still have not heard anything from him, or IRCC. But when you look at the IRCC webpage about the official inquiry, it clearly states they will not respond to any inquiries before applications have been submitted for the estimated processing time, which seems to me that they won't even accept my inquiry until December of 2021. Did my attorney really not know that? And if so, why did he tell me he would file it? This makes me feel as though he's either incompetent, or will say anything to keep me placated.

The main reason we went this route was so that I could get the Open Work Permit within a handful of months of receiving the AOR. I have not been able to work for a year now, and I have absolutely no way to comprehend how I don't even have an AOR at this point. Am I still another year out? I know that there are many people in more difficult circumstances, as at least I am with my partner, and I know that there are other outliers that are in some sort of limbo. But I have yet to see anyone that doesn't even have a prospective application number, after 11 months in processing. At this point I have completely lost faith in my attorney's abilities, and am worried that he might be misleading me to cover up his negligence, or minimize the perception of his fault.

All communications from my application go through his office, and I'm worried that if I accuse him of misleading me about the impact his mistake had on my application, maybe he'll accidentally miss something else, or somehow put even less effort into helping me navigate this process.

I left Canada for doctor's appointments and vaccines in April/May, which also kept me in Canada for less than 6 months, however I am coming up again on another 6 months in the country on a visitor visa. My attorney told me it's ok to be here since I've submitted my application, but I've read other people have heard the opposite from border guards.

Is there anyone else out there from Dec. 2020 in this boat? Do I need to visit the states to avoid jeopardizing my status? I have no proof from IRCC that I've even applied, and my attorney has lost all of my trust when it comes to advisement.

Many Thanks,
-db

Hi - so sorry to hear you're going through all of this, it sounds really stressful!! I applied on my own, so I can't address your concerns about your lawyer, but with regard to the question about status, it's my understanding that by applying for the OWP, you are under implied status until you receive a decision on that application. If you are concerned about something going wrong with the OWP application or just want extra peace of mind, you could also apply for an extension of your visitor status. I did this back in Feb (I'm also a US citizen, came to Canada in Sept 2020 as a visitor, applied for visitor extension in Feb 2021 after submitting my PR app + OWP in Dec 2020), and it was fairly simple. Wrote a letter explaining that I had applied for PR under in-Canada spousal sponsorship and wished to remain in Canada with my spouse until the application was complete, and included a few documents proving that I had applied for PR and was in Canada at the time (receipt from PR application, flight records, etc). Not sure if it was necessary to include those extra documents, but I did eventually get an approved visitor record in June 2021 extending my visitor status until March 2022. Ultimately, I got COPR in August 2021 and never even heard anything about the OWP, so I ended up withdrawing that application.

I'm sure other people who know more than me will chime in and also correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above, but if you're really anxious for answers and advice, I would suggest searching this forum for other threads related to these topics - there is a lot of helpful info already out there if you look for it! Best of luck to you!

Reactions: dbanderblom

erika09

Dec 1, 2020

Many Thanks,
-db
I am sponsoring my husband who is also American and came here March 2020 as a visitor. We didn’t submit for sponsorship until December 2020 but we have been applying for visitor records so he maintains status while we wait for a decision and OWP just in case anything goes wrong he won’t be out of status. It is really easy to apply for visitor record and can be done online. We have just been explaining that we are waiting on our application.

davidoqc2

Aug 16, 2021

Many Thanks,
-db
When did you re-submit your documents to IRCC? Sadly, your submission date will be this date, not December 2020, because if your application is returned to you it gets sent to the back of the queue. I'd definitely be making a formal complaint about your attorney though, he sounds like he's making your life a lot more difficult than it needs to be for applying. A lot of people do it through representatives, but personally I applied for PR without one and had no issues!

I applied in October 2020, only got AOR for it in September 2021, but was one of the last ones to get it from my group. If you reapplied 4 months ago, might be disappointing to say but you're gonna be waiting about another 5 or 6 months from AOR looking at other timelines :/

Hopefully everything comes through soon enough though, I know myself how awful it is to wait for everything to fall into place with this process.\

As for your status, since you're in Canada and are actively trying to apply for permanent residence, you should be able to do this without any status because of a temporary measure due to COVID. If anything, leaving Canada right now would cause you more issues since you've got an application pending with them.

dbanderblom

Nov 14, 2021
When did you re-submit your documents to IRCC? Sadly, your submission date will be this date, not December 2020, because if your application is returned to you it gets sent to the back of the queue. I'd definitely be making a formal complaint about your attorney though, he sounds like he's making your life a lot more difficult than it needs to be for applying. A lot of people do it through representatives, but personally I applied for PR without one and had no issues!

I applied in October 2020, only got AOR for it in September 2021, but was one of the last ones to get it from my group. If you reapplied 4 months ago, might be disappointing to say but you're gonna be waiting about another 5 or 6 months from AOR looking at other timelines :/

Hopefully everything comes through soon enough though, I know myself how awful it is to wait for everything to fall into place with this process.\

As for your status, since you're in Canada and are actively trying to apply for permanent residence, you should be able to do this without any status because of a temporary measure due to COVID. If anything, leaving Canada right now would cause you more issues since you've got an application pending with them.
Thanks for the response and sharing your timeline! It's a bit of relief at least to know that there are others who are so far out from receiving their AOR as well. It's quite unfair feeling; seeing how many people that applied months later have completed their entire process. There are people applying outland from the end of July that have completely finished their process already.

dbanderblom

Nov 14, 2021
I am sponsoring my husband who is also American and came here March 2020 as a visitor. We didn’t submit for sponsorship until December 2020 but we have been applying for visitor records so he maintains status while we wait for a decision and OWP just in case anything goes wrong he won’t be out of status. It is really easy to apply for visitor record and can be done online. We have just been explaining that we are waiting on our application.
Thanks for the suggestion!

dbanderblom

Nov 14, 2021
Hi - so sorry to hear you're going through all of this, it sounds really stressful!! I applied on my own, so I can't address your concerns about your lawyer, but with regard to the question about status, it's my understanding that by applying for the OWP, you are under implied status until you receive a decision on that application. If you are concerned about something going wrong with the OWP application or just want extra peace of mind, you could also apply for an extension of your visitor status. I did this back in Feb (I'm also a US citizen, came to Canada in Sept 2020 as a visitor, applied for visitor extension in Feb 2021 after submitting my PR app + OWP in Dec 2020), and it was fairly simple. Wrote a letter explaining that I had applied for PR under in-Canada spousal sponsorship and wished to remain in Canada with my spouse until the application was complete, and included a few documents proving that I had applied for PR and was in Canada at the time (receipt from PR application, flight records, etc). Not sure if it was necessary to include those extra documents, but I did eventually get an approved visitor record in June 2021 extending my visitor status until March 2022. Ultimately, I got COPR in August 2021 and never even heard anything about the OWP, so I ended up withdrawing that application.

I'm sure other people who know more than me will chime in and also correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above, but if you're really anxious for answers and advice, I would suggest searching this forum for other threads related to these topics - there is a lot of helpful info already out there if you look for it! Best of luck to you!
I think applying for the extension is a smart idea. Thanks for the input!

yoshwakeham

May 3, 2021
Thanks for the response and sharing your timeline! It's a bit of relief at least to know that there are others who are so far out from receiving their AOR as well. It's quite unfair feeling; seeing how many people that applied months later have completed their entire process. There are people applying outland from the end of July that have completely finished their process already.
Sorry to hear about everything you're going through, db – really awful stuff with that lawyer. I can definitely relate to that feeling of unfairness (while also recognizing my own privileged situation). We're all at the mercy of this opaque and unpredictable process. Stay strong.