Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
Hi all,

Application date: 28th December
AOR: 20th February
Biometrics request 22nd February

I just checked our profile and it says that the background check is going on? Is this common? We haven't received our MR or SA yet. Any guesses on when we could receive that?
My application, along with others have had their background checks in progress since we received AOR1.

I’d expect SA and medical requests to come anytime now really. Everything sort of flew after my biometric request came in. :D

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
So as above suggested, if for PR travelling for a long time can cause issues "not being present in Canada", so that for a citizen? If you're a citizen travelling for months, that means you need to provide evidences of return? And if you didn't then what?
Although in our day-to-day lives we think of PRs and citizens as practically the same, we have to remember in the eyes of the law they are still totally different statuses with different obligations, particularly in terms of residency. I think sometimes on this board we gloss over the fact that it really is a different experience to sponsor someone as a PR or as a citizen, and in certain situations it's extra important to clarify.

PRs and citizens just do not have the same rights, point blank. And if a PR wants those rights, they have the option to become a citizen. You have to keep this in mind whenever you're thinking through IRCC's logic. At the end of the day, a PR is still a citizen of a country that is not Canada, whereas a Canadian citizen only has Canada as their guaranteed home (okay, forget dual citizens like me). IRCC can monitor/restrict/question the movements of a PR into and out of the country for the very reason that they're not a Canadian citizen and not fundamentally entitled to residency there.

So yes, if you're a citizen travelling around, you need to provide evidence you will return (again, like me), and they could also easily deny your partner's PR app if they don't believe you are honestly coming with them and are just "sneaking" them into the country without you. But a citizen has no regular requirement to prove they are maintaining residency in Canada themselves apart from this one very specific loophole-like situation, whereas PRs do always.

Reactions: ryester and JoshC

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
Hi all,

Application date: 28th December
AOR: 20th February
Biometrics request 22nd February

I just checked our profile and it says that the background check is going on? Is this common? We haven't received our MR or SA yet. Any guesses on when we could receive that?
Out of curiosity, is the PA from a visa-exempt country?

Reactions: JoshC

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
Haha, I see your secret logic is spinning again to rationalize this:D
:D:D:D

I mean, I did admit just up above that I love detective work... :rolleyes:

Reactions: JoshC

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
I think there is already an exception to your (potential) logic, @svilli is not from visa except country, but her case started with BGC early in the stage without receiving MR.;)
No, my theory is that GCKey showing background check from the beginning is for visa-exempt people. (Not the ECAS background check.)

...but now I'm really not sure if writing that sentence proves my sanity or insanity at this point. :p;)

Reactions: al0h0m0ra and JoshC

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
No, my theory is that GCKey showing background check from the beginning is for visa-exempt people. (Not the ECAS background check.)

...but now I'm really not sure if writing that sentence proves my sanity or insanity at this point. :p;)
Ideally we could do with a PA’s country column on the tracker and BCIP (Background Check in Progress column). Alas, I can’t add it as I’ve limited rights... and where do you stop adding things before it becomes a chore to scroll and maintain.:rolleyes:

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
I really like this reply, it has a lot of sense. Thank you.
I've been thinking about this topic today since we had that conversation a few posts above. And same as you said, I'd never understand how 3 weeks vacation could mean "I'm not residing in Canada".
Answering @schweisy 's question if I want to be right or approved: there are different cases. Some people may realize they already had 3-4 weeks vacation and now they found out it can cause issues and they try to understand if it really would or would not cause anything.
I never argue with anybody just for the sheer purpose of arguing. In every case I'm trying to understand for myself and for future readers of this forum what consequences might be risen after any potentially harmful actions.
I actually didn't intend to suggest you were arguing for the sake of it, I was trying to point out that you may be totally right according to your interpretation of the law, but in the end it's the officer's interpretation of the law that counts. So you can argue your logic and we can find it utterly persuasive but unfortunately, I think we have seen many a time that these things are neither as logical nor as consistent as we would like, and, most importantly, the officer has significant discretion in how they choose to interpret your case.

Think about how many aspects of the application itself (or, equally, a justification for leaving during the application process) has to do with the applicant having an "intention" to do something, which is extremely subjective. You might feel totally secure knowing you really do have an intention, but if the immigration officer doesn't see it like you do, well, tough, they make the decisions. It's not a black-and-white, scientific process; it's still performed by a fallible human. So why give them any opportunity to misinterpret anything?

As applicants we all feel a ton of anxiety and often engage in exquisite levels of tea-leaf reading trying to predict outcomes (and us here even more than most :D), but you're looking for a concrete answer where there just isn't one. Commenters are simply trying to point out the potential risks -- it's then up to the individual to use their judgement alone to decide what level of risk they're comfortable with.

schweisy

Dec 7, 2018
Berlin
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
07-12-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2019
File Transfer...
11-03-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
11-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2019
Ideally we could do with a PA’s country column on the tracker and BCIP (Background Check in Progress column). Alas, I can’t add it as I’ve limited rights... and where do you stop adding things before it becomes a chore to scroll and maintain.:rolleyes:
I agree -- one of the biggest problems with that spreadsheet IMO is that the procedure seems to have changed in recent months, so several of the columns don't make as much sense or aren't as useful to us anymore, whereas ones that would be helpful we can't add (e.g. the background check part doesn't really make sense anymore, we don't submit schedule A separately anymore, there's no column for biometrics, etc).

Reactions: svilli and JoshC

smomen

Star Member
Apr 10, 2018
Ok, I am seeing a lots of discussions going on regarding travel after sponsorship application (for PRs).
How about travelling after getting Sponsorship Approval? Does it matter? I heard Sponsorship Approval means now they will assess PA not the sponsor anymore?
Any thoughts folks?

svilli

Jan 15, 2019
Update time folks -
medical received on Feb 25
Medical test given on Feb 21
Medical request on Feb 19
PA from India

Not sure whether PA passed or not as I hired a representative and I don’t have access to GCKey. Couple of questions:

Will ‘medicals passed’ be updated on ecas ?
Hi, I'm not an expert, but try to answer and guide you if not.
In 2015 there was a line in ecas "Medical results have been received".
For the moment, dec applicants' only passing medicals...
You might search for an answer on older threads, and update us here;)

Would there be an email for AOR2 or an update on ECAS?
I got email, but someone doesn't receive it. (I posted here today morning, hope, you are reading our thread;))
In ecas, in PA's section "We started processing PA's application on DATE." (I also posted it here on Saturday:p)

How would I know the visa office where the file has been transferred to? Would this be on ECAS or AOR2?
This info will be in signature in AOR 2. Someone recieves mail that their application transferred to XXX VO (not in my case)
In ecas and GCkey there is no info about visa office, except again signature in the docs sent by VO

What is the average timeline from medicals recovered to AOR2?

Look forward to hearing from the experts.

Cheers
Hari
Sorry, I didn't get this question :(
If you are asking about the time between MR and AOR2 - in my case i haven't got MR yet.
Otherwise, you could analyze the file with statistics. o_O

Last edited:

ritvik123

Sep 16, 2012
App. Filed.......
7th Dec
Doc's Request.
20 March
AOR Received.
6th Feb
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
27th Feb
Med's Request
19th Feb
Med's Done....
25th Feb
Interview........
N/A
Ok, I am seeing a lots of discussions going on regarding travel after sponsorship application (for PRs).
How about travelling after getting Sponsorship Approval? Does it matter? I heard Sponsorship Approval means now they will assess PA not the sponsor anymore?
Any thoughts folks?
Well you are opening the Pandoras Box again my friend. The entire day was spent answering questions related to your question and I feel the only inference we can draw is : It all depends on the Visa officers discretion..lol

@schweisy I know you are salivating to take one last dig :p