+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

December 2014 citizenship applicants!

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
tsooma said:
Can someone pleasee help me interpret this?

Logged in yesterday and got this:
1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 06, 2014.

2. We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on February 06, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

3. We started processing your application on February 21, 2015.

4. Your file was transferred to the Montréal office on March 22, 2015. The Montréal office will contact you.

5. We sent you a notice on May 4, 2015 to appear and write the citizenship test on May 24, 2015 at 8:15 PM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

6. Your file was transferred to the Montréal office on June 4, 2015. The Montréal office will contact you.
Especially this line! What does it mean?

Logged in today and got this:
1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 06, 2014.

2. We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on February 06, 2015. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

3. We started processing your application on February 21, 2015.

4. We sent you a notice on May 4, 2015 to appear and write the citizenship test on May 24, 2015 at 8:15 PM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
Pure speculation from me and trying to find some sense... to me based on the above, it seems as a result of C-24 coming fully into force, the system has maybe been changed where the local office transfer update may not be reflected in e-cas anymore going forward. It will go from ''In-Process'' to ''Test Invite''? who knows!

tsooma

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Sam, yeah maybe. Still doesn't explain the line briefly appearing after my test, I guess it can be anything, perhaps the oath itself?

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
garian4u said:
I would say if you do not get invitation by 10th you should accept the offer. If the oath date really coincides with your conference later, you can tell the organizers that something urgent came up and that you now can't make it. It can happen to anybody. However, if you gamble and take the award, if the oath doesn't coincide you would have got best of both.
Thanks Sam and garian4u for both of your advice. I definitely will not reschedule oath.

I thought of using the extra money to buy a ticket back to Vancouver if the oath clashes with the conference. However, if I take oath right before the conference, and if I don't have enough time to apply for a passport, I don't think I will be able to use my old passport + citizenship certificate to fly back. My home country does not accept dual citizenship. I'm Chinese.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
Thanks Sam and garian4u for both of your advice. I definitely will not reschedule oath.

I thought of using the extra money to buy a ticket back to Vancouver if the oath clashes with the conference. However, if I take oath right before the conference, and if I don't have enough time to apply for a passport, I don't think I will be able to use my old passport + citizenship certificate to fly back. My home country does not accept dual citizenship. I'm Chinese.
Why not?

Canada can't refuse entry if you are Canadian.

Your only issue is to be allowed to board the plane as you won't have anymore your permanent resident card. If you have a valid US visa in your Chinese passport, then you can do it travelling through US.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
neutral said:
Why not?

Canada can't refuse entry if you are Canadian.

Your only issue is to be allowed to board the plane as you won't have anymore your permanent resident card. If you have a valid US visa in your Chinese passport, then you can do it travelling through US.
My conference is in US. My Chinese passport has a valid US visa. Do you mean US airplanes would allow people to board without a PR card?

Once taken the citizenship of another country, I don't think a Chinese can legally travel with a Chinese passport. I would not want to take any chances with governments.

Only if I know my oath date. If it happens during the conference, I would fly back red-eye and taxi to the ceremony.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
yyzhuang said:
My conference is in US. My Chinese passport has a valid US visa. Do you mean US airplanes would allow people to board without a PR card?

Once taken the citizenship of another country, I don't think a Chinese can legally travel with a Chinese passport. I would not want to take any chances with governments.

Only if I know my oath date. If it happens during the conference, I would fly back red-eye and taxi to the ceremony.
This is the scenario after you obtain canadian citizenship:

You need to check the chinese embassy's website if there is a grace period that you can utilize to use your chinese passport for travel after obtaining canadian citizenship.
If you are not allowed then don't risk yourself and better apply for canadian passport and then travel.
If you are allowed then you can enter usa however, returning to canada would be a problem because you will no longer have a pr card and i think you can't enter canada using citizenship certificate. Please read the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:

No, you have to do it by land, renting a car, that way you reach Canada. You can board a plane within US to make you close to the border but not directly to Canada.

Canada doesn't care about Chinese laws the same as China doesn't care about Canadian law. That's the way it works. If you're still Chinese and your passport is valid is totally legal to use it. And anyway, once you reach Canadian border, as you are Canadian you will show them your Citizenship Certificate. If you are not Chinese anymore or not is not Canada's business.

pisces123

Star Member
May 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
Congrats! The book can be found here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/discover/ They have pdf, mp3 format. You can either read or listen.
@yyzhuang .. thnx!

DenverCO

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My status too missing the line related to my file being transferred to Scarborough as of 19th May.

I need to rush my wife's application to CIC on Monday to be eligible as per the old rules. She had already met the conditions for citizenship!

Luna-Toronto

Apr 18, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I felt better after reading that everyone elses's transfer line has disappeared, cause for a second I thought my magic spell went wrong and my lines started disappearing on me as a result of my wrong magic doing!!

Working on a new spell that increases lines for everyone! Coming soon near you!

Luna

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgarymak said:
Just to let you know...my Transferred to Calgary office disappeared as well.
My 4th line in eCas was restored. It states the same as before.

Cheers,

SFD

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bonenza said:
Mine is still missing. Maybe it is really a sign in some cases.
No worries Bonenza,

We all should be fine! System Glitch I believe...

I am waiting for my test date and yesterday, my first thought was oh something is about to happen. Nothing happened yet. ;D ;D